BBC complaint outcome re Michael Stewart's comments

I must have the same server as the SPFL as I have not received the email yet. The only one I have received was to inform me that given the number of complaints (not clear whether this was a reference to the failed natsi or not) it would take longer to reply. I have now seen the reply i will get. I didn`t expect anything else to be honest BBC Scotland are not fit for purpose.

‘we are confident that our overall output on this subject’
The complaints were not in relation to the ‘overall output’ but rather on that clowns comments specifically.

Spot on. They’re quite deliberately addressing points no one raised or complained about so they can state there’s no case to answer.

No one accused Stewart of being racist. No accused Stewart of playing down racism. No one accused the BBC of their coverage not being fair and balanced.

What we were all accusing Stewart of was casting doubt on Kamara’s claim of being racially abused despite all the evidence and the core reason for Stewart’s warped views is because of the fairly obvious grudge he holds against Rangers. Something he copped a ton of flak for from anti racism campaigners and prominent black footballers.

Pacific Quay CSC know exactly what they’re up to here. The c*nts are at it. Plain and simple. Not for the first time their complaints “process” appears to be centred around admonishing and protecting presenters and employees rather than openly and honestly investigating an issue.

We all know that to be the case but how do we prove it?
The million dollar question.

Especially in Scotland, he would have already been called out for his shenanigans anywhere else.

Down here the wokistst and lefty luvvies would have been all over him like a rash.

Stewart is a wank employed by 19th Century Terrorist wanks. Stay away from BBC. Better for your mental health.

Spot on. They’re quite deliberately addressing points no one raised or complained about so they can state there’s no case to answer.

No one accused Stewart of being racist. No accused Stewart of playing down racism. No one accused the BBC of their coverage not being fair and balanced.

What we were all accusing Stewart of was casting doubt on Kamara’s claim of being racially abused despite all the evidence and the core reason for Stewart’s warped views is because of the fairly obvious grudge he holds against Rangers. Something he copped a ton of flak for from anti racism campaigners and prominent black footballers.

Pacific Quay CSC know exactly what they’re up to here. The c*nts are at it. Plain and simple. Not for the first time their complaints “process” appears to be centred around admonishing and protecting presenters and employees rather than openly and honestly investigating an issue.
That's their game though and they know it all too well.

When you make a complaint it has to go through the BBC internal process before ofcom will even think about opening a case.

The facts in this case are that the BBC have been buying time since the outset, they claimed that they required more time than stated in their own procedures to deal with this complaint due to "currently dealing with a higher than normal volume of cases" despite the fact everyone of those cases having received the exact same reply.

Simply put their tactics from the off were to stall for time in an attempt for the initial rush of anger to die down resulting in the follow up complaints escalating the issue to ofcom being far lower in volume.

It is now up to everyone who receives this whitewash of a reply to their initial complaint to follow up and take this matter further.

I know that I will.

Just had this response via e-mail...

Thank you for contacting us about BBC Radio Scotland’s Sportsound on 19 March.

We received complaints regarding contributor Michael Stewart’s comments about allegations of racial abuse during the Rangers v Slavia Prague Europa League match. To allow us to reply promptly and use the licence fee efficiently, we’re sending this response to everyone on behalf of the Editor, BBC Sport Scotland. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address the concerns raised.

Across our Sportsound programmes on Friday and Saturday (19 & 20 March) we involved a number of guests who’ve taken the position that, given the actions of the Slavia Prague player and the reaction of the Rangers players, the allegation of racial abuse is well-founded.

On Saturday, through Chris Iwelumo and Derek Ferguson (both Show Racism the Red card ambassadors) and Pat Bonner (who attended the match as a UEFA observer), we offered our audience a first-hand account of what could be seen inside the stadium, the views of those who have been subject to racist abuse in football and someone trying to eradicate it. On Friday we also spoke to Livingston captain Marvin Bartley, who again called out racist action within football and on social media platforms.

Regarding Michael Stewart’s contribution on the Friday night broadcast, Michael did not make any comments which could be described as racist or said to be condoning racism – it’s also worth noting, for context, that the programme was broadcast before Rangers’ Glen Kamara issued his own statement.

In making the point that UEFA have to reach their conclusion and that we should allow them to do so, Michael Stewart said:

“It definitely looks suspicious and your instinct is to say he’s racially abused Glen Kamara…I’m 99%, I’m 99% with you guys on this but that 1% for me is what draws me back from judging and confirming 100%.”

Talking about punishment, Michael added:

“…then the lip service and the token gestures, they don’t suffice, they really don’t and I think it gets to the stage where if a serious penalty is handed down like, for example, being suspended from European competition next season…”

On Saturday’s Sportsound programme, Michael Stewart was again involved in the discussion and said:

“It’s the right thing to do to try to put pressure on to UEFA to continue to do that so that it doesn’t just drift away. There needs to be a thorough investigation and if it’s found out to be exactly as Glen Kamara is saying it is and, to be honest, the statement he’s released there with (Bongani) Zungu – I think it was Chris mentioning there – as a corroborator, witness, then I think like everyone else in the country it’s very difficult to think anything other than what Glen Kamara is saying there is what’s going on and Slavia’s attempts to try to almost just deflect away from it, it’s not great, but you’ve got to allow this process to take place with UEFA so that justice is done for the victims here, Glen Kamara in particular, and then the punishment needs to be comparable with what’s going on with the big overall issue of racism and for me, and I said this last night, the players should be getting suspended – I’m not 100% sure about lifetime bans but at least you’re talking about a year ban where the player has time to genuinely think about his actions and re-assess and rehabilitate himself and the club should be getting banned from European competition.”

In conclusion, we are confident that our overall output on this subject has been fair, accurate and balanced, and our production teams across all of our platforms have taken great care to ensure we have appropriate guests.

We hope this is helpful, and thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team
Got the same email back today

Michael Stewart media career won't end in a bang, it will fizzle out slowly. He is playing a game that he just isn't clever enough to play. He will keep messing up and the phone will ring less and he will have to take smaller and smaller gigs. I despise Spiers and Sutton but intellectually they are in a different league to Stewart, who just doesn't have the brain power to pull off his media persona of anti Rangers contrarian. Michael if you are reading this my advice is if you can't be clever be nice it will help you pay the mortgage long term.

Stewart will end his own career shortly.

This will just add to his conceit...he thinks he’s now got a free pass. It’ll be his downfall.
He should have been ended after his rant concerning Jim Traynor. It is painfully obvious that Stewart has a serious problem with all things Rangers and these fuckwits give him a platform to spout his bile. This clowns arrogance will be the finish of him sometime in the near future.

Michael Stewart media career won't end in a bang, it will fizzle out slowly. He is playing a game that he just isn't clever enough to play. He will keep messing up and the phone will ring less and he will have to take smaller and smaller gigs. I despise Spiers and Sutton but intellectually they are in a different league to Stewart, who just doesn't have the brain power to pull off his media persona of anti Rangers contrarian. Michael if you are reading this my advice is if you can't be clever be nice it will help you pay the mortgage long term.
This should be it

UK wide condemnation for the incident, but this idiot questions if it happened

He wouldn't dare make a comment like that on 5Live

BBC Scotland are not fit for purpose

They are pro separatists and anti Rangers

The fact Glen plays for Rangers means cuunts like Stewart will be allowed to stir up shit

Look at the comments from Rio and Anton Ferdinand re Stewart’s inappropriate comments but BBC Scotland feel Stewart’s comments are acceptable

Another cover up by the BBC

They have plenty of experience of that and they will keep doing it until they are forced to accept people like Stewart are dodgy and unacceptable contributors as they are out of touch with the general public

Saying that Stewart is a vile racist apologist and he should be binned but seeing he is anti Rangers he will be allowed to stay and continue his anti Rangers agenda

I got same generic response. They havent answered half of what I raised including BBC Scotland as a whole treating my club with constant disrespect. They are infuriating!

As expected. They want to bore you away from the complaints process.

Escalate it to the next level of the complaints procedure and eventually you should get to Ofcom.

On a side note
I stupidly listened to sportsound sat and Sunday and both days they allowed that wank a monologue on Celtic players justifications to be included in the scotland squab, in particular Griffiths
Both days with little to no challenge.
I’d love to hear the editorial justification for that

That's their game though and they know it all too well.

When you make a complaint it has to go through the BBC internal process before ofcom will even think about opening a case.

The facts in this case are that the BBC have been buying time since the outset, they claimed that they required more time than stated in their own procedures to deal with this complaint due to "currently dealing with a higher than normal volume of cases" despite the fact everyone of those cases having received the exact same reply.

Simply put their tactics from the off were to stall for time in an attempt for the initial rush of anger to die down resulting in the follow up complaints escalating the issue to ofcom being far lower in volume.

It is now up to everyone who receives this whitewash of a reply to their initial complaint to follow up and take this matter further.

I know that I will.
Ofcom a definite option mate ? Could you post details on how to do it if u have to hand , thanks

Just had this response via e-mail...

Thank you for contacting us about BBC Radio Scotland’s Sportsound on 19 March.

We received complaints regarding contributor Michael Stewart’s comments about allegations of racial abuse during the Rangers v Slavia Prague Europa League match. To allow us to reply promptly and use the licence fee efficiently, we’re sending this response to everyone on behalf of the Editor, BBC Sport Scotland. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address the concerns raised.

Across our Sportsound programmes on Friday and Saturday (19 & 20 March) we involved a number of guests who’ve taken the position that, given the actions of the Slavia Prague player and the reaction of the Rangers players, the allegation of racial abuse is well-founded.

On Saturday, through Chris Iwelumo and Derek Ferguson (both Show Racism the Red card ambassadors) and Pat Bonner (who attended the match as a UEFA observer), we offered our audience a first-hand account of what could be seen inside the stadium, the views of those who have been subject to racist abuse in football and someone trying to eradicate it. On Friday we also spoke to Livingston captain Marvin Bartley, who again called out racist action within football and on social media platforms.

Regarding Michael Stewart’s contribution on the Friday night broadcast, Michael did not make any comments which could be described as racist or said to be condoning racism – it’s also worth noting, for context, that the programme was broadcast before Rangers’ Glen Kamara issued his own statement.

In making the point that UEFA have to reach their conclusion and that we should allow them to do so, Michael Stewart said:

“It definitely looks suspicious and your instinct is to say he’s racially abused Glen Kamara…I’m 99%, I’m 99% with you guys on this but that 1% for me is what draws me back from judging and confirming 100%.”

Talking about punishment, Michael added:

“…then the lip service and the token gestures, they don’t suffice, they really don’t and I think it gets to the stage where if a serious penalty is handed down like, for example, being suspended from European competition next season…”

On Saturday’s Sportsound programme, Michael Stewart was again involved in the discussion and said:

“It’s the right thing to do to try to put pressure on to UEFA to continue to do that so that it doesn’t just drift away. There needs to be a thorough investigation and if it’s found out to be exactly as Glen Kamara is saying it is and, to be honest, the statement he’s released there with (Bongani) Zungu – I think it was Chris mentioning there – as a corroborator, witness, then I think like everyone else in the country it’s very difficult to think anything other than what Glen Kamara is saying there is what’s going on and Slavia’s attempts to try to almost just deflect away from it, it’s not great, but you’ve got to allow this process to take place with UEFA so that justice is done for the victims here, Glen Kamara in particular, and then the punishment needs to be comparable with what’s going on with the big overall issue of racism and for me, and I said this last night, the players should be getting suspended – I’m not 100% sure about lifetime bans but at least you’re talking about a year ban where the player has time to genuinely think about his actions and re-assess and rehabilitate himself and the club should be getting banned from European competition.”

In conclusion, we are confident that our overall output on this subject has been fair, accurate and balanced, and our production teams across all of our platforms have taken great care to ensure we have appropriate guests.

We hope this is helpful, and thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team
Exact same

On a side note
I stupidly listened to sportsound sat and Sunday and both days they allowed that wank a monologue on Celtic players justifications to be included in the scotland squab, in particular Griffiths
Both days with little to no challenge.
I’d love to hear the editorial justification for that
The editorial justification is that they are discussing the producers favourite team. Thats about it.

I've had a few drinks tonight so might be off the mark here but it reads to me that as they had a couple of pundits on Glens side then then Stewart's stance provided balance. Would be interested in hearing the Ferdinand brothers view on the BBC reply as they were on the ball at the start

Typical arrogant response from the BBC . Patronising and offhandish and i wouldn't expect anything different . They still maintain that we have banned their reporter from Ibrox.

A good point well made.

You have to remember that the BBC exonerated itself from covering up Jimmy Saville's 40 year of sexual abuse .

The British Broadcasting Corporation let itself off

Let that sink in

Also haven't had a reply. Could be that we're getting emails in batches but could it also be that the wording of certain complaints has made them trickier to dismiss? Would be interesting (but impractical) to know what, if any, common threads there are between the complaints that have had an answer already and those that are still waiting. Either way Ofcom seems like the next logical step.

We all know that to be the case but how do we prove it?

You prove it by gathering and presenting evidence gained over a substantial period of time.

Imagine making a complaint that someone followed you home and therefore you are being stalked? Dismissed out of hand.

Imagine keeping records of someone following you home time after time? Much harder to be fobbed off.

Ive been saying it on here for years. Rangers need to employ an experienced and professional researcher to gather and present evidence of the bias, double standards and lies. Failure to do so allows our enemies to attack us day in and day out and individual complaints are a waste if time.

That’s a bit highhanded is it not? I actually did know that they compile reports/dossiers.

So, do former Rangers players attend Parkhead to observe their European games?
They have. None are involved this season from what I've seen.

Back