BBC Complaint re Tav Incident

EndOfDays

Received this complaint response from BBC re their reporting of the Tav fan incident, specifically the wording "The two then laid hands on each other", needless to say I have escalated to stage 2 of the process.

Thank you for contacting us regarding our reporting of the individual who confronted Rangers captain James Tavernier at Easter Road on 8 March.

We have received a range of feedback about our coverage of this story across TV, radio and online. Keeping in mind pressures on licence fee resources, this response seeks to address the key points raised. That said, we apologise in advance if any of your points haven’t been specifically addressed here.

The words used in our reporting – “The two then laid hands on each other before the fan was led away by police”; for example – were very carefully chosen, to be as neutral as possible, given the need for care with the possibility of legal action as a result of what transpired in the incident in question.

This approach was very much in line with that of most newspapers also covering this story, and also explains why we took steps to pixelate the face of the individual concerned and withheld his name.

Had the incident involved another team, our approach would’ve been the same. And we don’t agree with the view that this reporting, or the way it was edited, in any way suggested that James Tavernier shared any blame for the confrontation, or that it was indicative of bias against Rangers FC.

For reference this is BBC London's reporting of the Smalling incident (notice no pixalation) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47515481

A fan ran on to the pitch and shoved Manchester United defender Chris Smalling during his side's away match against Arsenal at Emirates Stadium.
The incident happened shortly after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had converted a 69th-minute penalty to give the Gunners a 2-0 lead against United.
After pushing Smalling, the man ran with his arms aloft towards the Gunners players celebrating their goal.
Smalling was unhurt and the fan was taken off the pitch and arrested.

Received this complaint response from BBC re their reporting of the Tav fan incident, specifically the wording "The two then laid hands on each other", needless to say I have escalated to stage 2 of the process.

For reference this is BBC London's reporting of the Smalling incident (notice no pixalation) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47515481
Well done mate. The more of us that go at them and stay at them the better.

Well done mate, they have an agenda it is plain to see.

It's necessary to escalate every complaint.
This is step one in the 'stick your fingers in your ears and hope it goes away' approach the pacific quay slugs adopt.
In way too many cases, we make it easy by letting it go.
They simply cannot claim the reporting isn't indication of bias, all they've done is highlight that every media outlet in Scotland is infested with 19th Century Terrorist rats while the English reporters are able to tell the story as it truly happened with professionalism.

We need as many people as possible to complain about innacuracies from the BBC it will make a difference if more people complain. Don't be rude just state facts there is a template on Club 1872 website to follow
Do you really think bbc will listen to our complaints?

Keep at it, they will template a set response even when rejecting your appeal, keep at it until the actual independent appeal comes. Absolute scum, hopefully this is in the dossier Traynor was talking about and is on its way down to HQ in London

I’m firing off a complaint that on Wednesday, the Sun, Daily Mail and STV evening news all featured the story that Steven Gerrard has been subjected to sectarian abuse. The BBC ignored the story. They then included a short comment or two on tonight’s evening news, a day after everyone else, and only because they had been shamed into it by others having reported it.

I am also waiting for them to arrange a shareen nanyerfanny debate with karaoke bouncing balls along the words as they play back the Sheep sectarian songs, and coverage of a press conference with a teary eyed Steven Gerrard crying about his kids not being subjected to sectarian abuse in Liverpool and not understanding why they do in the north east of Scotland.

Now, being serious, I am intent on asking them to account for the huge imbalance in coverage and air time given to Stevie Clarke compared with the abuse received by Gerrard. It’s editorially imbalanced and fails on their duty to be impartial.

This is what we’re up against and I say well done to the OP and I’ll be following suit.

Yes. They would never be anything other than neutral in such a situation (this report was after an arrest and before the trial)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/13940373

Hearts to go unpunished for fan assault on Neil Lennon

• 28 Jun 2011
  • From the sectionFootball
Sharethis page​
_53737377_lennon.jpg

A Hearts fan jumped from the stand at Tynecastle to attack Neil Lennon

Hearts will not be punished for the assault by a supporter on Celtic manager Neil Lennon at the end of last season at Tynecastle.
A fan ran on to the pitch and attacked Lennon during a Scottish Premier League game with Celtic on 11 May.

BBC Sport Scotland are a shower of mentally challenged bastards, look at their reporting of the sectarianism aimed at Gerrard:

Police Scotland are to investigate reports of sectarian chanting aimed at Rangers manager Steven Gerrard by Aberdeen fans.

The alleged incident came during the Pittodrie side's Scottish Cup quarter-final replay win at Ibrox on Tuesday.

A Police Scotland spokesperson told BBC Scotland that they "are aware of this matter and enquiries are ongoing".

BBC Scotland has also contacted the Scottish FA to establish whether it was in the match delegate's report.

Compare that to their, in-depth, almost candlelight, pray for the victim sytle reporting of the Steve Clarke abuse.

Unbiased my fuking arse!

I dont know if you can do this but have a look at how they reported the 'attack' on TLB. Did they mention TLB 'laying his boots' on the guy as he lay helpless in the ground?

This is what they wrote.

A fan ran on to the pitch and attacked Neil Lennon. No mention of Lennon kicking the guy while he lay on the ground.

Last edited:
Who honestly gives a feck? We are honking on the park and folk are bothered about what sh*te the BBC are printing. Jesus wept. Bigger fish to fry.

We need as many people as possible to complain about innacuracies from the BBC it will make a difference if more people complain. Don't be rude just state facts there is a template on Club 1872 website to follow
Mate I’ve lost count how many times I’ve complained to this sham organisation but unfortunately it’s self policing and utterly untouchable in anything it says and does, sure you wil get the odd meaningless apology but 2 days later it will go back to doing the same thing again.
It really needs the majority of this country to say enough is enough with regards to paying their tax on something not a lot of us even watch in this day and age.

How many times are you going to miss the point?
Or are you that thick you can only concentrate on one thing at a time.
It’s pointless. A total and utter waste of time. It makes us look like small minded petty paranoid bitter simpletons. Fck the BBC. If they are run by mentally challengeds then who gives a fck what nonsense they come up with anyway?

It’s pointless. A total and utter waste of time. It makes us look like small minded petty paranoid bitter simpletons. Fck the BBC. If they are run by mentally challengeds then who gives a fck what nonsense they come up with anyway?
It is never going to change if their bias reporting goes unchallenged and I do not think good Rangers fans that take the time to complain look like “small minded petty paranoid bitter simpletons”

Who honestly gives a feck? We are honking on the park and folk are bothered about what sh*te the BBC are printing. Jesus wept. Bigger fish to fry.

Jesus wept indeed. You carry on dealing with the on park issues and let others discuss things we might be able to affect.

They're systematically destroying our reputation but you dont give a %^*&. And dont think for a minute that refs arent influenced by the BBC output. Jim Traynor hinted at this with regards Morelos and the CO.

Let's know how you get on sorting out the team.

Do you really think bbc will listen to our complaints?
As someone who has frequently written to them and got the same old pish replies I will not waste any more of my time, sadly.

Until such times as the club take the bull by the horns and actually get closure to all this, then if they won`t do anything about it, neither will I.

It`s a political game now and way above me.

Nowadays every complaint goes on record, there is no way to hide it now. The more we complain the bigger the pile gets and eventually somebody has to do something about it. Eventually being the key word. Keep it up bears as I have done. Now I for one dont want them back but the bias must stop.

Back