BBC goal of the season 1981

I think it’s Morley’s goal for Villa.

A great team goal by Chelsea though and a rocket from Ivan Golac.

Yes, European Cup game.
That was the only goal of the first leg, Liverpool gubbed them 4-0 at Anfield.
Ye sorry OP that busy to watch the goals never read the text.Good find and enjoyed football from then.I Record the Big match revisited every Saturday morning on ITV 4.I Love it enjoy that better than today.

C for the team goal, absolutely brilliant.

Probably F for the best individual goal. Pace, drive and a stunning strike.

Great viewing, thanks for posting.
Too difficult to choose, possibly the Liverpool goal, some finish.

Loved those Liverpool and Tottenham strips, but especially the Ipswich ball

I know it is nowhere near the levels of today, but I forgot just how many great foreigners played in England in the 80's.

Tony Morley's.

Was this not the goal we seen from behind the goals during an intro to MOTD or some other programme.

Watching the Paul Mariner goal there reminded of what a great side Bobby Robson built at Ipswich and what a pity they never won the old Division one.

Watching the Paul Mariner goal there reminded of what a great side Bobby Robson built at Ipswich and what a pity they never won the old Division one.
Should have won it that year after beating Villa away near the end of the season. In fact they could have done a treble losing to Spurs in the FA Cup semi-final ending up with "only" the UEFA Cup.

Yes, European Cup game.
That was the only goal of the first leg, Liverpool gubbed them 4-0 at Anfield.
Aberdeen fancied their chances at Pittodrie, but Liverpool gave them a masterclass in scoring early and then killing the game. No one was better at doing that than Liverpool.

They lost seven of their last ten league games in the 80-81 season, an incredible collapse.

But what a squad they had - Butcher, Wark, Beattie, Muhren, Thiessen, Mariner, Mills,...,

None of them were particularly outstanding. Overhead kick was probably the best but poor year for goal of the season overall.

Back