BBC Lies this morning

Seem to recall us sniffing around Phil Babb.

Souness has come away with crap about MoJo being the first catholic signing completely ignoring the fact that John Spencer was already at the club.

Johnstone was the first ex scum RC player to play for Rangers, another first for the famous Glasgow Rangers
How long did it take them to sign an ex Ranger ?

To be fair they signed Alfie Conn. However, I would not be surprised to see 19th century transfers between the clubs. Hopefully another poster has this information to hand

The religion matters to no one. Even recently we’ve supposed to have been outraged at Jon Daly because he’s an Irish RC or Barisic because he goes to chapel.

I think our issue is with signing ‘Celtic men’. Obviously MoJo, McCann etc put everything behind them and became superstars but we’ve been stung by folk like O Halloran for example who bad attitude the entire time showed he had no interest here other than the pay check.

Our haters constantly want this to be about religion but it’s not.

To be fair they signed Alfie Conn. However, I would not be surprised to see 19th century transfers between the clubs. Hopefully another poster has this information to hand
Pre-warEdit

Strange that not so much was made of Basque clubs signing Basque players only, Yorkshire CC signing Yorkshire born players only, which I believe was true, but the lie that Rangers wouldn’t sign Catholic’s is looked upon with horror.

They conveniently forget that when we signed Mo Johnston that we already had John Spencer, who was a catholic, on our books.

On Catholics who knocked us back, I'm sure there was an interview with an Irish Republic international although english) who rumoured to have been approached where he said that he would have no issues signing and there was Houghton who I'm sure said he couldn't do that to his family.
Also Woods was asked what religion he was at his unveiling and David Holmes went tonto at the reporter saying that was not an issue for his rangers.
I suspect what he wanted to say was that some people who wanted us to sign Catho,ICS wouldn't be happy when we did.
Re Woods, the reporter stated after the interview, "for the record, Church of England "

It absolutely was Houghton and Collins, Souness spoke about it and said both actually seemed keen but then bottled it after speaking with their families who were against it.
John Sheridan was one who turned the move down at around the same time as Houghton. Collins was slightly later.

It seems to me that the BBC and SNP think they can do and say what they like and are answerable to no one. That means it’s up to us, the public, to do the walking away from these two bigoted organisations.

The religion matters to no one. Even recently we’ve supposed to have been outraged at Jon Daly because he’s an Irish RC or Barisic because he goes to chapel.

Big Jorg Albertz is also a church going RC. Obviously we have always hated him for that.:eek:

This whole historical signing policy crap has grown arms and legs over the years. Celtc were undeniably formed for sectarian reasons and as such were always going to attract the best RC players.

As the premier club in the country we would only be interested in signing the best players regardless of background, but if the best RCs knocked us back to join celtc why would we sign second rate RCs?

RC church influence was strong, certainly in the 70s. I was involved in Boys Brigade during that period and when RC kids occasionally joined our company they quickly quit after a visit from the local priest. Hardly surprising that prominent RC players such as Houghton would back away from us citing family issues as reason for not signing.

I'm pretty certain that Walter wanted to sign Paul Hartley,it obviously didn't happen (thank feck) and probably for the same reason as Houghton and Collins.

Pre-warEdit
Thanks mate

'Rangers don't sign catholics' used to be the big stick they constantly beat us with.

30 years later, the stick has been rebranded - 'Rangers didn't sign catholics'

Never mind that cfc had a policy of having a catholic only board, all inclusive my arrrse.

Or a history of covering up child abuse

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Rangers originally signed Roman Catholic players but appear to have stopped at some stage during the First World War. No-one has ever definitely established why or who was primarily responsible. Although the recruitment of footballers like Laurie Blyth and Don Kichenbrand has been cited as 'proof' the club didn't have a restrictive signing policy, it is far more likely these players were signed in the belief they were Protestants.

The board and support clearly viewed Rangers as representing the Scottish Protestant community and they would have argued that signing only Protestants was simply a logical extension of that position. In those days football clubs were certainly not perceived as 'equal opportunity employers' like the local supermarket.

In truth, no-one bothered too much until the mid-60s. We are talking about times when an Orange parade in the East End of Glasgow took priority over a Celtic-Rangers match and when the Parkhead club had been requested to stop flying the Irish tricolour from the main stand. The Republic of Ireland was not seen in anything like the terms it is today but rather as a hostile entity that had connived with Nazi Germany (it had to wait until the mid-50s before the USSR agreed to its membership of the UN).

Some injudicious words from Ralph Brand in an interview following his departure from Rangers marked the point when the 'signing policy' became a talking-point in the press. Jock Stein alluded to it, presumably in an attempt to seize the high-ground.

By the 70s much of the media saw a correlation between the 'signing policy' and the hooliganism that was increasingly troubling the club, although there wasn't really any evidence to support this point. By the 80s it was being seriously claimed that Rangers signing Catholics would end 'sectarianism' in Scotland. There is no doubt, though, that the club was coming under pressure and would have had to adapt in light of the increasing difficulty in fielding a top-class side comprising only Scots. Most Rangers fans I spoke to back then accepted the club had to change if we were to progress - by that stage negative campaigning could have a serious impact on advertising/sponsorship/etc.

Ultimately, those who castigate Rangers most vociferously have to accept that a club is defined by its board and its support. Players are only transient figures. Surveys carried out of the supports of Rangers and Celtic show that they are almost entirely Protestant or Catholic (or describe themselves thus).

The Mo Jo signing didn't really change anything in terms of the bigger picture. It is now only being referenced as a stick to beat Rangers with.

I think our issue is with signing ‘Celtic men’. Obviously MoJo, McCann etc put everything behind them and became superstars but we’ve been stung by folk like O Halloran for example who bad attitude the entire time showed he had no interest here other than the pay check.

Our haters constantly want this to be about religion but it’s not.
Pretty sure Daly is on record as saying that the only supporters that gave him any abuse about it was theirs.

Pre-warEdit
Every editor of newspapers papers and producers of TVs news programes should get a copy that and be warned if they lie again they will be in court.

Shit stirring of the highest order from the bold Jackson,a none story so well regurgitate so called sectarian nonsense to deflect from a real story unfolding of deviant practices that transpired at his beloved club over the last fifty years.

What exactly is a 'high profile catholic' ?

Is that someone like Adams, or McGuinness ?
Or is it anyone blessed by the man who lives in the vatican ?

Didn't know Mojo qualified
Any other nominations ?

Of course if they mean high profile player then wouldn't Don Kitchenbrand be in this category ?

Then with John Spencer & Phil Boersma both registered as players on our books - Mo was the third catholic at our club when he arrived

Is there anything remotely honest, trustworthy or true in this pile of $hite ?

The club need to publicly challenge this.

We had Catholic players before Celtic were even formed.

Another complaint in to BBC Scotland.

I’m guessing I’ll get the same bland standard reply as most with most complaints to them, but I’ll keep going with it after the first, inevitable, nonsense they come back with.

It absolutely was Houghton and Collins, Souness spoke about it and said both actually seemed keen but then bottled it after speaking with their families who were against it.
I thought Collins was after the Mo Johnston signing, could be wrong. Another rumour at the time was Graeme Sharp from Everton.

Complaint sent to BBC

Hope club take action against Gary Robertson and BBC Scotland for repeated lies and bias coverage against us

We have a file to prove it now the club should raise a court action and issue a full blown ban across BBC UK wide

Enough is enough

On Catholics who knocked us back, I'm sure there was an interview with an Irish Republic international although english) who rumoured to have been approached where he said that he would have no issues signing and there was Houghton who I'm sure said he couldn't do that to his family.
Also Woods was asked what religion he was at his unveiling and David Holmes went tonto at the reporter saying that was not an issue for his rangers.
I suspect what he wanted to say was that some people who wanted us to sign Catho,ICS wouldn't be happy when we did.

It has been reported this week that Ray Houghton and John Collins both knocked us back. McAvennie has today also claimed he knocked us back when he played with St Mirren so that makes three.

'Rangers don't sign catholics' used to be the big stick they constantly beat us with.

30 years later, the stick has been rebranded - 'Rangers didn't sign catholics'

Never mind that cfc had a policy of having a catholic only board, all inclusive my arrrse.

Indeed. The very reason that Big Jock Knew, was never invited onto the CFC Board.
A Club for All ! Nope

Complaint sent.

Comment below from Gary Robertson - Presenter of Good Morning Scotland - BBC Radio Scotland 92-95FM, 810MW & on digital

Verified account

@BBCGaryR
Follow Follow @BBCGaryR
More
It's 30 years since Mo Johnston became the first ever Catholic player to sign for Rangers.
Journalist Keith Jackson had a hand in breaking the story for the Sun newspaper. He's now the chief football writer for the @Daily_Record
@tedermeatballs
#bbcgms 0715

10:54 PM - 9 Jul 2019

This is complete lies - Mo Johnston was not the first catholic player to sign for Rangers. Please ask Mr Robertson to remove the offending tweet and apologise to Rangers FC and Rangers supporters for this blatant lie.

Another reason why Rangers fans think there is an agenda within the BBC to tarnish the name of Rangers FC.

I grudgingly pay a licence fee for your service - I don't see why I should be reading false information like this.

Thanks.

It has been reported this week that Ray Houghton and John Collins both knocked us back. McAvennie has today also claimed he knocked us back when he played with St Mirren so that makes three.

They're bigots but you wont read that in the press.

RCs refused to join the RUC then complained that they were under represented in the service.

Pretty sure Daly is on record as saying that the only supporters that gave him any abuse about it was theirs.
Tom English interviewed Jon Daly and insinuated that he had a hard time winning over the Rangers fans. Daly responded saying Rangers fans were brilliant with him and that it was people back in Ireland that gave him a hard time. Obviously not the response he was expecting to fuel his agenda.

Let's be blunt here - a sly nod and a wink (and a back-hander) from Hoolicom PR and, ta-dah!, another puff piece generated with the sole intent of denigrating Rangers and shuffling the spotlight away from the biggest scandal in European sporting history. Paranoid? Hell, no. Grounded in reality? Hell, yeah.

Trust me on this one, even if we were interested, we'd never have got Frank Gray.

But anyway, regards a so called sporting organisation who have always claimed they were open to all why did it take over a century to have a Protestant director?

I didn't know they had or have one ?

Back