BBC Lies this morning

The main problem I have with stuff like this is that it comes from BBC chaps who will be taken as serious by people not ITK. When DAZN showed the last Old Firm game, the amount of rubbish spouted by the reporter (IMHO unwittingly) regarding us and them - Catholics vs Protestants, Irish and whatnot - were purest early 80s stereotypes rather than anything informed, leading to lines such as: "Never ever would the Protestant Rangers make a guard of honour for the Catholic Celtic players."

That is the reason why this bile and blackmail from the BBC must be fought actively. The journos world-wide won`t know the state of affairs with BBC Scotland and take their word as gospel, relying on the respectability of the BBC as such.

As for the MoJo lie, we saw how they twisted the argument in every direction. From Catholics to Irish Catholics to Catholic ex-Celtic players and Irish Catholic ex-Celtic players and/or Catholic players of rank and name (such as MoJo).

The main bone of contention for them is that MoJo was a Celtic star man before he signed for us ... and IMHO, the Catholic bit was just peddling to stereotypes.

They won`t want to know about other Catholics at the time and before, they won`t want to know about what happened to MoJo after he left us. They have the propaganda machine on their side these days (as for a decade or more, MoJo wasn`t a topic) and utilize it to their tune. Just note the rubbish Humzah spouts about strict liability when all he relies on is more fiction than fact.

As for Catholics playing for Rangers, a number of lists have been published (and I`m not able to verify them), like ...

Archie 'Punch' Kyle 1904 - 1908
Willie Kivlichan 1906 - 1907
Colin Mainds 1906 - 1907
Tom Murray 1907 - 1908
Pat Lafferty 1886 (before Celtic existed)
Tom Dunbar 1891 - 1892
J Tutty 1899 - 1900
William Brown 1912
Joe Donnachie c.1914 - 1918
John Jackson 1917
Laurie Blyth 1951 - 1952
Don Kichenbrand 1955 - 1956
Hugh O'Neill 1976
John Spencer 1984

Different select (needs double checking)
Archie Kyle
Willie “Doc” Kivlichan (Who, like Johnston, was an Ex-Celtic player)
Colin Mainds
Tom Murray
Pat Lafferty
Johnny Jackson
James Tutty
Tom Dunbar (Brother of Michael Dunbar who became a Celtic director)
Joe Donnachie
Hugh O’Neill
Constantine McGhie
Don Kichenbrand
Laurie Blyth
John Spencer
McCallum
Brown
Wylie
John Clare
Johnny Kennedy
Charles McCafferty (Never made a first team appearance)
Daniel Divers
Chris Houston
John Manners
Bob Cleary
George (or Gorg) Banciewicz
Eddie Devenney
Terry Sloan
Brian Grubb
Edward Devlin
Andy Casey
Tom Cassidy
Bob "Dancer" Dunn
Peter Mone
"Starry" McLachlan,

... and from Bill Murray, The Old Firm – Sectarianism, Sport and Society in Scotland (John Donald Publishers, 1984) pp 64–5

Catholics who signed for Rangers before Johnston include, before the end of World War I: Pat Lafferty (1886), Tom Dunbar (1891–1892), J Tutty (1899–1900), Archie Kyle (1904–1908), Willie Kivlichan (1906–1907), Colin Mainds (1906–1907), Tom Murray (1907–1908), William Brown (1912), Joe Donnachie (circa.1914–1918) and John Jackson (1917). Thereafter, Catholic players prior to Mo Johnston's signing include: Laurie Blyth (1951–1952), Don Kitchenbrand (1955–1956), Hugh O'Neill (1976), John Spencer (1985–1992)

If you go through our players lists after MoJo, you`ll probably find dozens of Catholics ... but in all honesty, nobody actually cared whether Amato, Darcheville, Caniggia, Albertz, Cuellar and Co. were Catholics or not. They were people pulling on the jersey of the Famous and we adored them for that.

Tom English interviewed Jon Daly and insinuated that he had a hard time winning over the Rangers fans. Daly responded saying Rangers fans were brilliant with him and that it was people back in Ireland that gave him a hard time. Obviously not the response he was expecting to fuel his agenda.

Remember that.
Decent man Jon Daly and certainly more honest than Tom English.

I saw it as the first "high profile" catholic on one report.

Players away back in the dim and distant past were not exactly "high profile" even if they were internationalists or first team regulars.

Yes …I think that term has been added to the story over the years to make them not looking like complete prats for once again not doing their research.
Ah…too late!

It just grates me when the club don,t come out and put these lies to rest,They shouldn,t need too but if journos are determined not to do their job properly then the club need to highlight it.

What exactly is a 'high profile catholic' ?

Is that someone like Adams, or McGuinness ?
Or is it anyone blessed by the man who lives in the vatican ?

Didn't know Mojo qualified
Any other nominations ?

Of course if they mean high profile player then wouldn't Don Kitchenbrand be in this category ?

Then with John Spencer & Phil Boersma both registered as players on our books - Mo was the third catholic at our club when he arrived

Is there anything remotely honest, trustworthy or true in this pile of $hite ?

Phil Boresma was our physio mate... GS brought him in
Far I as I know he never actually played for us

It absolutely was Houghton and Collins, Souness spoke about it and said both actually seemed keen but then bottled it after speaking with their families who were against it.
Their families were bigots clearly. Stopped the huge earnings potential over being RC’s.

Frank McAvennie was approached by Graeme Souness to sign for us in 1987 when he was at West Ham.Remember him talking about it years ago.
If,of course he was telling the truth
Can't see that being true.Not the most honest of people.

I might be coming across as a bit thick here, can someone explain why Rangers have forever had the boot put into them for this non signing of catholics but we have signed catholics throughout our history. So the question is, why do they constantly claim that MJ was the first high profile catholic to join the club ?

It's pretty obvious that Rangers signed plenty of catholics and the issue with them over the years is signing catholics, nowhere does it say " Rangers have had a history of not signing high profile catholics", their issue is with the club signing catholics, we've signed loads of them, so what difference does it make whether they are high profile or not, so signing catholics that aren't high profile doesn't count.

Tom English interviewed Jon Daly and insinuated that he had a hard time winning over the Rangers fans. Daly responded saying Rangers fans were brilliant with him and that it was people back in Ireland that gave him a hard time. Obviously not the response he was expecting to fuel his agenda.
I liked Daly. Great competitor.

So the BBC apologise for a “gaffe”.
Oh dear, they must think they made a mistake and not in fact told outright lies. Nothing new then.

So the BBC apologise for a “gaffe”.
Oh dear, they must think they made a mistake and not in fact told outright lies. Nothing new then.
It confirms the agenda they have had since Opus Dei infiltrated they want to control issues and the news not report it

I might be coming across as a bit thick here, can someone explain why Rangers have forever had the boot put into them for this non signing of catholics but we have signed catholics throughout our history. So the question is, why do they constantly claim that MJ was the first high profile catholic to join the club ?

It's pretty obvious that Rangers signed plenty of catholics and the issue with them over the years is signing catholics, nowhere does it say " Rangers have had a history of not signing high profile catholics", their issue is with the club signing catholics, we've signed loads of them, so what difference does it make whether they are high profile or not, so signing catholics that aren't high profile doesn't count.
There is no doubt that at some time in our history, we decided against signing RC's and this didn't change till John Spencer signed. I've been watching Rangers since the 1950s and you just accepted we didn't sign RCs.

The country was predominantly protestant.
Celtic had first dibs on the best catholic players because of their influence in catholic communities and the "encouragement" of parish priests.

Rangers didnt sign high profile catholics because high profile catholics who were actually any good were likely to sign for Celtic or for other teams rather than Rangers. They were unlikely to sign for Rangers due to their own bigotry.

aSVw5GV.jpg

:mad:

It just grates me when the club don,t come out and put these lies to rest,They shouldn,t need too but if journos are determined not to do their job properly then the club need to highlight it.

That's the real problem. You have to expect your enemies to attack you but what about some defence from our own people.

I wonder who those were.

Certainly wasn’t wank macca vennie

That prick in the paper yesterday making out he turned us down! In his dreams- what a bawbag he is

The magnificent one confirmed the two it was Collins and Houghton that he had tried previously to sign. Mickvennie trying to make himself relevant

Was Mojo a Roman Catholic who took religion seriously, or was he an atheist used by the RCs to further their own propaganda?

John Collins shat it when he saw the reaction to MoJo. When you see what happened to Neil McCann’s family a decade later you can see why he backed out.

He would have been sensational for us btw.

I totally agree. Fair chance re Woods. Most Christophers I’ve ever known have been Catholics. It’s a bit like Pauls and Michaels.

I wonder who turned us down though.
In England First names count for nothing so I don`t think that would be a good indicator of denomination.

The country was predominantly protestant.
Celtic had first dibs on the best catholic players because of their influence in catholic communities and the "encouragement" of parish priests.

Rangers didnt sign high profile catholics because high profile catholics who were actually any good were likely to sign for Celtic or for other teams rather than Rangers. They were unlikely to sign for Rangers due to their own bigotry.
That's the correct answer right there, good post mate.

I always find it strange that they see our historic ‘policy’ as evil (even though it benefitted them if anything) without contextualising it, but shrug off their inability to report Paedos to the Police with an ‘Ach, it’s just how it was back then’.
Or the fact they wouldn't give their greatest ever manager a place on the football board because he wasn't a Catholic.

There is no doubt that at some time in our history, we decided against signing RC's and this didn't change till John Spencer signed. I've been watching Rangers since the 1950s and you just accepted we didn't sign RCs.

Where were all these RC'S that wanted to sign?

Throughout the 20th century certainly post 1916 any decent RC player would have signed for irafc.

So any RC signed by Rangers would have been inferior.

Any RC trying to sign for Rangers would have been hounded by their own just like Johnston, young Alan Maybury (ROI) Nacho FFS although I'm not sure if he is RC he certainly was perceived as one.

Then we have had the goalposts moving every five minutes. ....
RC.....hi profile???RC
............captain.........manager......from ROI.

If we signed the Pope they'd just make something else up.

Last edited:
IMHO signing Mojo has made no difference whatsoever to the perception of others regarding our overall signing policy, our open secular nature, or our implied moniker as a sectarian bogey man.

When you consider we've often had more rc's in our ranks when lining up agaist timmy than they've had on the pitch - you've got to wonder what it would take for us to be given the self-pronounced so-called all-inclusiveness they award themselves ?

Of course anyone with a hint of honesty who is exposed to their fans for any length of time knows they are about inclusive as a swarm of bees

But just as suggested by TTB above - signing the pope wouldn't change matters -

I responded to the BBC lies by stating that Rangers had catholics on their books before celtic were even formed. I also asked in what year did celtic sign their first Protestant. I'm still waiting for an answer on that one.

I also asked in what year did celtic sign their first Protestant. I'm still waiting for an answer on that one.

Indeed -- that's a question that I have asked before.

From what I recall reading, it was their manager Willie Maley who told his Board that they HAD to change their policy and start signing Protestants.

'Rangers don't sign catholics' used to be the big stick they constantly beat us with.

30 years later, the stick has been rebranded - 'Rangers didn't sign catholics'

Never mind that cfc had a policy of having a catholic only board, all inclusive my arrrse.

And let's not forget, Celtc d
The main problem I have with stuff like this is that it comes from BBC chaps who will be taken as serious by people not ITK. When DAZN showed the last Old Firm game, the amount of rubbish spouted by the reporter (IMHO unwittingly) regarding us and them - Catholics vs Protestants, Irish and whatnot - were purest early 80s stereotypes rather than anything informed, leading to lines such as: "Never ever would the Protestant Rangers make a guard of honour for the Catholic Celtic players."

That is the reason why this bile and blackmail from the BBC must be fought actively. The journos world-wide won`t know the state of affairs with BBC Scotland and take their word as gospel, relying on the respectability of the BBC as such.

As for the MoJo lie, we saw how they twisted the argument in every direction. From Catholics to Irish Catholics to Catholic ex-Celtic players and Irish Catholic ex-Celtic players and/or Catholic players of rank and name (such as MoJo).

The main bone of contention for them is that MoJo was a Celtic star man before he signed for us ... and IMHO, the Catholic bit was just peddling to stereotypes.

They won`t want to know about other Catholics at the time and before, they won`t want to know about what happened to MoJo after he left us. They have the propaganda machine on their side these days (as for a decade or more, MoJo wasn`t a topic) and utilize it to their tune. Just note the rubbish Humzah spouts about strict liability when all he relies on is more fiction than fact.

As for Catholics playing for Rangers, a number of lists have been published (and I`m not able to verify them), like ...

Archie 'Punch' Kyle 1904 - 1908
Willie Kivlichan 1906 - 1907
Colin Mainds 1906 - 1907
Tom Murray 1907 - 1908
Pat Lafferty 1886 (before Celtic existed)
Tom Dunbar 1891 - 1892
J Tutty 1899 - 1900
William Brown 1912
Joe Donnachie c.1914 - 1918
John Jackson 1917
Laurie Blyth 1951 - 1952
Don Kichenbrand 1955 - 1956
Hugh O'Neill 1976
John Spencer 1984

Different select (needs double checking)
Archie Kyle
Willie “Doc” Kivlichan (Who, like Johnston, was an Ex-Celtic player)
Colin Mainds
Tom Murray
Pat Lafferty
Johnny Jackson
James Tutty
Tom Dunbar (Brother of Michael Dunbar who became a Celtic director)
Joe Donnachie
Hugh O’Neill
Constantine McGhie
Don Kichenbrand
Laurie Blyth
John Spencer
McCallum
Brown
Wylie
John Clare
Johnny Kennedy
Charles McCafferty (Never made a first team appearance)
Daniel Divers
Chris Houston
John Manners
Bob Cleary
George (or Gorg) Banciewicz
Eddie Devenney
Terry Sloan
Brian Grubb
Edward Devlin
Andy Casey
Tom Cassidy
Bob "Dancer" Dunn
Peter Mone
"Starry" McLachlan,

... and from Bill Murray, The Old Firm – Sectarianism, Sport and Society in Scotland (John Donald Publishers, 1984) pp 64–5

If you go through our players lists after MoJo, you`ll probably find dozens of Catholics ... but in all honesty, nobody actually cared whether Amato, Darcheville, Caniggia, Albertz, Cuellar and Co. were Catholics or not. They were people pulling on the jersey of the Famous and we adored them for that.

Outstanding post.

The only people who actually give a phuck about a players religion in this country are them

Celtic are the only sectarian club in Scotland. Formed by catholics for Catholics.

That's the definition of sectarianism

I totally agree. Fair chance re Woods. Most Christophers I’ve ever known have been Catholics. It’s a bit like Pauls and Michaels.

I wonder who turned us down though.

Hmmm, ‘It’s a bit like Paul’s and Michael’s’; in your opinion I am guessing?
I’ve only ever known one Michael that was a catholic (he was a revolting, plastic Paddy supporter of the paedophile harbourers; that I had the great misfortune to have to work with).
Therefore, I would say yer generalising a bit too much there, certainly for my liking and possibly for that chap Mr Stone too :p

Didn't we have a catholic player before that lot even existed?

Was wondering what negative they'd be reporting on after a comfortable win for us. They're really scraping the barrel here.

We did, at one point we had the brother of a Celtic director on our books. Stupidly gave a friend a loan of all my copies of Rangers Historian and early Follow Follow’s to a friend about 6 months before they left the country. Or I’d tell you who it was.

I got this from the complaints team today....

Thanks for contacting us with your comments regarding Good Morning Scotland on 10 July and a tweet from presenter Gary Robertson.

The programme and tweet should have referred to Maurice Johnston as the first “high-profile” Catholic player to sign for Rangers. Thank you for bringing this error to our attention, we’ve published the following correction:

We’ve also included your comments in our overnight reports, among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC ensuring that complaints are seen quickly by the right people.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

“Error”.........dickheads.

I got this from the complaints team today....

Thanks for contacting us with your comments regarding Good Morning Scotland on 10 July and a tweet from presenter Gary Robertson.

The programme and tweet should have referred to Maurice Johnston as the first “high-profile” Catholic player to sign for Rangers. Thank you for bringing this error to our attention, we’ve published the following correction:

We’ve also included your comments in our overnight reports, among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC ensuring that complaints are seen quickly by the right people.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

“Error”.........dickheads.

Same response I got. Idiots.

Alfie Conn wasn’t a pape.

We had three on the books at the same time in the fifties and we go much further back than that.

Also, John Spencer never gets mentioned from the mentally challenged press.

Who were the three in the fifties at the same time?? That is news to me. Don Kitchenbrand would be one.

No discussion about any signing policy is complete without a mention of the treatment of Mark Walters.

One of the most important signings in the history of Scottish Football and that's how it was received.

Back