Bbc news segment about football fans this morning

Scotty_boy90

Just watched a segment on bbc news and a fan photographer who takes photos all round the ground. The segment spoke generally about football fans supporting their clubs and how fans feel going to watch their team, something to believe in, something to worship.

As I was watching it I couldn't help reflect on how much I miss going to Ibrox to see our team. More so than just going to Ibrox but it is the whole package of going with my dad, spending time with him doing something we both love.

The feeling of being with a stadium full of bears all there to share our passion for our club is unbeatable. In 2012 we nearly lost our team but we never had an extended time away from Ibrox like we have had now.

I can't wait for that first game when Ibrox is packed full again. I hope there is a cracking atmosphere with us being able to appreciate what our club means to us.

Take care bears, let's hope we are together again in Ibrox soon.

Just watched a segment on bbc news and a fan photographer who takes photos all round the ground. The segment spoke generally about football fans supporting their clubs and how fans feel going to watch their team, something to believe in, something to worship.

As I was watching it I couldn't help reflect on how much I miss going to Ibrox to see our team. More so than just going to Ibrox but it is the whole package of going with my dad, spending time with him doing something we both love.

The feeling of being with a stadium full of bears all there to share our passion for our club is unbeatable. In 2012 we nearly lost our team but we never had an extended time away from Ibrox like we have had now.

I can't wait for that first game when Ibrox is packed full again. I hope there is a cracking atmosphere with us being able to appreciate what our club means to us.

I know exactly how you feel

Well said !

It’s a big miss, and I’m fortunate that I can watch the games at the Gallant Pioneer Blackpool, where there’s always a great atmosphere.

It was a community.

That's gone

Been going to Ibrox every season since 94 when I got a season ticket, hate it when there’s a game on at home and I cannot get in to see the Rangers play ie away on holiday or working but don’t think we will get in this season anyway, at least we know thousands of Bears every other Saturday are feeling exactly the same

Problem is that the longer this goes on, the more people will get out of the habit oh going, realise how much they spend going to a game and will find other things to do

a number won’t return and there will be a catastrophic impact on the businesses ( pubs/ coach companies etc) that rely on football traffic

Problem is that the longer this goes on, the more people will get out of the habit oh going, realise how much they spend going to a game and will find other things to do

a number won’t return and there will be a catastrophic impact on the businesses ( pubs/ coach companies etc) that rely on football traffic
Not sure i would agree mate,for everyone that gets out the habit another bear will take there place.

I sat down to take a quick look at what going to football costs me in terms of travel etc. 150 mile round trip, bite to eat etc. for league games only and its about £550. By the time I add in Euro games, cup games then nearer £1000. + my ST.
Do I grudge it? Not one £.
I lived too far away from Ibrox for the best part of 35 years and relish every visit.

Last edited:
I sat down to take a quick look at what going to football costs me in terms of travel etc. 150 mile round trip, bite to eat etc. for league games only and its about £550. By the time I add in Euro games, cup games then nearer £1000. + my ST.
I lived to far away from Ibrox for the best part of 35 years and relish every visit.
Totally agree, I have 2 season tickets and travel up from Essex for most league games. The cost of flights/ hotels/ refreshments etc. This lockdown has shown how much cash I spend follow following. Won’t stop me though going back

I lived to far away from Ibrox for the best part of 35 years and relish every visit.
Quite right mate it just depends on what you want to spend your money on.I have a mate who thinks nothing of spending £70.00 a week on fags 3.5k a year ffs and has chucked his sky package because it was £100.00 a month.

Totally agree, I have 2 season tickets and travel up from Essex for most league games. The cost of flights/ hotels/ refreshments etc. This lockdown has shown how much cash I spend follow following. Won’t stop me though going back
Exactly the same have 2 season tickets but my son pays for one of them dont go every home game we can do the train in one day but its tight sometimes
Out with the wife this afternoon just said to her miss good session going to see rangers had the eye roll

I get what you're saying and have saved a ton of money watching at home with a few cans. Despite the convenience (and getting to watch the games with my dad), it's just not the same.

I'm missing heading to the pub for back of 11/12 and meeting up with everyone, catch some of the early game, the bus into Ibrox and having a laugh, catching up with folk around you at the game, the smell of the grass, the shouts, the roars, getting back to the bus, despairing that your 3pm coupon was really fucked by 3.05, the laugh on the return journey before heading back up the road a wee bit tipsy.

Don't give a fùck if it cost me the guts of 30-40 quid. It's a helluva better than watching a closed door game with fake crowd noise.

I get what you're saying and have saved a ton of money watching at home with a few cans. Despite the convenience (and getting to watch the games with my dad), it's just not the same.

I'm missing heading to the pub for back of 11/12 and meeting up with everyone, catch some of the early game, the bus into Ibrox and having a laugh, catching up with folk around you at the game, the smell of the grass, the shouts, the roars, getting back to the bus, despairing that your 3pm coupon was really fucked by 3.05, the laugh on the return journey before heading back up the road a wee bit tipsy.

Don't give a fùck if it cost me the guts of 30-40 quid. It's a helluva better than watching a closed door game with fake crowd noise.

Absolutely mate, I think that's what I was trying to say in the op. Going to see Rangers is more than just watching the Rangers, there is loads more to it than that.

It's a big part of 'normal' life and I'm missing all that normality.

It seems governments are hell bent on destroying everything we know because there's a half per cent chance we will die of illness. I actually think empty stadiums will go on beyond this season.
Get that, but a good chance you could pass it on to someone who will. My mate was in a coma for 34 days and his family told to expect the worst! Younger than me and is having physio to learn to walk again. I don't subscribe to any theories regarding the Govt hell bent on destroying everything. We are all in this together and have a joint responsibility beyond our own hierarchical needs mate.

Get that, but a good chance you could pass it on to someone who will. My mate was in a coma for 34 days and his family told to expect the worst! Younger than me and is having physio to learn to walk again. I don't subscribe to any theories regarding the Govt hell bent on destroying everything. We are all in this together and have a joint responsibility beyond our own hierarchical needs mate.

Hope your mate is on the mend mate.

Its something we all miss, but keeping on track for 55 is certainly dulling the pain for me at the moment.

I moved abroad 5 years ago, not getting to Ibrox every other Saturday is one of the things i miss hugely. U don't realise how much u miss it until u can't actually go.
I found that when I moved down to England many years ago... I could easily enough watch most Rangers games on the TV but I painfully missed the actual experience of meeting my mates, a few pints & a laugh with them, walking up to the ground, that “being at the match” feeling.

I find this empty stadium football on the TV with canned crowd noise to be incredibly fake and I’m not a fan at all. I like how this Rangers team is shaping up and I’ll watch our matches of course but the general watching of English games or even some of the non-Rangers European stuff when it comes back in full... I’m just not that interested.

I lived too far away from Ibrox for the best part of 35 years and relish every visit.
I’m similar we travel from Aberdeenshire I miss the banter in the car, stopping to get a coffee in Dundee going for a McDonalds before the game (the only time I eat one!). Then meeting the boys that have sat next to me for 30+ years and then the post game chat on the way home. I even miss getting in at 1am after a European game!

Look forward to the day we can all get back to cheer on the Famous.
Miss my pint, the banter, the bus to the game and having a chat with all my 'stadium neighbors'.

I hope they find a vaccine and we can all get back next season.

Back