BBC Report: Scott Mullen

jaws73

Official Ticketer
Who is this guy Scott Mullen (BBC Scotland)?

I thought the written report on a football match was a dying (if not already dead) art but there is a wee bit of hope yet. This was a wee bit of a throw back to the days when I got my game reports from the sports sections:

".....Not for the first time, Rangers faced a daunting task under a dark sky in Govan, only to send a household name away beleaguered and bemused into the chilled night. Spartak Moscow. Villarreal. Legia Warsaw. Feyenoord. And now Porto. All have come to Glasgow, all sent away again without even scoring a goal.

Plenty has been made of the European ties across the city at Celtic Park. And rightly so. Yet there is something fascinating about watching Rangers on these evenings. For a group largely untested at this level prior to last year, there is a swagger and courage to their play.

Against Sergio Conceicao's men, they survived an early scare to at least make the first half competitive, before fearlessly dictating the play once they had their noses in front.

Gerrard stuck with the same team which caused Porto so many problems in Portugal, although they were forced to ride their luck in the opening stages, Glen Kamara showing his acrobatic side to clear Pepe's glanced effort off the goal line. Conor Goldson would smash a ball clear in the second half, as well.

At the other end, Rangers struggled to show composure in the final third, a mixture of shots and crosses nestling somewhere in the Broomloan Road end. But after the break, flickering moments hinted at a spark coming with Pepe going off early for the visitors.

Ryan Kent was proving to be a nuisance. Past one player he turned. Then another. Then came the shot from the edge of the area. The save by Agustin Marchesin triggered a corner and rumble of hope in the stands.

And then the moment came. Courageous play from James Tavernier on the right led to the ball being nudged to Ryan Jack. Rangers' man of the moment did not fail, his cross from the right finding its target. Morelos allowed it to run across his body at the edge of the area with the merest of first touches.

As Ibrox held its breath, his left foot met the ball on the half volley just before it floated out of reach to arrow a shot across Marchesin and in. Ibrox erupted. Morelos roared back in a primal outpouring of emotion.

If one nearly lifted the roof, the second moments later almost launched it into orbit.

Morelos was the provider, this time out on the left. A pinpoint cutback was gathered 20 yards out by Davis. The Northern Irishman launched an effort on target, but the telling nick off of Ivan Marcano - the man who was rolled for the first - sent the ball careering by the stranded Porto goalkeeper.

There was nowhere for Porto to go. No way of Rangers letting this one slip. Another big European night at Ibrox. Now on to Feyenoord, and another foreign experience for Gerrard to potentially savour...."

I thought the written report on a football match was a dying (if not already dead) art but there is a wee bit of hope yet. This was a wee bit of a throw back to the days when I got my game reports from the sports sections:

".....Not for the first time, Rangers faced a daunting task under a dark sky in Govan, only to send a household name away beleaguered and bemused into the chilled night. Spartak Moscow. Villarreal. Legia Warsaw. Feyenoord. And now Porto. All have come to Glasgow, all sent away again without even scoring a goal.

Plenty has been made of the European ties across the city at Celtic Park. And rightly so. Yet there is something fascinating about watching Rangers on these evenings. For a group largely untested at this level prior to last year, there is a swagger and courage to their play.

Against Sergio Conceicao's men, they survived an early scare to at least make the first half competitive, before fearlessly dictating the play once they had their noses in front.

Gerrard stuck with the same team which caused Porto so many problems in Portugal, although they were forced to ride their luck in the opening stages, Glen Kamara showing his acrobatic side to clear Pepe's glanced effort off the goal line. Conor Goldson would smash a ball clear in the second half, as well.

At the other end, Rangers struggled to show composure in the final third, a mixture of shots and crosses nestling somewhere in the Broomloan Road end. But after the break, flickering moments hinted at a spark coming with Pepe going off early for the visitors.

Ryan Kent was proving to be a nuisance. Past one player he turned. Then another. Then came the shot from the edge of the area. The save by Agustin Marchesin triggered a corner and rumble of hope in the stands.

And then the moment came. Courageous play from James Tavernier on the right led to the ball being nudged to Ryan Jack. Rangers' man of the moment did not fail, his cross from the right finding its target. Morelos allowed it to run across his body at the edge of the area with the merest of first touches.

As Ibrox held its breath, his left foot met the ball on the half volley just before it floated out of reach to arrow a shot across Marchesin and in. Ibrox erupted. Morelos roared back in a primal outpouring of emotion.

If one nearly lifted the roof, the second moments later almost launched it into orbit.

Morelos was the provider, this time out on the left. A pinpoint cutback was gathered 20 yards out by Davis. The Northern Irishman launched an effort on target, but the telling nick off of Ivan Marcano - the man who was rolled for the first - sent the ball careering by the stranded Porto goalkeeper.

There was nowhere for Porto to go. No way of Rangers letting this one slip. Another big European night at Ibrox. Now on to Feyenoord, and another foreign experience for Gerrard to potentially savour...."

That's an excellent report. Proper descriptive journalism.

The report is actually correct, other diddies had not given Pepe the credit for the flick which Kamara cleared.
The writer commenting on the action is quite refreshing.

I think this journalist needs praise. No matter if he is leaning towards one half of the old firm or not he has done his job professionally. Reported a match without a bitter twist that has become the norm. After all, BBC journalists are supposed to be unbiased. Especially as they are working for a public platform. His colleagues are as well working for the Celtic View or whatever their rag is called.

Now can you imagine reading this fair report but it was compiled by the usual suspects within the BBC. You would think it was on the 1st of April.

A BBC journalist being unbiased reporting on Rangers.
Not something we have came to expect from Pacific Quay.

55 must be on the horizon :))

well i read it and had the goosebumps from being there last night all over again, for me the mark of a great article

in other terms, are true reflection. As I said fair and unbiased. Something we have not seen from the BBC in many years. I expect this journo to be moved on to cover the east coast or something. He wont last long covering west of scotland sport in an unbiased manner.

Got it right about the stand going into orbit. I was near the man on the moon when Davis scored. Nice to read decent reports for a change

Maybe it's finally dawned on London that we could well be champions this season, and Pacific Quay's boycott is going to make them look stupid if they won't get an interview with SG

The guys career in the BBC this morning after publishing that;

images

Maybe it's finally dawned on London that we could well be champions this season, and Pacific Quay's boycott is going to make them look stupid if they won't get an interview with SG

I would love to draw an English team if we get over the line. Can you imagine the English BBC explaining to the Manchester or London public that there a blackout of Rangers? And all the complaints regarding BBC Scotland are aired for all to view.

Ignore the fact it's about us. It's a well written and upbeat article, a massive improvement on the usual BBC Scotland negativity. You couldn't imagine English or McLaughlin penning this about Scottish football, them excepted

Scott Mullen used to hold a senior position in sport at the Herald before joining BBC Scotland but don't know much more about him

So

Sorry but I can’t believe this came out of The Biased Broadcasting Company, and if it did, how long did it take till the writer of the article received his P45? LOL

Refreshingly fair,only thing I've got against all reports,is this one about goldson clearing off the line,it was no where near the fn line!

Read that report this morning with disbelief, that rhat faced skank Gollum will not be happy it was so favourable towards us.

That was like reading a match report from a few decades ago, very refreshing!

Many of us will still remember the Bob Crampsey’s and Hugh Taylor’s etc etc from the 1960s, I wonder how many people in another 50 years will remember any of today’s Scottish sports ‘journalists’ for their (lack of) talent!

You can tell that Tom Irish is not back. He will be apoplectic when he reads that. I read it last night and thought I was seeing things,.
It is so un BBC like that I could not get my head round it.
shame for the lad as there is no way Pacific Quay will continue to let him write like that about us!

That was like reading a match report from a few decades ago, very refreshing!

Many of us will still remember the Bob Crampsey’s and Hugh Taylor’s etc etc from the 1960s, I wonder how many people in another 50 years will remember any of today’s Scottish sports ‘journalists’ for their (lack of) talent!
It’s like the reports from the old Saturday evening Sports Times. Very good stuff and well written. Compare with the Leckie bullsh*t in the other thread

You can tell that Tom Irish is not back. He will be apoplectic when he reads that. I read it last night and thought I was seeing things,.
It is so un BBC like that I could not get my head round it.
shame for the lad as there is no way Pacific Quay will continue to let him write like that about us!

he was actually giving us praise on Twitter last night, so I guess he was hacked :cool:

noticed we got mentioned on News 24 last night with that wee blonde from Northern Ireland smiling away, however later on, there was a Europa League report thing which mentioned everybody but us (even European teams), there was a graphic of "selected results" but our group was omitted. You couldn't even find out our result on the screen, never mind somebody mentioning it

strange because I've watched that before and they will always mention the scores from all teams

No way, this guy can't be employed by Pacific Quay? Well if he is, he's getting sacked for veering way off the party line.

Back