BBC Report: Scott Mullen

I know there’s nothing in a name nowadays but don’t know too many Mullen’s that didn’t go to schools being with Saint......
'Mullen' rings alarm bells with me but it's not always conclusive.

Nor is 'Milne' but I find that 'Milne' pronouced 'Mulne or Mullen' is a giveaway.

(As is 'Shoes' for 'Hughes.')

How that report got through will be the main talking point for ages but all in all very accurate.

That's an excellent report. Proper descriptive journalism.

Exactly what I Was thinking. Brilliantly written. Really draws you into the atmosphere of the evening.

Sadly click bait headlines slating our support or having digs at our players seem to have become such the norm for match reports of our games that this stands out a mile.

Saw the surname and feared the worst.

Excellent piece of journalism that as others have said, was how it used to be. A blow by blow account of the game without any smartarsed comments or hidden agendas.

It wont catch on but good luck son.

Who is this guy Scott Mullen (BBC Scotland)?

I thought the written report on a football match was a dying (if not already dead) art but there is a wee bit of hope yet. This was a wee bit of a throw back to the days when I got my game reports from the sports sections:

".....Not for the first time, Rangers faced a daunting task under a dark sky in Govan, only to send a household name away beleaguered and bemused into the chilled night. Spartak Moscow. Villarreal. Legia Warsaw. Feyenoord. And now Porto. All have come to Glasgow, all sent away again without even scoring a goal.

Plenty has been made of the European ties across the city at Celtic Park. And rightly so. Yet there is something fascinating about watching Rangers on these evenings. For a group largely untested at this level prior to last year, there is a swagger and courage to their play.

Against Sergio Conceicao's men, they survived an early scare to at least make the first half competitive, before fearlessly dictating the play once they had their noses in front.

Gerrard stuck with the same team which caused Porto so many problems in Portugal, although they were forced to ride their luck in the opening stages, Glen Kamara showing his acrobatic side to clear Pepe's glanced effort off the goal line. Conor Goldson would smash a ball clear in the second half, as well.

At the other end, Rangers struggled to show composure in the final third, a mixture of shots and crosses nestling somewhere in the Broomloan Road end. But after the break, flickering moments hinted at a spark coming with Pepe going off early for the visitors.

Ryan Kent was proving to be a nuisance. Past one player he turned. Then another. Then came the shot from the edge of the area. The save by Agustin Marchesin triggered a corner and rumble of hope in the stands.

And then the moment came. Courageous play from James Tavernier on the right led to the ball being nudged to Ryan Jack. Rangers' man of the moment did not fail, his cross from the right finding its target. Morelos allowed it to run across his body at the edge of the area with the merest of first touches.

As Ibrox held its breath, his left foot met the ball on the half volley just before it floated out of reach to arrow a shot across Marchesin and in. Ibrox erupted. Morelos roared back in a primal outpouring of emotion.

If one nearly lifted the roof, the second moments later almost launched it into orbit.

Morelos was the provider, this time out on the left. A pinpoint cutback was gathered 20 yards out by Davis. The Northern Irishman launched an effort on target, but the telling nick off of Ivan Marcano - the man who was rolled for the first - sent the ball careering by the stranded Porto goalkeeper.

There was nowhere for Porto to go. No way of Rangers letting this one slip. Another big European night at Ibrox. Now on to Feyenoord, and another foreign experience for Gerrard to potentially savour...."
That is a well-written article.
Nice piece of positive football journalism.
The guy obviously likes football.

just shows you that fans do actually want good content like this. The Athletic have proven that people will actually pay for it.

His article wasn't OTT or biased, just a good report on what was a fabulous night for Rangers.
It's absolutely telling that an honest report on Rangers could be the end of his career at a certain media outlet...that's so telling!
If anyone thinks this opinion is an over exaggeration, let's just see how long he's employed at that cesspit!
This needs bookmarked!

He isn't new to journalism game. As above, he was at the Herald etc before the BBC. Think he has been working for about 12 years now.

First time I have read a proper march report for years. The childish ramblings of Leckie, Jackson, Speirs etc had became the norm.

must be freelance, there is no way he would be employed at that corporation without passing the JST. (Jim Spence Test).

His article wasn't OTT or biased, just a good report on what was a fabulous night for Rangers.
It's absolutely telling that an honest report on Rangers could be the end of his career at a certain media outlet...that's so telling!
If anyone thinks this opinion is an over exaggeration, let's just see how long he's employed at that cesspit!
This needs bookmarked!

The last stand out at Pacific Quay (through simply being fair minded) was Richard Wilson, regularly confusing the likes of Spiers and English with a factual analysis of Rangers matters, rather than the BBC agenda.

Strangely enough, he seems to have been moved on or at least sidelined recently.

A fair and balanced article on Rangers?
giphy.gif

He didn't say Goldson cleared off the line. He simply said Goldson smashed one away.
Misread me mate all other reports including the biased bigoted corrupt Scotland ,daily rhebel stated rangers cleared two off their lines,my point in all of it it was no where near the fn line,just the usual,shit reporting we get,I did say the guts report was very refreshing!

Back