BBC Scotland: Domestic Abuse - Rangers name dropped

Yes mate your right I don't do anything except buy my season ticket every year,pay my dues to Club 1872 every month buy my rising stars tickets when I can and support rangers charities when I can.
You may consider me as a nobody and someone you can insult but I am just a regular punter like thousands of other Bears. I am as entitled to an opinion as you are.
You asked me what I’m doing to fight back against these abusers of power, well not paying my TV license and complaining to my MP for a start, writing to the club asking why the feel the need to be so silent when the club is being attacked from every direction. Which I see from your poor me statement is far more than you’re doing.
Of course your entitled to your opinion but when you come over as a naive, blinkered person who after countless and relentless attacks on us stil can’t see what is blatantly in front of you don’t be surprised if people’s frustrations get the better of them and your woe is me act really doesn’t do you any favours.

A systematic attempt to impair and undermine the club and its brand identity.
Is that a thing? I genuinely don’t know, I just assume the bbc probably have people who know exactly what they can do and lawyers who can confirm or reword accordingly.

I took a quick look at her twitter account, and in particular who she follows. Out of just over 2200 accounts the only one I could see relating to football was Luke Shanley, the Sky Sports news reporter in Scotland. The overwhelming majority of her follows are from the legal profession. I’d expected to see a lot of SNP/Indy pish but it looks as though she’s a Labour voter - certainly a Guardian reader. Oh and she follows Angela Haggerty but I would guess the link there is that Haggerty occasionally wrote for a legal magazine The Firm, indeed Gilchrist follows the magazine’s twitter.

None of which make her comments acceptable, but from what she follows on Twitter she doesn’t appear to be a raging tim, doesn’t appear interested in football at all. Clearly a smart woman who knows the law, I’m really confused why she chose to slander the club in this way.

The statue at BBC headquarters. Says it all really.

qpmrk5.jpg
The sculptor of that (Eric Gill ) was a pedophile who raped his own daughters, had sex with his sister and even the odd animal. He was proud of every sick act. The BBC are aware of his crimes and refuse to remove the statue....that's the type of company and personnel we are dealing with

She's done nothing but trivialize the main issue here by having a silly little pop at us!
I personally think a question mark should be put on her job position... at the very least.
I take it she doesn't work fort he BBC,to be fair to them not that I want to it's not their problem, granted who was conducting the interview should have made her clarify her comments.

I take it she doesn't work fort he BBC,to be fair to them not that I want to it's not their problem, granted who was conducting the interview should have made her clarify her comments.

why? They would have known what she was going to say as they would have had a meeting with her to discuss the subject matter and she would have told them what she was going to say so they would know the direction that the debate would go

You asked me what I’m doing to fight back against these abusers of power, well not paying my TV license and complaining to my MP for a start, writing to the club asking why the feel the need to be so silent when the club is being attacked from every direction. Which I see from your poor me statement is far more than you’re doing.
Of course your entitled to your opinion but when you come over as a naive, blinkered person who after countless and relentless attacks on us stil can’t see what is blatantly in front of you don’t be surprised if people’s frustrations get the better of them and your woe is me act really doesn’t do you any favours.
Sorry mate you are miles off here and if anyone's naive you should look in the mirror.I have previously stated that there are people out there who do not wish our Club well.You are not going to change that by not paying your TV licence or insulting people at our Club or indeed fellow posters.
If you are in disagreement with somebody the first thing to do is remain calm and listen to what they are saying,however unsavoury that may be.You can then formulate a plan on how to deal with it.Basically you need to be a bit more clever and they will hang themself with their own noose.
By comming over all aggressive you are playing in to their hands.

I took a quick look at her twitter account, and in particular who she follows. Out of just over 2200 accounts the only one I could see relating to football was Luke Shanley, the Sky Sports news reporter in Scotland. The overwhelming majority of her follows are from the legal profession. I’d expected to see a lot of SNP/Indy pish but it looks as though she’s a Labour voter - certainly a Guardian reader. Oh and she follows Angela Haggerty but I would guess the link there is that Haggerty occasionally wrote for a legal magazine The Firm, indeed Gilchrist follows the magazine’s twitter.

None of which make her comments acceptable, but from what she follows on Twitter she doesn’t appear to be a raging tim, doesn’t appear interested in football at all. Clearly a smart woman who knows the law, I’m really confused why she chose to slander the club in this way.

I wonder if she attended the red mass and for me being a pal of McCalpine and Haggerty, it makes them sound like the 3 witches from macbeth!

I know Rangers made a statement of complaint...
Was there any apology after Rangers complained

Absolute nonsense story. Folk getting offended by this need a slap. She clearly knows nothing about football and named dropped the only team she could think of. And also you’ve not been flicking through the channels , you’ve been sat watching at least 15 mins of the programme

Absolute nonsense story. Folk getting offended by this need a slap. She clearly knows nothing about football and named dropped the only team she could think of. And also you’ve not been flicking through the channels , you’ve been sat watching at least 15 mins of the programme

Do you ever stop posting shite? We get it, you like to be contrarian and you love the attention. Might be time to grow up though.

And it continues. I used to laugh at this sort of negative publicity that Rangers revieved and would reply with the no one likes us we don't care approach. But not now, on and off the pitch Rangers name is dragged through the dirt. Its evidently clear that there is an agenda against Rangers and Im almost certain that this statment would have been revised before saying it on TV its an absolute disgrace! The SFA and the BBC corrupt to the core

Listening to Radio4 today, they had an Alexei Sayle written comic drama on at 11.30. Part of the story revolved around the woman that lived next door but one, who used to get beaten 'black and blue when Liverpool lost.'

Bullshit

Her wee snidey "the" in front of Rangers shoots your argument down in flames.

Ms Gilchrist is an advocate and as such will be a very educated lady
She knew what she was doing.

From the ET

24th March Rangers blast BBC Scotland after club is mentioned during domestic abuse segment

By Evening Times Online

Rangers FC and BBC Scotland are embroiled in a fresh row after the club were referenced during a discussion about domestic abuse.
A contributor for BBC Scotland's The Nine was speaking during a segment about domestic abuse on Friday night's show.
Scottish Women's Aid chair Nicola Gilchrist was asked to speak about a new law, which will be implemented in Scotland in April, which will make controlling and coercive behaviour a criminal offence.
During a discussion with fellow guest Fiona Drouet, Ms Gilchrist said: "This is what I think is so vital actually, is changing the shape of this.
"Educating people that domestic abuse is not a black eye after the Rangers lose or something. That is not what we are talking about.
"We are talking about what Fiona's talking about here, that the shame and humiliation of living with this, that is going to, I think, shape the conversation in Scotland."

The comments have angered the Ibrox club.
A spokesman told the Scottish Sun: "The first thing to be stressed is that domestic abuse should be condemned at every opportunity.
"Once again, however, the BBC provided a platform from which Rangers could be denigrated.
"Even so, it was astounding to hear Nicola Gilchrist single out Rangers. Perhaps she would like to explain why, while discussing this awful form of abuse, she felt it necessary to reference a club which does more than any other to help ease and eradicate the myriad problems faced by people in our local and wider communities."

The club and many fans have now demanded an apology for the remarks from the BBC, as well as the Scottish Women's Aid chair.
A BBC Scotland spokesperson said: "We did an item on The Nine which was highlighting the important issue of domestic abuse and its tragic consequences."
Scottish Women's Aid have been approached for comment.
This fresh row follows the long-standing feud between Rangers and the BBC over senior journalist Chris McLaughlin’s Ibrox ban, with fans of the club recently protesting outside of the BBC's Pacific Quay offices.

Hey lads, see the ET article above it gives ammunition us to complain to Womens Aid at info@womensaid.scot. Request an apology from Nicola Gilchrist for making unsubstantiated claims regarding Rangers and its supporters. If she fails to do so then complain to the Faculty of Advocates via the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission. She will really want to avoid criticism from her professional body.
The BBC are also culpable for givingthis woman a platform to air her personal prejudices, they should be asked to distance themselves from these remarks and apologise to the club and its support for any offence.
20 minutes is all it would take to get these 2 complaints sent. They are both open goals, just have a shot.;)

Sorry mate you are miles off here and if anyone's naive you should look in the mirror.I have previously stated that there are people out there who do not wish our Club well.You are not going to change that by not paying your TV licence or insulting people at our Club or indeed fellow posters.
If you are in disagreement with somebody the first thing to do is remain calm and listen to what they are saying,however unsavoury that may be.You can then formulate a plan on how to deal with it.Basically you need to be a bit more clever and they will hang themself with their own noose.
By comming over all aggressive you are playing in to their hands.
You really are so out of touch with reality it’s really quite frightening, do you actually know or see what is going on in his country nowadays.
Your answer is sit back and wait for them to hang themselves with their own noose, dearie me. You really are a sad little passive man who thinks playing by the rules still applies, newsflash we’re well past that stage.
I’m quite happy to look in the mirror because at least I see someone who won’t accept the banana republic that’s being forced upon us, your mirror reflects a coward who thinks everything will turn out all right if we sit on our hands and wait for something to change.

Last edited:
You really are so out of touch with reality it’s really quite frightening, do you actually know or see what is going on in his country nowadays.
Your answer is sit back and wait for them to hang themselves with their own noose, dearie me. You really are a sad little passive man who thinks playing by the rules still applies, newsflash we’re well past that stage.
I’m quite happy to look in the mirror because at least I see someone who won’t accept the banana republic that’s being forced upon us, your mirror reflects a coward who thinks everything will turn out all right if we sit on our hands and wait for something to change.
You are not getting it mate,I should have been your easiest sale,a Rangers man who wants the best for my Club.All you have managed to do is totally alienate me .If you continue with this strategy in the wider world you will get absolutely nowhere.Dial things back a bit and have a think how you would react if someone spoke to you the way you have in this thread.Please try and act smart,not everyone is our enemy,engage in a positive manner and get people on side.No one gives a toss if you pay yourTV licence.

Employ a researcher to gather evidence of the bias, double standards and lies. Produce a watertight academic standard report(s) and name and shame the bigots. Simple.
We’ve agreed on this before and I’m sure the recent noises is a sign it’s being done but there’s no immediate impact people seem to expect. Organisations like the BBC don’t just leave themselves open to being sued by an organisation they’re hostile to. They’ll make sure every drip of the drip drip effectis as watertight as possible.

You asked me what I’m doing to fight back against these abusers of power, well, not paying my TV license and complaining to my MP for a start, writing to the club asking why they feel the need to be so silent when the club is being attacked from every direction. Which I see from your" poor me" statement is far more than you’re doing.

Of course your entitled to your opinion but when you come over as a naive, blinkered person who after countless and relentless attacks on us still can’t see what is blatantly in front of you don’t be surprised if people’s frustrations get the better of them and your woe is me act really doesn’t do you any favours.

Mate,doing something against that attack us is always better than moaning on a message board and doing nothing! Well done to you for making an effort.

Bullshit

Her wee snidey "the" in front of Rangers shoots your argument down in flames.

Ms Gilchrist is an advocate and as such will be a very educated lady
She knew what she was doing.
She did know exactly what she was doing but we have been The Rangers for a very long time, she doesn’t know that and was trying to be a smart arse

Nicola Gilchrist is now officially the victim:

From the Herald...

Lawyer plagued with hate mail after Rangers 'domestic abuse' TV comment

A SENIOR lawyer has been plagued with hate mail and threats of violence after referring to Rangers during a discussion about domestic abuse.

Nicola Gilchrist, who is also the chair of Scottish Women's Aid, appeared on BBC's The Nine last week to discuss the new coercive control law which is due to come in to force in Scotland tomorrow.

Appearing alongside Fiona Drouet, the mother of student Emily Drouet who took her own life following domestic abuse, Ms Gilchrist explained the new legislation would help to change perceptions and understanding of the crime.

However, she then said domestic abuse was not about "a black eye after the Rangers lose nor something" prompting outrage from fans, and even the club itself called for an explanation.

The BBC were also criticised, with some fans suggesting the advocate was told to mention the club by BBC bosses deliberately – an accusation she strongly denies.

Police have now stepped in to help Ms Gilchrist after her phone number and work details were circulated on social media, and she began receiving thousands of menacing messages.

Officers are investigating the threats, and are understood to have spoken to BBC bosses as well as Ms Gilchrist as part of their inquiries.

Speaking to the Herald on Sunday, the advocate said the repercussions of ill-judged phrasing has been "utterly horrendous".

She said: "It has been relentless – constant emails, tweets, hundreds of messages.

"I have had over 5,000 messages. I've had people calling me, texting me. When they phone they don't say anything but the text messages are things like 'You're a f***ing disgrace'.

"Someone emailed my assistant saying 'sack her', I got a message saying I was 'too ugly to rape'. It has been utterly relentless, some of the stuff is too disgusting for words."

Ms Gilchrist said she was unable to leave her home for nearly a week following her appearance on the show last Friday, March 22. The following day she contacted the police as she was so concerned with the level of threats and abuse she was receiving.

She added: "There were disgusting, horrible things said about me. These people seem to be obsessed with the fact that I must be Catholic, or a Celtic fan – neither of which I am.

"Someone found a tweet about the Lisbon Treaty I had retweeted from ages ago, and commented on that.

"One of my friends had to explain to me why it was being commented on – because they thought it was related to the Lisbon Lions. That is not the Lisbon Treaty."

The reason for referring to Rangers, Ms Gilchrist said, was not intentional and it was not the first time she had used a specific football team name when speaking about the subject.

She explained: "I meant football games in general. The reason I said that team was because it was my grandpa's team and it was a team I was thinking of because they play in the locality of where I was – the BBC studio. I had driven past Ibrox on my way there.

"I have given talks before about domestic abuse in Edinburgh and I've said 'it's not because Hibs lose', or in Inverness: 'it's not because Caley lose'. It's more to do with a sense of place rather than anything else.

"I was parachuted in to that at the last minute, so for people to say I did this deliberately, and 'You know all about the beef with the BBC and Rangers' – I really didn't.

"I was in make-up until 8.55pm and I was on the sofa at eight minutes past nine. There was no talking to anybody."

Amnesty International Scotland has spoken out following the advocate's online trolling experience, and called for police to take a "robust" approach to the threats.

The organisation launched a Toxic Twitter campaign and last year released a report detailing the amount of abuse women suffered on the platform – one abusive or problematic tweet roughly every 30 seconds.

Naomi McAuliffe, Amnesty International’s Scotland Programme Director, said: “Making vile threats on social media is simply unacceptable and we hope to see a robust response from Police Scotland in tackling an increasingly toxic online environment where women experience violence daily. They face a barrage of abuse including racist and sexist attacks to rape and death threats.

“For the past 18 months we’ve been specifically calling on Twitter to take swift and meaningful action by enforcing its own rules on hateful conduct and abuse and making sure it's a safe space for women."

A spokesman for Police Scotland said: "Police Scotland is responding to a report of threats made to an individual within Edinburgh. The matter was reported to police on March 23 and inquiries are ongoing."

The long-running feud between the Ibrox side and the national broadcaster relates to several incidences of what Rangers perceive to be a lack of impartiality in reporting matters involving the club.

In July 2011, the broadcaster was banned over its reporting of then-manager Ally McCoist's views on football violence and sectarianism, for which it apologised.

Three months later, Rangers said it was "withdrawing all co-operation" with the BBC over a documentary about the club's future under Craig Whyte, and over several incidences of unfair or imbalanced reporting.

In 2012, the BBC angered the club again after airing a spoof of the TV drama Mad Men which showed McCoist falling from a building.

Journalists Chris McLaughlin and Chick Young were told to stay away from Ibrox in 2014 after the broadcaster published information about a leaked document which hinted at a plot to sack McCoist.

McLaughlin was banned again in mid-2015 and in January 2016.

I dunno about anyone else but whenever we’ve lost, my mrs has been given a seeing to! She doesnt call it abuse though!!

But seriously, that is such an in appropriate thing to say and an inappropriate comparison. The debate on about doesnt need tongue in cheek comments! Silly fat bitch

From the Herald...

A SENIOR lawyer has been plagued with hate mail and threats of violence after referring to Rangers during a discussion about domestic abuse.

Nicola Gilchrist, who is also the chair of Scottish Women's Aid, appeared on BBC's The Nine last week to discuss the new coercive control law which is due to come in to force in Scotland tomorrow.

Appearing alongside Fiona Drouet, the mother of student Emily Drouet who took her own life following domestic abuse, Ms Gilchrist explained the new legislation would help to change perceptions and understanding of the crime.

However, she then said domestic abuse was not about "a black eye after the Rangers lose nor something" prompting outrage from fans, and even the club itself called for an explanation.

The BBC were also criticised, with some fans suggesting the advocate was told to mention the club by BBC bosses deliberately – an accusation she strongly denies.

Police have now stepped in to help Ms Gilchrist after her phone number and work details were circulated on social media, and she began receiving thousands of menacing messages.

Officers are investigating the threats, and are understood to have spoken to BBC bosses as well as Ms Gilchrist as part of their inquiries.

Speaking to the Herald on Sunday, the advocate said the repercussions of ill-judged phrasing has been "utterly horrendous".

She said: "It has been relentless – constant emails, tweets, hundreds of messages.

"I have had over 5,000 messages. I've had people calling me, texting me. When they phone they don't say anything but the text messages are things like 'You're a f***ing disgrace'.

"Someone emailed my assistant saying 'sack her', I got a message saying I was 'too ugly to rape'. It has been utterly relentless, some of the stuff is too disgusting for words."

Ms Gilchrist said she was unable to leave her home for nearly a week following her appearance on the show last Friday, March 22. The following day she contacted the police as she was so concerned with the level of threats and abuse she was receiving.

She added: "There were disgusting, horrible things said about me. These people seem to be obsessed with the fact that I must be Catholic, or a Celtic fan – neither of which I am.

"Someone found a tweet about the Lisbon Treaty I had retweeted from ages ago, and commented on that.

"One of my friends had to explain to me why it was being commented on – because they thought it was related to the Lisbon Lions. That is not the Lisbon Treaty."

The reason for referring to Rangers, Ms Gilchrist said, was not intentional and it was not the first time she had used a specific football team name when speaking about the subject.

She explained: "I meant football games in general. The reason I said that team was because it was my grandpa's team and it was a team I was thinking of because they play in the locality of where I was – the BBC studio. I had driven past Ibrox on my way there.

"I have given talks before about domestic abuse in Edinburgh and I've said 'it's not because Hibs lose', or in Inverness: 'it's not because Caley lose'. It's more to do with a sense of place rather than anything else.

"I was parachuted in to that at the last minute, so for people to say I did this deliberately, and 'You know all about the beef with the BBC and Rangers' – I really didn't.

"I was in make-up until 8.55pm and I was on the sofa at eight minutes past nine. There was no talking to anybody."

Amnesty International Scotland has spoken out following the advocate's online trolling experience, and called for police to take a "robust" approach to the threats.

The organisation launched a Toxic Twitter campaign and last year released a report detailing the amount of abuse women suffered on the platform – one abusive or problematic tweet roughly every 30 seconds.

Naomi McAuliffe, Amnesty International’s Scotland Programme Director, said: “Making vile threats on social media is simply unacceptable and we hope to see a robust response from Police Scotland in tackling an increasingly toxic online environment where women experience violence daily. They face a barrage of abuse including racist and sexist attacks to rape and death threats.

“For the past 18 months we’ve been specifically calling on Twitter to take swift and meaningful action by enforcing its own rules on hateful conduct and abuse and making sure it's a safe space for women."

A spokesman for Police Scotland said: "Police Scotland is responding to a report of threats made to an individual within Edinburgh. The matter was reported to police on March 23 and inquiries are ongoing."

The long-running feud between the Ibrox side and the national broadcaster relates to several incidences of what Rangers perceive to be a lack of impartiality in reporting matters involving the club.

In July 2011, the broadcaster was banned over its reporting of then-manager Ally McCoist's views on football violence and sectarianism, for which it apologised.

Three months later, Rangers said it was "withdrawing all co-operation" with the BBC over a documentary about the club's future under Craig Whyte, and over several incidences of unfair or imbalanced reporting.

In 2012, the BBC angered the club again after airing a spoof of the TV drama Mad Men which showed McCoist falling from a building.

Journalists Chris McLaughlin and Chick Young were told to stay away from Ibrox in 2014 after the broadcaster published information about a leaked document which hinted at a plot to sack McCoist.

Bring out the evidence then Gilchrist or BBC. Prove it or it didn't happen.

Big bad Rangers fans eh?! %^*& off

And there it is.

The pattern repeats itself, its premeditated and its relentless.

No examples of the "vile threats"?

Worst examples they can give are "you're a fucking disgrace" and the "too ugly to rape".

Not pleasant particularly the latter but no threats.

Nobody should be abusing anyone online let’s make that clear .

But 5,000 emails and unable to leave the house for a week ?

Staggering . Fans couldn’t muster more than 50 people for a protest at the Bbc building .

Shows how many internet trolls are out there perhaps :rolleyes:

From the Herald...

what a crock of shit from her.

She is in charge of womens aid dealing with domestic abuse in Scotland but, is trying to claim that she didn't mean any offense with her comments..sure she didn't!
What she said isn't even true either as, there is nothing on the site she represents that mentions, " domestic abuse could be a black eye when The Rangers lose a match" !

https://womensaid.scot/information-support/what-is-domestic-abuse/

she meant every single word of what she said as she should have been talking about the real reasons for domestic abuse and not some bigoted hate-filled comments from her. Id suggest to her she reads her own charity site as they state abuse can also be abusive comments, just like the one she made about us!

Last edited:
Maybe if she had engaged her brain to begin with and hadn't made derogatory comments about a group of people (who the BBC just happen to hate :rolleyes:) when she has exactly zero evidence of that group being any worse than any other group when it comes to the discussion at hand, she might not have received all these made up threats.

From the Herald...

As night follows day.:rolleyes:

Maybe should have engaged the grey matter before your mouth nicola.As for being threatened let’s see these threats and comments.Funny the bbc are involved yet again.You’d think they had an agenda or something.

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. The way she says it strikes me as someone who doesn't have a clue about football and went for the first team she could think of.
Shouldn’t be too difficult to profusely and unreservedly apologise for her remarks then.

Back