BBC Scotland's Only An Excuse

Beer Belly Loyal

For many years now I've found this show to have burnt itself out. There was a time back in the day when you really looked forward to the programme, if for any reason you wouldn't be available to watch it at the time of showing, then recording it for later was a must, I would record it anyway so as to watch it again next day as it was so funny.
Most of the humour was a dig at how bad the game was in Scotland, the National team came in for particular attention, even current tv sport presenters couldn't escape ridicule, there was a time when genuine classic Scottish humour was beamed onto our screens, the characters were very well played by the actors, it has all been lost over the past decade.

Nothing last forever I suppose. Here's an enjoyable 10 minute example of how good it really was. (IMO)

Been pish for years, but when it goes ahead like it always does, they should have plenty of material from this year without resorting to "wheres the burds?"

It burnt out because the whole premise of the name and the original format was lost years ago. The original documentary "Only a Game?" mimicked the narration by William McIlvaney and interviews with people involved in the game. Most folk don't even know the background of it.

The original OAE? and Only a World Cup Excuse? told stories satirising the Scottish game in the mid-late 80s. It was interspersed with sketches but that wasn't the whole point of it.

When it moved to TV it was a hit because there was nothing like it and there was a mountain of material to use. We were blessed with personalities, from the days before nothing but non-controversial, non-committal, scripted and cliched guff spouted in repetitive presser & interview. It lended itself better to the sketches on TV rather than the documentary style satirised stories of all kinds of calamities.

As said, hardly anyone knows who McAvennie or Denis Law are - utterly irrelevant these days.

The whole thing is past its sell by date and it needs put to bed, or at very least new writers and a whole different approach. Problem is it's cheaply done and catering to drongos who won't remember any of it on new years day but find it hilarious because they're pished.

I think the show struggles because of the wider problem of "offendness" and the curtailing of free speech. It must be nearly impossible to write humour in such an emotive game, without fear of upsetting large sections of the population. Imagine a celtic joke now that poked fun at their endless internal investigations, or took a shot at their plastic paddy imagine. The producers would drown in a deluge of complaints. Comedy is all but dead

I could handle "Where's the burdz" and Denis Law's "Well you know..." gags if they were surrounded by better material however it is absolutely dire.

Should have been put to bed long ago, I wouldn't recognise the majority of players in the SPFL these days without trying to guess who Watson is trying to mimic although I hear he mentions who it is to save viewers trying to work it out.

The FF thread on it is usually enjoyable :))

It burnt out because the whole premise of the name and the original format was lost years ago. The original documentary "Only a Game?" mimicked the narration by William McIlvaney and interviews with people involved in the game. Most folk don't even know the background of it.

The original OAE? and Only a World Cup Excuse? told stories satirising the Scottish game in the mid-late 80s. It was interspersed with sketches but that wasn't the whole point of it.

When it moved to TV it was a hit because there was nothing like it and there was a mountain of material to use. We were blessed with personalities, from the days before nothing but non-controversial, non-committal, scripted and cliched guff spouted in repetitive presser & interview. It lended itself better to the sketches on TV rather than the documentary style satirised stories of all kinds of calamities.

As said, hardly anyone knows who McAvennie or Denis Law are - utterly irrelevant these days.

The whole thing is past its sell by date and it needs put to bed, or at very least new writers and a whole different approach. Problem is it's cheaply done and catering to drongos who won't remember any of it on new years day but find it hilarious because they're pished.
Archie: What do you know about the Aztecs Charlie? (Nicholas)
Charlie: Was that no a chocolate bar Archie?! :)) :))

I stopped recording it a few years ago. The patter is pish and they had to work very hard to get the person’s name into a clip early because most are unrecognisable.

Shame, my old grandpa gave me a VHS of it when I was younger that was pure gold. Or maybe I was just more easily impressed and it hasn’t aged well.

When the subject matter is in serial decline then so is the program. Just another victim of how dreadful our game is and managed.
The quality of football in Scotland is seriously in decline, but the incredible lack of professionalism in the administration should be a goldmine of opportunities for a satirical tv show.
It should be the easiest thing ever for a “comedy” writer to come up with 30 minutes worth of material from a years worth of Scottish football.
There could be great sketches regarding Doncaster, Budge, Dundee’s vote, SPFL email servers, Bolingoli etc. just from the last few months but they will end up wheeling out the same old and unfunny crap as they have done the previous ten years.

The high water mark for me was around 94/95 when they did a stage show. Roper and Watson just stood at a lectern and went for it. They recorded a video and they had a lot of football folk in the crowd. It was hilarious. After Roper left it went downhill very quickly

First stage show was in 1990 at the Clyde theatre. My dad took my brother and I along, must have been early June just before the World Cup started.

Even then it didn't translate as well. Roper might have been a jungle jim, but he and Differ were the wit and humour behind the whole thing.

Died on it's arse after 2-3 years on TV. The first ever TV show is probably the funniest 40 minutes produced by a Scottish team there's been.

But the two audio tapes compiled were the finest pieces.

The quality of football in Scotland is seriously in decline, but the incredible lack of professionalism in the administration should be a goldmine of opportunities for a satirical tv show.
It should be the easiest thing ever for a “comedy” writer to come up with 30 minutes worth of material from a years worth of Scottish football.
There could be great sketches regarding Doncaster, Budge, Dundee’s vote, SPFL email servers, Bolingoli etc. just from the last few months but they will end up wheeling out the same old and unfunny crap as they have done the previous ten years.
Agree the past year has been stuff you really couldn’t make up!

For many years now I've found this show to have burnt itself out. There was a time back in the day when you really looked forward to the programme, if for any reason you wouldn't be available to watch it at the time of showing, then recording it for later was a must, I would record it anyway so as to watch it again next day as it was so funny.
Most of the humour was a dig at how bad the game was in Scotland, the National team came in for particular attention, even current tv sport presenters couldn't escape ridicule, there was a time when genuine classic Scottish humour was beamed onto our screens, the characters were very well played by the actors, it has all been lost over the past decade.

Nothing last forever I suppose. Here's an enjoyable 10 minute example of how good it really was. (IMO)

Nachos!!! :))

I think they have tried to freshen it up a bit by trying to poke fun at other things outside of football.

I think football fans in general have lost our sense of humour, nobody more so than myself.

I think a lot of football fans don't require much of a push to jump on the offended bus so it must be a hellish task coming up with material that will pass the test as being suitable for airing on TV.

I would rather have Watson doing only an excuse than listening to Cosgrove and Cowan on off the ball. Cosgrove in particular is a bitter bellend.

Agreed there's really no excuse (no pun intended) why a good 30 minutes of Comedy can't be created from everything that happens in Scottish football over the course of a year.

I think the problem is laziness more than anything - they know its cheap and easy to make and as long as people keep watching they don't care about it being good

Culture of being offended doesn't help but OAE was on the way down long before that became a problem

I used to fall into the camp of “ it used to be good , now it’s terrible “ but watching that clip reminds me it didn’t even used to be good . Consign it to the dustbin . Should’ve done years ago .

One of the early ones.

Archie McPherson to Davie Hay.

Archie: Davie, who’s the best Scottish players you’ve ever seen?

DH: Whit?, wi’ ma eyes ?

AM: Yes.

DH: Errmm, Kenny Dalglish...eehmm Dennis Law.... Franz beckenbaur....eeehhmm..

AM:.. Beckenbaur is German.

DH: ..Whit? Is he?... Always wondered why Scotland didnae pick him!!!

The radio and stage shows were great back in the day but the fact Roper left the writing solely to Differ was one of the reasons it fell on its arse, in then became another tedious bbc sketch show, all pc and fluffy.

Another reason is the source material, there’s no characters in Scottish football and the bheasts ability to be offended at everything and take the banter out of rivalry has killed any chance that it had.

Archie Macpherson commenting with Davie Provan on another Scotland defeat:

AM: Davie, I put it to you that some players simply don’t TRY for Scotland.

DP: Any players in particular Archie?

AM: Oh off the top of my head McStay, Boyd, Collins...

I had a video tape of the very first one from Italia 90,it was the best 40 minutes of football. Comedy ever,passed round my mates so much it started wearing thin,sadly lost,but as you say it just isn't the same anymore havnt watched it for 2/3 years,Scottish football killed itself,we know why ,and now no one laughs,like we used to,the fun has gone!

last year's version wasn't even about football, it had just turned into an attempt at something like Naked Video or Chewin' The Fat but less funny than those two

Romanov was in Scottish football for years and they never attempted to do a send up of him, most people who watch football up here knew who he was but they'd rather go for the old tired Rangers joke or the really old and tired "Scottish football stars from the past who don't care about Scottish football"

It has ran its course and has become cringeworthy , last years show should be the final nail in its coffin.

I think it was funniest when Jonny Watson and Tony Roper were doing it because both are old firm fans,the banter and the piss take was hilarious, especially the live shows and it lost some spark when Tony Roper left it. I don't think it's been as good.

I think the show struggles because of the wider problem of "offendness" and the curtailing of free speech. It must be nearly impossible to write humour in such an emotive game, without fear of upsetting large sections of the population. Imagine a celtic joke now that poked fun at their endless internal investigations, or took a shot at their plastic paddy imagine. The producers would drown in a deluge of complaints. Comedy is all but dead
Not to just blame them, but you're right. There's too much outrage in Scottish football at any piss taking. I think there's plenty of golden material that could be used, but its probably not worth the hassle they'd get for using it...especially from the unwashed.

One of the early ones.

Davy Hay knew all right

When this poor programme stops using the burnt out old perverted bigot macavennie and comes up with new material I might watch it. Started off no bad, got worse and became absolute shite is my summary.

Never knew Watson was a big rangers fan, hard to tell. It's still ran it's course though, years ago

I said this on another thread about Scotch & Wry. Just as appropriate here about Only An Excuse.

I would take repeats of Scotch and Wry on Hogmanay instead of the 'new' yearly, 'Only An Excuse' everytime. Just how tired, trite, crass and cringeworthy does a so called comedy/football impersonation programme need to be before it's finally put out of its misery. And while their at it, same goes for BBC Radio Scotland's 'Off The Ball'.

Don't mind watching the repeats up till about the early 00s.

I still watch it every New Year and complain how shite it is!

One of the early ones.

Another classic from the radio show. Davy Hay walks into the Directors's office. Director to Hay - Take a seat, Davie. No, not on the floor Davie, on the chair.

Thanks for that. When it got a laugh, sadly no more.

Once the real world becomes more ludicrous than a programme taking the piss out of the real world, then the programme becomes surplus to requirements.

I think when tv was limited to five channels and the football coverage was pretty much covered by bbc1 and stv we were all familiar with football’s presenters and characters and their wee idiosyncrasies. Much harder for the writers with the way things are now I’d imagine. Also good natured banter seems far rarer now than vicious exchange and as another poster mentioned huge offence is more likely to be taken.

Started life as a radio show and was very funny. I taped the last radio show (on cassette) and loaned out so much I lost it... Remember a joke on it asking Jock Wallace why he went to Seville.... He said that it was famous for oranges... and where there's oranges there's Orangemen...

Back