BBC to deliver its 13th finding of the year on rangers related complaints

uneasydaz

THE BBC’s Executive Complaints Unit will next month deliver its 13th finding of the year on Rangers-related grievances.

It comes after Gers fan group Club 1872’s complaint about Beeb pundit Tom English was upheld by the committee that rules on contentious issues.

And SunSport can reveal the other concerns – raised about the organisation’s Light Blues coverage – rejected at the second stage of the process in 2019.

Four complaints about Sportscene have been thrown out, with three from Sportsound knocked back too.

The Executive Complaints Unit (ECU) also decided not to uphold grievances linked to Reporting Scotland (two), the BBC Scotland channel’s flagship show The Nine (two) and Shereen Nanjiani’s weekly Radio Scotland show (one).

In March, Rangers hit out after Scottish Women’s Aid chair Nicola Gilchrist referenced the club during a discussion about domestic abuse on The Nine.

A complaint about Ms Gilchrist’s comment was not upheld.

On Friday it emerged English – the Beeb’s chief sports writer north of the border – had breached editorial guidelines with remarks on social media about the Rugby Park mayhem in August.

Controversy erupted following his reply to Club 1872‘s blast at Kilmarnock over fan safety issues outside the stadium.

The fan group revealed it had eyewitness reports of crushing as supporters tried to enter the Chadwick Stand.

Referencing their statement in a tweet, English wrote: “‘Trapped outside Rugby Park’…trapped outside?? This is execrable stuff.”

But the post broke Beeb rules and the broadcaster said: “The ECU upheld one part of a larger complaint from Club 1872, concerning the language used in a tweet

BBC Scotland had already upheld that aspect of the complaint in its response to complainants and we note the ECU decision.”

Gers shareholders Club 1872 issued a short message to fans after learning of the decision.

They wrote: “Club 1872 has received confirmation that a complaint regarding @TEnglishSport comments on our statement about the crushing at the Kilmarnock game has been upheld by the BBC Executive Complaints Unit.

“We’ve been told further information on any action taken by the BBC will be communicated to us shortly.

“We have not received any public or private apology from @TEnglishSport despite the BBC acknowledging his comments ‘went beyond a reasonable expression of professional judgement’.

“We will shortly be updating our members on this and other ongoing correspondence and complaints regarding BBC Scotland and their coverage of Rangers and Rangers supporters.”

The BBC Complaints Framework outlines the stages of the process – and when regulator Ofcom gets involved.

It says: “We will do everything we reasonably can to respond to editorial complaints within the BBC and expect the large majority of them to be resolved satisfactorily at stages 1a [initial response] or 1b [response from BBC manager or editorial team member].

“However, if, having gone through stages 1a and 1b, you are dissatisfied with the BBC’s final response at Stage 2, we will tell you how to contact Ofcom, which can investigate editorial complaints in the areas covered by the Ofcom Broadcasting Code.

“If Ofcom finds that the BBC has failed to comply with the Code in its UK public broadcasting and on demand programme services, they may direct the BBC to take steps to remedy the failure or prevent a recurrence.

“It is also open to Ofcom to impose a financial sanction on the BBC for serious or repeated breaches of the Code, up to and including a fine of £250,000.

“First-party complaints of unfair treatment and unwarranted infringement of privacy can be put to Ofcom in the first instance, but otherwise Ofcom will not normally consider complaints unless they have been considered by the BBC first.”

ECU documents reveal no other grievances about Scottish football-related issues have reached stage two of the process this year.

The BBC and Rangers remain embroiled in a long-term dispute relating to senior journalist Chris McLaughlin’s Ibrox ban.

In March, some of the club’s fans gathered at the Beeb’s Pacific Quay HQ in Glasgow to protest against their coverage of the Scottish Premiership side.

Four months later, BBC Scotland admitted to a gaffe in a radio segment about ex-Celtic striker Mo Johnston’s controversial Gers move.

Last week Rangers slammed the broadcaster for “sensationalist, unfair and disgraceful” accusations of a cover-up relating to paedo ex-coach Gordon Neely.

When does it get to the point that the sheer weight of numbers of complaints has OFCOM get involved ?

Asking the scum in the BBC to adjudicate one of our complaints is like asking Myra Hindley to recommend a good child minder.

I would love to see the club sue that lot for sectarianism.
I'd love to see our club take a look at the calendar and accept it's not the sixties anymore and stop playing by the Marquis of Queensberry rules.
Our reputation risk management is laughable and effectively invites intentionally damaging propaganda.
Wake up, Dave.

Last edited:
I'd love to see our club take a look at the calendar and accept it's not the sixties anymore and start stop playing by the Marquis of Queensberry rules.
Our reputation risk management is laughable and effectively invites intentionally damaging propaganda.
Wake up, Dave.
The fact a voluntary organisation like Club 1872 spend so much time and effort while the club who have the resources do very little to combat this rancid mob constant attacks is disgraceful.
It’s interesting to note that the club wants to expand it’s brand in North America but yet allows it to be rubbished at home.

When does it get to the point that the sheer weight of numbers of complaints has OFCOM get involved ?

Asking the scum in the BBC to adjudicate one of our complaints is like asking Myra Hindley to recommend a good child minder.

I totally agree with your second paragraph, in particular a few years back with a complaint I had with the Scum Pacific Quay which went back and forth, and the reply (although you can’t go by names) the respondent lets say had names similar to those of residents Eire!

The fact a voluntary organisation like Club 1872 spend so much time and effort while the club who have the resources do very little to combat this rancid mob constant attacks is disgraceful.
It’s interesting to note that the club wants to expand it’s brand in North America but yet allows it to be rubbished at home.

I hope the fellow who's out there trying to push the brand will tell Dave King that unless the club gets to grip with things he's wasting his time.
"Want to be associated with the most successful football club in the world?"
"Is that the club which hates catholics, deprived the poor of hospitals and employed pederasts?"
Honestly what is it that King can't see?

Given the number of complaints raised against BBC Scotland Club 1872 should be asking the club to increase sanctions against BBC across the UK

They have no intentions of changing their campaign of hate against us so the club should take the view that the chances of getting a level playing field from BBC Scotland is just not going to happen

I would also ban a few from the SMSM too

Gordon Parks “article” on Alfie at weekend should see Parks banned

Maybe then the cuunts would take notice what they are saying

Robertson called them out in February and said people within the club had several meetings with senior people within the BBC.

How do you know these discussions are not ongoing?

What would you suggest the club do?

Robertson called them out in February and said people within the club had several meetings with senior people within the BBC.

Because some people need to see everything in the public domain.

I have no doubt the club are not sitting on their hands regarding this and many other issues.

I don’t, same as you but since February there has be no let up from this organisation, in fact it’s probably gotten worse, now if discussions were ongoing, as you put it surely continuing to antagonise the situation would suggest any would be discussions were failing or most likely nonexistent.

Because some people need to see everything in the public domain.

I have no doubt the club are not sitting on their hands regarding this and many other issues.

Let's agree that the club is 'calling them out' and involved in discussion for an end product?
I then suggest the club look at the returns from this strategy. Has it stopped the relentless propaganda and muck-flinging? Has it had any positive effect? Anything at all discernible?
Is there anything to suggest it's effective? If so, please tell us.

For the sake of discussion let's say the old strategy isn't working. The club then needs to accept the realities, stop doing things that aren't working and do something other than inviting the bastards round for tea and biscuits then perhaps a small sherry.
The club needs a CEO to robustly champion its interests on and off the pitch. The club needs a day-to-day leader, not a genial accountant who has tried and ultimately been found wanting in this area.

Last edited:
I don’t, same as you but since February there has be no let up from this organisation, in fact it’s probably gotten worse, now if discussions were ongoing, as you put it surely continuing to antagonise the situation would suggest any would be discussions were failing or most likely nonexistent.

Let's agree that the club is 'calling them out' and involved in discussion for an end product?
I then suggest the club look at the returns from this strategy. Has it stopped the relentless propaganda and muck-flinging? Has it had any positive effect? Anything at all discernible?

For the sake of discussion let's say the old strategy isn't working. The club then needs to accept the realities, stop doing things that aren't working and do something other than inviting the bastards round for tea and biscuits then perhaps a small sherry.
The club needs a CEO to robustly champion its interests on and off the pitch. The club needs a day-to-day leader, not a genial accountant who has ultimately tried and been found wanting in this area.

I think we all agree the BBC in Scotland have an agenda. I am not questioning that.

We do not know what discussions the club has had or what action the club is taking.

I agree, it appears, we need someone stronger to handle the constant negative publicity.

My question is what action can be taken against the BBC or any other media outlet or politicians come to think of it?

It's October. What's changed?

The BBC and their lackeys have decided on a stance which serves to denigrate our Club and our supporters at every opportunity.

Club 1872 and every other right thinking bluenose are doing exactly the right thing by challenging this corrupt and biased organisation and taking them to task where necessary.
The legal entity at Ibrox must hammer them both individually and collectively whenever they wrongfully denigrate our Club.
Starting with legal proceedings against Scottish Women's aid and Nicola Gilchrist.

I think the spin being put on this is designed to damage us - ie that only one of the 13 has been upheld and that in essence we're bitching about nothing. Remember, this is the fucking Sun....
It's the BBC finding in favour of the BBC, of course they dismiss most complaints

Funnily enough, the media kick up hell when the police do things like this

I think we all agree the BBC in Scotland have an agenda. I am not questioning that.

We do not know what discussions the club has had or what action the club is taking.

I agree, it appears, we need someone stronger to handle the constant negative publicity.

My question is what action can be taken against the BBC or any other media outlet or politicians come to think of it?

I don't know, I'm not the kind of man, or woman, we need for CEO.
What I do know, for certain, is
a) we are taking a kicking from enemies who are secure in the knowledge that we will be acquiescent and refuse to stand up for ourselves, the worst that can happen to them is a half-arsed 'correction'
b) our reputation must suffer because of it, these days perception is everything, money men run a mile from any hint of negativity
c) eventually Gerrard will move on which will leave a huge vacuum and with our tacit acceptance that we're a really bad lot we won't attract the calibre of managerial candidates we need

Last edited:
The BBC and their lackeys have decided on a stance which serves to denigrate our Club and our supporters at every opportunity.

Club 1872 and every other right thinking bluenose are doing exactly the right thing by challenging this corrupt and biased organisation and taking them to task where necessary.
The legal entity at Ibrox must hammer them both individually and collectively whenever they wrongfully denigrate our Club.
Starting with legal proceedings against Scottish Women's aid and Nicola Gilchrist.

I complained to the BBC and Scottish woman's aid themselves about GIlchrist.

The BBC fobbed me off with the "her comments are not particularly the views of the BBC" line

Scottish woman's aid ignored me at first and after I pushed them, they eventually sent me a reply which said she wasn't having a pop at Rangers fans but simply using football supporters as an example.

As much as I don't believe either of them, it is hard to prove otherwise.

Now imagine Rangers taking legal proceedings against Scottish Women's Aid - we would get slaughtered for doing that and accused of endangering women. Is that really a good idea, mate?

Really does my head in when this is constantly misrepresented. He's never ever been banned as we know, his press privileges were simply revoked.
Removing a journalist's press privileges is effectively 'banning' him as a journalist, so it doesn't matter much either way.

But I wish we had formally banned him and all of his BBC Scotland colleagues collectively.

I complained to the BBC and Scottish woman's aid themselves about GIlchrist.

The BBC fobbed me off with the "her comments are not particularly the views of the BBC" line

Scottish woman's aid ignored me at first and after I pushed them, they eventually sent me a reply which said she wasn't having a pop at Rangers fans but simply using football supporters as an example.

As much as I don't believe either of them, it is hard to prove otherwise.

Now imagine Rangers taking legal proceedings against Scottish Women's Aid - we would get slaughtered for doing that and accused of endangering women. Is that really a good idea, mate?

That bottom paragraph is indicative of where we are as a club mate. These people are having a pop at us anyway without any fear of repercussion, its been open season on us for too long. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Let me ask you this, if a celtic supporters club publicly made similar accusations would you be saying the same thing? Time to take these all of these bastards to task...we can deal with the public relations later!

Removing a journalist's press privileges is effectively 'banning' him as a journalist, so it doesn't matter much either way.

But I wish we had formally banned him and all of his BBC Scotland colleagues collectively.
it does matter though mate, he can get in just fine as a paying customer.

I agree and wish we could ban the lot of them.

THE BBC’s Executive Complaints Unit will next month deliver its 13th finding of the year on Rangers-related grievances.

It comes after Gers fan group Club 1872’s complaint about Beeb pundit Tom English was upheld by the committee that rules on contentious issues.

And SunSport can reveal the other concerns – raised about the organisation’s Light Blues coverage – rejected at the second stage of the process in 2019.

Four complaints about Sportscene have been thrown out, with three from Sportsound knocked back too.

The Executive Complaints Unit (ECU) also decided not to uphold grievances linked to Reporting Scotland (two), the BBC Scotland channel’s flagship show The Nine (two) and Shereen Nanjiani’s weekly Radio Scotland show (one).

In March, Rangers hit out after Scottish Women’s Aid chair Nicola Gilchrist referenced the club during a discussion about domestic abuse on The Nine.

A complaint about Ms Gilchrist’s comment was not upheld.

On Friday it emerged English – the Beeb’s chief sports writer north of the border – had breached editorial guidelines with remarks on social media about the Rugby Park mayhem in August.

Controversy erupted following his reply to Club 1872‘s blast at Kilmarnock over fan safety issues outside the stadium.

The fan group revealed it had eyewitness reports of crushing as supporters tried to enter the Chadwick Stand.

Referencing their statement in a tweet, English wrote: “‘Trapped outside Rugby Park’…trapped outside?? This is execrable stuff.”

But the post broke Beeb rules and the broadcaster said: “The ECU upheld one part of a larger complaint from Club 1872, concerning the language used in a tweet

BBC Scotland had already upheld that aspect of the complaint in its response to complainants and we note the ECU decision.”

Gers shareholders Club 1872 issued a short message to fans after learning of the decision.

They wrote: “Club 1872 has received confirmation that a complaint regarding @TEnglishSport comments on our statement about the crushing at the Kilmarnock game has been upheld by the BBC Executive Complaints Unit.

“We’ve been told further information on any action taken by the BBC will be communicated to us shortly.

“We have not received any public or private apology from @TEnglishSport despite the BBC acknowledging his comments ‘went beyond a reasonable expression of professional judgement’.

“We will shortly be updating our members on this and other ongoing correspondence and complaints regarding BBC Scotland and their coverage of Rangers and Rangers supporters.”

The BBC Complaints Framework outlines the stages of the process – and when regulator Ofcom gets involved.

It says: “We will do everything we reasonably can to respond to editorial complaints within the BBC and expect the large majority of them to be resolved satisfactorily at stages 1a [initial response] or 1b [response from BBC manager or editorial team member].

“However, if, having gone through stages 1a and 1b, you are dissatisfied with the BBC’s final response at Stage 2, we will tell you how to contact Ofcom, which can investigate editorial complaints in the areas covered by the Ofcom Broadcasting Code.

“If Ofcom finds that the BBC has failed to comply with the Code in its UK public broadcasting and on demand programme services, they may direct the BBC to take steps to remedy the failure or prevent a recurrence.

“It is also open to Ofcom to impose a financial sanction on the BBC for serious or repeated breaches of the Code, up to and including a fine of £250,000.

“First-party complaints of unfair treatment and unwarranted infringement of privacy can be put to Ofcom in the first instance, but otherwise Ofcom will not normally consider complaints unless they have been considered by the BBC first.”

ECU documents reveal no other grievances about Scottish football-related issues have reached stage two of the process this year.

The BBC and Rangers remain embroiled in a long-term dispute relating to senior journalist Chris McLaughlin’s Ibrox ban.

In March, some of the club’s fans gathered at the Beeb’s Pacific Quay HQ in Glasgow to protest against their coverage of the Scottish Premiership side.

Four months later, BBC Scotland admitted to a gaffe in a radio segment about ex-Celtic striker Mo Johnston’s controversial Gers move.

Last week Rangers slammed the broadcaster for “sensationalist, unfair and disgraceful” accusations of a cover-up relating to paedo ex-coach Gordon Neely.

McLaughlin isn't banned and never has been he has had his journal license
removed....he can pay into Ibrox ....but chooses not to

That bottom paragraph is indicative of where we are as a club mate. These people are having a pop at us anyway without any fear of repercussion, its been open season on us for too long. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Let me ask you this, if a celtic supporters club publicly made similar accusations would you be saying the same thing? Time to take these all of these bastards to task...we can deal with the public relations later!

No I wouldn't be saying the same thing. A comment like that from a csc would have a different slant on it for obvious reasons.

Scottish Womans Aid are able to plead a certain ignorance on the implications of using our name like that and the general public would sympathise with them as it is just not the done thing to have a go at a womans aid charity.

A good fighters knows how to pick and choose their fights - a scrap with Scottish Woman's Aid - unless it was blatant indefensible slander - would be one to let go.

I hate to say it because I believe the money ended up going to a good cause but the RFFF would have been handy for legal advice for things like this.

I think the RFFF would have been a good idea as a sort of legal kitty for Club 1872. After all - this was a shot at Rangers supporters and C1872 represent us.

Sorry am rabbling here.

The club needs a CEO to robustly champion its interests on and off the pitch. The club needs a day-to-day leader, not a genial accountant who has tried and ultimately been found wanting in this area.

The first thing I'd be doing if I was ever lucky enough to have a huge lottery win and buy the club would be to

A. Employ a top class lawyer full time and serve writs on anyone remotely damaging to the club
B. Hire a top class PR company.

Maybe our board don't see these as important but it would soon stop any nonsense by the bigots who are out to damage our club.

From what we can see nothing has changed, the people we have at the club seem to employ a hit and run strategy, where they make a statement and then silence.
thats certainly how it appears to myself, the case of shifty mcglennan being a case in point,we released a statement calling his appointment and remit into question,(all perfectly valid concerns) all we got was laughed at ,patted on the head and told to go away,and we did

Any coincidence that the one complaint that they have upheld was the only one that didn't involve their own media channels??

Somebody going to get their knuckles rapped so the powers that be can be seen to be doing their job fairly and honestly ... or am I reading to much into that??

BBC Scotland are a fooking disgrace and their London bosses almost as bad for allowing their blatant misrepresentations, lies, bias and bigoted crap to continue over and over.

They covered up Savile too.

Conclusion - a not fit for purpose sham who abuse their charter thus do not deserve the licence fee so don't bloody pay it.

The Man the Bheasts Can't Tame has today alleged and named Paul Bradley of the BBC as the guy behind the Rangers Tax Case blog.

Maybe me being extra sensitive, but has that article been written in a way to make it out Rangers fans keep complaining about the BBC and wasting folks time as most are rejected?

I'm a huge supporter of public broadcasting. Trouble is, editorially (& tacityly supported by senior Scottish management beholden to the SNP) BBC Scotland has an institutional anti-RFC agenda. Sueing them will have no impact; they are insidious & artful in their biased repprting. Only when the SNP's hegemonly ends will BBC Scotland change. Our Board has more pressing objectives that it can influence.

Back