Beale: “When we left we were four points ahead. There’s no way we’d have let them come past us. “

I hope it works out, but Ally and John Greg loved the club and “got it” - didn’t make them legends as managers though
Beale though is a coach, McCoist and Greig were players who tried coaching. Big difference I reckon. I hope that if it is Beale we accept, that he will prove the coach part right.

I understand people wanting to rewrite history but we were faltering badly before Gerrard & Beale left - dropping points in the league, conceding the first goal in every game, European performances had dropped a level. I will 100% back the new man but l don't think these comments about "not letting them past us" are very wise.
Without getting too emotionally involved either way I think a few things Beale has done recently have been a bit misguided.

Looking at it now I can see why some people are assuming it’s all been a bit calculated.

Beale is going to have to accept little to no money in January.

I think we need someone with more experience.

Just because he called Septic 'them' doesn't excite me.

Without getting too emotionally involved either way I think a few things Beale has done recently have been a bit misguided.

Looking at it now I can see why some people are assuming it’s all been a bit calculated.
Well, exactly. I find his comments to be disingenuous, slightly patronising even. When you consider this interview was conducted while Giovanni was still in a job, around the same time he was drinking in the Louden and cosying up to directors at Ibrox. It shows a lack of class and respect in many ways.

He said on the pod that we always felt we had their number and full focus that year would have been on the league after going out of the CL as winning it meant guaranteed entry
Well that would have been a major problem on here given 80% of FF were telling us oldies how winning the Europa was more important than the League last season.

Where did I put the boot in?

I said I wish him well.

Plenty of things suggest he might succeed. But “getting it” isn’t really something that correlates to managerial success.
Him “getting it” doesn’t mean anything other than he knows about the club and what it means to the fans. Maybe with the fans onside will help the man settle back in again quickly and hit the ground running?

Where did I put the boot in?

I said I wish him well.

Plenty of things suggest he might succeed. But “getting it” isn’t really something that correlates to managerial success.

dont why youre getting in the neck, youre right

theres hundreds of us that "get it" but that doesnt make us a good manager

An easy thing for Beale to say, but if my memory is right, the mighty Hibs managed to get by us three times easily enough in the first 45 minutes after they’d left. Let’s stop this romanticising Gerrard and his team. Their track record is nothing like half of FF would have us believe, and we were all complaining about the League performances at this time last year. There is no other manager in Rangers history that gets celebrated for winning one trophy in ten like Stevie G and his team do.

I'm not sure how SG, MB et al would have stopped the Sturgeon-Doncater-Lawell winter-break switcheroo. Having to play that game under the lights in front of 60,000 screaming yahoos was a huge break for them. Ditto Greegy's brain farts against Ross County and Motherwell.

An easy thing for Beale to say, but if my memory is right, the mighty Hibs managed to get by us three times easily enough in the first 45 minutes after they’d left. Let’s stop this romanticising Gerrard and his team. Their track record is nothing like half of FF would have us believe, and we were all complaining about the League performances at this time last year. There is no other manager in Rangers history that gets celebrated for winning one trophy in ten like Stevie G and his team do.
“There is no other manager in Rangers history that gets celebrated for winning one trophy in ten like Stevie G and his team do”

Hahahaha

Well, exactly. I find his comments to be disingenuous, slightly patronising even. When you consider this interview was conducted while Giovanni was still in a job, around the same time he was drinking in the Louden and cosying up to directors at Ibrox. It shows a lack of class and respect in many ways.
At least he was open and honest about I know how things work in a professional football club as some others will to and it's a cutthroat business with two faced slyness all around people involved in them ,as I say he made it plain what he wanted not behind people's backs

He actually says “no way they would have come past us” because it’s obvious in the context of the conversation who he is talking about. Nothing to do with him being staunch or “getting it.” He also says the atmosphere is great on both sides of the city, Glasgow has two wonderful clubs and he can say that because he’s an outsider looking in.

Nice soundbite but we'll never know. The decline had already set in when he/they left. I get that the piggery in February was a big turning point and I agree we wouldn't have been battered in the manner we did, but it's absolutely possible we'd still have lost that game and fallen behind them.
I've always insisted it was the weekend games prior to our visit to the piggery in February that did for our league campaign last season. They scored a last minute winner at home to Dundee Utd and we lost a 96th minute equaliser at Ross Co. We'd gone from looking like having something like a 5 point lead, to just a 2 point lead. So instead of going to the piggery with the chance to extend, or at least protect that lead at the top of the table, suddenly they had the incentive to go top if they won. They came into the game with their tails up, started like their lives depended on it and we didn't cope. Had Greegs not thrown a couple into his net at Ross Co., we'd still have come out of the game at the piggery top of the table no matter what. I also think the mindset of both teams going into that game would have been different. Still believe those weekend fixtures were the decisive turning point.

my memory of it is we were only 4 points ahead of a celtic team in rebuild during the start of the league filled with players who were on their way out and youth players filling in gaps. in reality we should have been much further ahead of them than we were

And the league Cup final loss was down to a 3 player offside goal

Technically we did lose it but we battered them so hard that it genuinely didn't even feel like a loss. We got absolutely cheated in that game and noone can deny that, not even them
Unfortunately bro there is no asterisk against the winners name that says that. It just says Winners: Celtic FC! We can put that alongside the 1980 loss which still grates for a flaming throw in over the half way, but they still won that too.

I understand people wanting to rewrite history but we were faltering badly before Gerrard & Beale left - dropping points in the league, conceding the first goal in every game, European performances had dropped a level. I will 100% back the new man but l don't think these comments about "not letting them past us" are very wise.
It’s also a little lacking in class.

He’s basically calling out the man that replaced him and Gerrard as a bit of a diddy for blowing that kind of lead.

That might be a view held by many on here, but I’m not sure a fellow manager should be publicly vocalising a comment like that, let alone someone that looks like he’s about to replace the guy he’s made it about.

I’m not too sure on that one in all honesty. We were absolutely dreadful last season from start to end.

Dropping silly points at home to sheep, m’well and hearts

It's pretty clear that Gerrard was already starting to check out. Rightly or wrongly, he obviously felt let down in the transfer market. And who knows when he was first contacted by AV with it being his pal.

Beale is going to have to accept little to no money in January.

I think we need someone with more experience.

Just because he called Septic 'them' doesn't excite me.

He did mention finance in the clip and im sure ..if he gets to interview stage it will be one of the first questions he asks.

“There is no other manager in Rangers history that gets celebrated for winning one trophy in ten like Stevie G and his team do”

Hahahaha
If it’s so hilarious, tell me who the others are? I’ve only been following Rangers for 55 years and I can’t remember any. We all were grateful for 55, but our own club legend got hunted in the 1980’s because he only had three times as much success as SG! Let that reality spin in your head for a second.

raging people will rage

there is no stopping it

any attempt to question the seethe will be met by more anger

If it’s so hilarious, tell me who the others are? I’ve only been following Rangers for 55 years and I can’t remember any. We all were grateful for 55, but our own club legend got hunted in the 1980’s because he only had three times as much success as SG! Let that reality spin in your head for a second.
You can’t understand why the league Gerrard won was so important and celebrated so much & why he received so much praise for it,is this what your asking?

And we always will drop points.

Perfect seasons don't really exist.
But that was in the first 13 games. Plus a loss to Dundee United. We were very poor and were on course to get less points than we ended up with.

Gerrard and Beale - 2.3 points per game
Gio - 2.36 points per game

I don't think he can say they would have won the league when they were poor at the start of the season and only ahead of Celtic because they had a poor start.

I also think it's crass to say that when they bailed in the middle of the season and someone else came in to pick up the pieces, got a better points per game than them, got to a European final after their poor start and won a cup which they never managed.

This isn't a pro-Gio post. He should have been sacked.

delusional? We hadn't lost to them in 2 years and had some of the most one sided old firms ever in the run. They couldn't get near us

Even under fat lady's front bottom we had mccrorie in goals and balogun at rb, with fucking roofe starting and Gary mac in the dugout and we still beat them.
Edited for u

It was a great listen but I never came away from it madly excited by Beale, so I’m not going to change tune halfway through.
Sometimes it’s the understated ones who surprise, let’s hope he is our McLeish and nails those 2 cups, reverses the OF defeats and we roll onto the Summer

But that was in the first 13 games. Plus a loss to Dundee United. We were very poor and were on course to get less points than we ended up with.

Gerrard and Beale - 2.3 points per game
Gio - 2.36 points per game

I don't think he can say they would have won the league when they were poor at the start of the season and only ahead of Celtic because they had a poor start.

I also think it's crass to say that when they bailed in the middle of the season and someone else came in to pick up the pieces, got a better points per game than them, got to a European final after their poor start and won a cup which they never managed.

This isn't a pro-Gio post. He should have been sacked.
If that points trajectory had continued, we'd have ended the season with 87 points.

What was that lots points per game on that date?

They had taken 26 points from 3 games, so we're on course to finish with 76 points.

All this he "gets it" patter is tragic.
agree ... the only thing they get is the money. All the "Rangers man" stuff is just a ruse to buy them a bit of leeway from a very demanding fan base. The only thing Gerrard really "got" was ... tae fcuk at the first decent opportunity that presented itself.

It’s also a little lacking in class.

He’s basically calling out the man that replaced him and Gerrard as a bit of a diddy for blowing that kind of lead.

That might be a view held by many on here, but I’m not sure a fellow manager should be publicly vocalising a comment like that, let alone someone that looks like he’s about to replace the guy he’s made it about.

Haha, wait. Wit?

If that points trajectory had continued, we'd have ended the season with 87 points.

What was that lots points per game on that date?

They had taken 26 points from 3 games, so we're on course to finish with 76 points.
They had a complete overhaul in the summer and started off poor but obviously got better as they settled.

When he left the team were playing absolutely rank. In fact straight after the title was won we were rotten right up till him and SG left.

Hagi, Tav, Aribo instantly spring to mind as not being able to hit their own arse at the time. Malmo performances were brutal.

It's a bit of a feelgood soundbite from him TBH.
My immediate thought on reading was that it is a soundbite along the lines of that c\\t Green when he promised to ban the yahoos from Ibrox.

Just tell them what they want to hear and they'll lap it up.

Not sure John Greig or Ally were manager material. Beale wanted it and has gained experience in the pursuit of a career in management.
Absolutely correct. It should have been crystal clear to the board that neither were up to the job. Just listening to Michael Beale he seems to be a serious, thoughtful and intelligent individual. Although I would prefer Dyche I think MB, if appointed, isn't as much of a gamble as I'd originally thought.

They had a complete overhaul in the summer and started off poor but obviously got better as they settled.
What's to say we wouldn't have rediscovered form?

This is the trouble with these reductive arguments, it's entirely dependent on people accepting that it's all shite for us and all sugar for them, when the whole thing is hypothetical.

What's to say we wouldn't have rediscovered form?

This is the trouble with these reductive arguments, it's entirely dependent on people accepting that it's all shite for us and all sugar for them, when the whole thing is hypothetical.
The thread is about Beale saying there's no way he would have let them past us last season so it's all hypothetical. I'm just saying nothing from the form of the first 13 games makes me think we would have done any better than we did.

listened to it today and can’t help but be impressed with him. It sounded like he had quite a lot of input when it comes to tactics which backs up that he was actual brains in the coaching team.

I can see us going back to the high energy pressing game again and have a feeling Kent and Morelos will start playing like we know they can again.

Why should he respect Gio? He was no where near good enough and had left us with a shell of a squad.

We had to sit through 2 awful Tim pumpings we can't just casually let that go.

I'll say what I've said a few threads here:

We wouldn't have lost the league under Gerrard and Beale last year.

Yes they went on a great run but partly because Gio allowed them to by not only losing to them but getting absolutely pumped and giving them huge amounts of confidence. That wouldn't have happened under Gerrard.

We wouldn't have got Seville and maybe not a cup but the league would have been ours IMO, never a doubt about that.

I don’t know. We were already dropping stupid points at home under Gerrard. Gio came in and got a bit of a bounce at first. We went on a good run of results up until the January break.

The collapse after the break was something we had also seen under Gerrard. I’m not convinced it wouldn’t have happened again but I do agree that we’d have done better in the games against the bheasts.

I got the feeling the season was about to collapse under Gerrard just before he left. Same way I felt about Gio a few weeks ago.

Back