Beale: “When we left we were four points ahead. There’s no way we’d have let them come past us. “

What the f*ck do you mean it didn't matter, are you reading what you are posting ya absolute rocket.
Think about it you get three points from them and a good day taking the piss but overall we had thrown away three points against Dundee Utd, then threw away six points in home games.

Try and think and stop trying to play the plastic hardman on the internet it's only kids that do that.

Walter never lost a league title to Lennon though, and would never have lost one by a landslide. We tended to do well in OF games under SG, the issue was TLB seemed to be more adept at getting the required wins against the rest of the sides in the league. He even switched up his system at one point which lead to discussion at the time that SG was too rigid and not flexible enough by comparison. Though I’m sure that’s probably been forgotten by now!

I wasn't attempting to compare Walter Smith's tenure to Gerrard's, I also don't think you really can and it's a pretty futile pursuit to do so.

What my point was, is what you can't say about Gerrard's Old Firm record is 'It was only against Neil Lennon' to discredit it when a) It wasn't and b) Our second greatest manager lost Old Firm games to him, more than once.

Think about it you get three points from them and a good day taking the piss but overall we had thrown away three points against Dundee Utd, then threw away six points in home games.

Try and think and stop trying to play the plastic hardman on the internet it's only kids that do that.

I am thinking about it, we won and took 3 points on a weekend when they didn't

If we had done the same in the game when Ramsay scored we would have collected more points than them and the swing would have been seismic.

A game when points are gained or dropped by either said evidently does "matter"

It is nothing to do with sounding hard, it is being taken by how consciously you are making yourself sound thick and seemingly happily owning it

I am thinking about it, we won and took 3 points on a weekend when they didn't

If we had done the same in the game when Ramsay scored we would have collected more points than them and the swing would have been seismic.

A game when points are gained or dropped by either said evidently does "matter"

It is nothing to do with sounding hard, it is being taken by how consciously you are making yourself sound thick and seemingly happily owning it
What can I reply here other than you obviously think winning three points after dropping three points and dropping six at home is an achievement of sorts
As we beat them.
when all it means is we chucked away nine points in a short space of time.
As I said try and reply like an adult and stop the plastic hardman approach and childish abuse.

This “them” patter people think Beale means that. He literally called them a “fantastic football club”. So let’s drop that.

Also if the “focus” was on the league, how did we drop 6 points at home to utter shite? The start to last season was a chance to roar ahead of Paedo FC but we didn’t take it.

If MB comes in he gets our full support - he does need to move on some players and get his own set up in place.

This “them” patter people think Beale means that. He literally called them a “fantastic football club”. So let’s drop that.

Also if the “focus” was on the league, how did we drop 6 points at home to utter shite? The start to last season was a chance to roar ahead of Paedo FC but we didn’t take it.

If MB comes in he gets our full support - he does need to move on some players and get his own set up in place.
Exactly, the same with Gerrard also happened down at Villa where he got found out quicker against better players and coaches.
The only hope is if Beale comes in he can get us back on track and get us winning again as his own man.

I wasn't attempting to compare Walter Smith's tenure to Gerrard's, I also don't think you really can and it's a pretty futile pursuit to do so.

What my point was, is what you can't say about Gerrard's Old Firm record is 'It was only against Neil Lennon' to discredit it when a) It wasn't and b) Our second greatest manager lost Old Firm games to him, more than once.
Fair enough! Although if memory serves me right he had 1 victory against Rodgers and 1 against the fat Aussie, before they settled and found form. Lennon’s last season was the only one he really lost the plot, prior to that he was always capable of winning OF games and therefore SG deserved all the plaudits he got for beating them.

I'll say what I've said a few threads here:

We wouldn't have lost the league under Gerrard and Beale last year.

Yes they went on a great run but partly because Gio allowed them to by not only losing to them but getting absolutely pumped and giving them huge amounts of confidence. That wouldn't have happened under Gerrard.

We wouldn't have got Seville and maybe not a cup but the league would have been ours IMO, never a doubt about that.
Considering Gio has a better points per game than Gerrard + Beale last season then I'd doubt that. What I've consistently posted on here is that there is a refusal to acknowledge the mentally challengeds form. We were four points ahead because they were brutal and Ange was nearly sacked. If they went on the run they went on under Gio (33 games undefeated) against Gerrard and Beale we'd of been wanting them out on their arse.

Seville cost us the League and it was a price worth paying. We have prematurely sacked Gio in a panic due to failures from above. He is not blameless particularly due to his Old Firm record, but definitely not the main problem in my view.

Sacking Gio has just set a ludicrously high bar in terms of what the next manager has to do with this group of players and Wilson above him, those of you who believe Beale is that man fair enough. Hope I'm wrong but we'll be having this exact same thread this time next year.

Last edited:
No because we saved them for the Mighty St Mirren and Kilmarnock's and Aberdeen's and Hamilton in the league and cups.

I’m talking the 4, 5, 6, 7 goal defeats under Gio, never happened on the previous watch.

A peoples person too. Not the type of guy to leave an 18 year old getting ripped apart by Mo Salah and literally stand watching it with his hands behind his back at the side of the pitch.

Aye a real peoples person. One of the boys, he gets it blah blah

Do you want me to tell the story again, about whilst Gerrard was spending more time down south the players were as frequently in Sanctuary as the training pitch.

It was under the watch of the Management/Coaching staff that he was part of that allowed this, let the squad turn in to an unfit mess, Malmo away was particularly embarrassing not just the result the entire performance and lack of game plan. The home leg was every bit as bad.

How about this Mick, had you continued with the same points per game average you had before you left we would actually have finished with less points for the season than we did.

This is all true. We'll give SG and MB a free hit in season 1, given the absolute shitshow he inherited. Season 2 saw a post winter break collapse, much worse than any downturn under GvB last season. Season 3 was utterly glorious in the league, but a fantastic opportunity to win both cups - and so therefore a treble - was needlessly squandered. The start to season 4 was poor, going out of CL qualifying with a whimper and a very ordinary start to the league campaign. SG and MB improved us greatly from a very low starting position, won us the unforgettable #55 and restored our pride in Europe. But there were also some decidedly dodgy periods, sometimes extended periods. Had season 2 been allowed to finish and had things continued as they were going until the season end - bearing in mind we'd still to play that lot twice - there would have been calls for SG and MB to be removed. There were already murmurings of discontent when the season was called. There has been a fair bit of revisionism regarding their tenure.
That’s exactly right. Revisionism aplenty.

I actually think it was burnout that caused the slump in performances, but teams had also figured out how to set up against us. SG and MB knew this and tried to shake things up a wee bit but it didn’t look like it was working.

Aye a real peoples person. One of the boys, he gets it blah blah

Do you want me to tell the story again, about whilst Gerrard was spending more time down south the players were as frequently in Sanctuary as the training pitch.

It was under the watch of the Management/Coaching staff that he was part of that allowed this, let the squad turn in to an unfit mess, Malmo away was particularly embarrassing not just the result the entire performance and lack of game plan. The home leg was every bit as bad.

How about this Mick, had you continued with the same points per game average you had before you left we would actually have finished with less points for the season than we did.

The boays were having a drink!! In Sanctuary!!! They didn't leave Kent's until 6am....

people-huv-tae-know-still-game.gif

Yes they went on a great run but partly because Gio allowed them to by not only losing to them but getting absolutely pumped and giving them huge amounts of confidence. That wouldn't have happened under Gerrard.

We wouldn't have got Seville and maybe not a cup but the league would have been ours IMO, never a doubt about that.
Sorry but that’s rewriting history for me.

Gerrard had checked out after Malmo, we were not playing well and would have still lost the league.

We would probably have failed to qualify from our Europa League group too.

The game at home to Malmo scuppered our whole season, and that’s on Gerrard (and Beale)

They don’t even compare to the results under Gerrard you mention
They were awful as well getting beat by absolute nobodies like St Mirren and Kilmarnock and the fear anytime we played against Steve Clarke was bad under Gerrard.
I could accept getting beat by Champions League teams but the scores were very poor indeed.
I did not like the way we rolled over against Best chances FC either under GVB.

When he left the team were playing absolutely rank. In fact straight after the title was won we were rotten right up till him and SG left.

Hagi, Tav, Aribo instantly spring to mind as not being able to hit their own arse at the time. Malmo performances were brutal.

It's a bit of a feelgood soundbite from him TBH.
Disagree. We had just pumped Motherwell 6-1 away and Ross county 4-2 (late goal from them took shine off a solid convincing 4-1 win). Beat the scum at Ibrox despite having our 3rd choice keeper in goals, several injuries to key players and had to utilise Balogun at RB, missing our gaffer to illness and we still beat them. Ok some points were spilled and the amazing unbeaten run came to an end at tannadice but to say we were playing rank rotten is fallacy.

When Beale and Gerrard left last season we had already drawn the same amount of games as we have this season having played two less. We had lost to Dundee United. Domestically, the only noticeable difference was the Old Firm win though it’s noteworthy that home advantage is reversed. Taking into consideration Champions League qualification, there is a more than fair case to be made that Gio performed better over the corresponding period this season.

I hope it works out, but Ally and John Greg loved the club and “got it” - didn’t make them legends as managers though
They also had little to no experience coaching/managing. More legends than Beale, as you know. I have my worries as well tbf. I'm hoping for the best like all of us.

Easy to say but we had already dropped points at home to Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen and were pretty poor.
It also does a disservice to what Gio achieved last year as well. Incredible performances in Europe with the squad crippled by injury.

Yeah the evidence suggests Gio couldn’t cut it domestically given what we have seen this season. But trying to keep us alive on three fronts after the winter break was conveniently moved with the resources available was no easy feat.

So yeah, very easy to say.

Not really. It shows he was part of a coaching team that couldn't keep a title challenge past Christmas yet they wouldn't have let a 4 point lead slip? Bollocks
When he left with Gerrard we had lost 9 points over the 13 league games played. Extrapolate that to 38 games gives 88 points. We finished second with 89 points. If he wants to tell us what he/they would have changed to improve the point win ratio, such as dropping McGregor whose mistakes directly cost us 9 points after Gio arrived, I’ll accept his analysis. Otherwise it’s empty rhetoric.

We dropped not one point in the 7 league games between Gio coming in and the break after which our performances then, yet again, fell apart, something that had happened after each winter break under Gerrard also and no-one could answer why so I’m struggling to comprehend how it would have been different under Gerrard/Beale last season. Hopefully Michael will be able to tell us what will be different that will stop the post break malaise as soon as he gets the job, if he gets the job.

Last edited:
Disagree. We had just pumped Motherwell 6-1 away and Ross county 4-2 (late goal from them took shine off a solid convincing 4-1 win). Beat the scum at Ibrox despite having our 3rd choice keeper in goals, several injuries to key players and had to utilise Balogun at RB, missing our gaffer to illness and we still beat them. Ok some points were spilled and the amazing unbeaten run came to an end at tannadice but to say we were playing rank rotten is fallacy.

We were basically missing Tav, McCrorie had played the midweek before and had kept a clean sheet in the impressive 0-0 away to the mighty Alashkert.

McCrorie
Balogun Goldson Helander Barisic
Kamara Davis Aribo
Roofe Morelos Kent

subs
Lundstram, Arfield, Sakala
Hagi, Wright, Itten, Bacuna

Balogun had played right back many times before, some of the best centre halves could play both, Maldini the prime example probably Gough for us.

That is as strong as we got, imagine having all they fit players just now ?

celtic had their right back playing left back, their back four was as weak as they had

Ralston Welsh Starfelt Juranovic. One Out the 4 gets a game in their position when everyone is fit.

Eduoard who had checked out for them missed an absolute sitter, they dominated possession 66-34% at Ibrox ! we scored from a set piece.

Listened to it yesterday, good insight to his time here and that line stood out to me as well.
It sounds superb under the circs but talk is cheap and Rangers had regressed as Celtic had improved. That much is true.

No doubt Gerrard/Beale wouldnt have gifted the title as Gio did. Twice.

Its a little odd he took time out to record a chat about working for Rangers at the time his own job at QPR was needing some attention. Im not sure Id be best pleased were I a fan of theirs.

Itd be like Gio hoping over to Holland last month to chat about winning the League with Feyenoord, what would we all think of that?

When he left with Gerrard we had lost 9 points over the 13 league games played. Extrapolate that to 38 games gives 88 points. We finished second with 89 points. If he wants to tell us what he/they would have changed to improve the point win ratio, such as dropping McGregor who directly whose mistakes directly cost us 9 points after Gio arrived, I’ll accept his analysis. Otherwise it’s empty rhetoric.

We dropped not one point in the 7 league games between Gio coming in and the break after which our performances then, yet again, fell apart, something that had happened after each winter break under Gerrard also and no-one could answer why so I’m struggling to comprehend how it would have been different under Gerrard/Beale last season. Hopefully Michael will be able to tell us what will be different that will stop the post break malaise as soon as he gets the job, if he gets the job.
You have to wonder why the players cannot switch on after we have a break.
We have to be fully up to speed after this break.

We were basically missing Tav, McCrorie had played the midweek before and had kept a clean sheet in the impressive 0-0 away to the mighty Alashkert.

McCrorie
Kamara Davis Aribo
Roofe Morelos Kent

subs

Balogun had played right back many times before, some of the best centre halves could play both, Maldini the prime example probably Gough for us.

celtic had their right back playing left back, their back four was as weak as they had

Ralston Welsh Starfelt Juranovic. One Out the 4 gets a game in their position when everyone is fit.

Eduoard who had checked out for them missed an absolute sitter, they dominated possession 66-34% at Ibrox ! we scored from a set piece.
You’re about to be accused of being a tim for the very un-tim like crime of telling the truth. Balogun had a couple of really excellent games at right back. We also missed Tav for a chunk of games during 55 season and young Patterson filled in seamlessly.

It’s threads like this that really demonstrate the effect Gerrard’s name and profile still has on a lot of our fans, and particularly on their ability to recall past events as they actually happened. Hence history is rewritten so it’s more favourable for him.

We appear to be at that stage of the process where as it looks like becoming a reality many of those voicing mild apoplexy about the idea of him getting the job a week ago are now doing a predictable volte-face.

There are clear factors governing the board’s decision to appoint Beale, IMO. I don’t for a minute believe he’s the result of an exhaustive search for instance.

Much in the same way the board saw Gio as an easy, quick and readymade solution, the fear is Beale appears to be so now.

There are definite concerns therefore about the due diligence (or lack of) involved in this hire and how that plays out in terms of his experience, stature, a likely lack of serious backing and a playing squad that’s badly in need of an overhaul not to mention a settled Yahoo camp about to head over the hills towards another title closer to our record.

We’re all hoping he turns out to be an inspired choice, but if he does I’d still be inclined to believe it was more down to luck than any serious thinking on the board’s part.

Nice soundbite but we'll never know. The decline had already set in when he/they left. I get that the piggery in February was a big turning point and I agree we wouldn't have been battered in the manner we did, but it's absolutely possible we'd still have lost that game and fallen behind them.

I agree.

Winning the LC was the catalyst for what occurred after for them.

We appear to be at that stage of the process where as it looks like becoming a reality many of those voicing mild apoplexy about the idea of him getting the job a week ago are now doing a predictable volte-face.

There are clear factors governing the board’s decision to appoint Beale, IMO. I don’t for a minute believe he’s the result of an exhaustive search for instance.

Much in the same way the board saw Gio as an easy, quick and readymade solution, the fear is Beale appears to be so now.

There are definite concerns therefore about the due diligence (or lack of) involved in this hire and how that plays out in terms of his experience, stature, a likely lack of serious backing and a playing squad that’s badly in need of an overhaul not to mention a settled Yahoo camp about to head over the hills towards another title closer to our record.

We’re all hoping he turns out to be an inspired choice, but if he does I’d still be inclined to believe it was more down to luck than any serious thinking on the board’s part.
I’ll tell you this right now, there’s absolutely no way Beale’s section is the result of an exhaustive recruitment process of assessing all available options and choosing the most suitable candidate to bring sustained success to Rangers.

It’ll be more about being fast, easy, convenient, and most probably cheap. They probably also reckon knowing the players will be a big benefit in terms of not needing to completely overhaul the squad; which to me is the most worrying part because it means most of these spineless chancers are probably about to get their 100th bite at the cherry.

delusional? We hadn't lost to them in 2 years and had some of the most one sided old firms ever in the run. They couldn't get near us

Even under ange we had mccrorie in goals and balogun at rb, with fucking roofe starting and Gary mac in the dugout and we still beat them.

Not disagreeing in general, and this isn't directed just at you, but people need to stop using the one game Gerrard/Beale had against Flange as evidence that Beale will immediately get us back to the proper order of things. It was one match back when that lot were clearly still getting used to his system, and they went on to lose a few others after. By no means is it a given that Beale's philosophy means that lot will be back in their holes.

McCrorie
Kamara Davis Aribo
Roofe Morelos Kent

subs

Why do you say "mighty" Alashkert to dismiss the tie as a walkover? A five hour journey in the middle of pre-season is a pain in the arse, no matter how it's dressed up.

Are you going out your way to make out Celtic were just as handicapped as Rangers that day? Comparing the skillset of Balogun to Maldini? Really?

You are then literally trying to find excuses for Celtic getting beat off us Think about that for a second.

I’ll tell you this right now, there’s absolutely no way Beale’s section is the result of an exhaustive recruitment process of assessing all available options and choosing the most suitable candidate to bring sustained success to Rangers.

It’ll be more about being fast, easy, convenient, and most probably cheap. They probably also reckon knowing the players will be a big benefit in terms of not needing to completely overhaul the squad; which to me is the most worrying part because it means most of these spineless chancers are probably about to get their 100th bite at the cherry.

I honestly fear your last paragraph is spot on. We can all argue about the managers/coaches and who did or didnt win enough; but ultimately, its the same core of players who have consistently and repeatedly let everyone down.

I dont think it matters who takes the job, until there is a full scale clear out and better recruitment.

I refuse to believe a group of players that have performed the way ours have - by giving us our best era of European football over a 3-4 year span, in my lifetime, were incapable of winning more trophies. You cant tell me the team that beat Dortmund, Leipzig, Porto, Feyenoord, PSV, etc - couldnt win more leagues and trophies domestically because of the manager.

Serial failures. They vast majority need hunted and until then, i fear Beale will just be a sticking plaster.

Easy to say but we had already dropped points at home to Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen and were pretty poor.
The “we” includes the board too. Gerrard because he wasn’t back like he needed to be. That team that was overtaken was Garrard’s (and Beale’s team!)

Got to agree with the poster above. What happened seems likely to have happened in either case.

You have to wonder why the players cannot switch on after we have a break.
We have to be fully up to speed after this break.
You are 100% correct. However, I recall Beale saying that they didn’t know why the post break form crash was a thing more than once. Had I been interviewing him I think I would have been asking if he now knew why the post break downturn happened and what he/they would have put in place to reverse its effect. Simply saying ‘Ach, we wouldn’t have let it happen‘ carries no weight whatsoever and may, by no later than 2nd January, be the equivalent to Gio saying we can’t compete financially with the likes of Ajax. Obviously not what was meant but just as Gio’s reply has been misused it could come back to haunt him and us. He could also have said he would have dropped McGregor after his attack of ball dropsy at Ross County thereby removing his ability to be directly responsible for losing another 7 points.
If he becomes manager I’ll support him but everyone needs to recall such as the horseshoe that so many have slated Gio for, seemingly mainly on the back of a Feyenoord fan media guy’s write up, was introduced by Gerrard/Beale. They brought in the system that seemingly necessitated Goldson having to play the ball at least twice before it could be sent forward. In fairness watching the World Cup it seems that pretty well most nations employ the horseshoe the only ones not doing it being the very good such as Spain strangely enough and the like of Japan and Saudi who just go for it. Also before they left a very significant portion of the support were absolutely sick of ‘we play this way and that’s it’. Some folks should go back and re listen to H and H daily updates from last season between Sept and Nov, for example, when performances were routinely slated along with the style of play.
His knowing most of the players may be an advantage in the short term because the club simply does not have money to replace a significant number of them but longer term there needs to be under performers moved out as the opportunity arises if they have some value. Also anyone who has a decent value needs to be transferred whether or not he wants to keep them, Kamara being a likely early example.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we aren’t looking for another manager before the end of next season.

I honestly fear your last paragraph is spot on. We can all argue about the managers/coaches and who did or didnt win enough; but ultimately, its the same core of players who have consistently and repeatedly let everyone down.

I dont think it matters who takes the job, until there is a full scale clear out and better recruitment.

I refuse to believe a group of players that have performed the way ours have - by giving us our best era of European football over a 3-4 year span, in my lifetime, were incapable of winning more trophies. You cant tell me the team that beat Dortmund, Leipzig, Porto, Feyenoord, PSV, etc - couldnt win more leagues and trophies domestically because of the manager.

Serial failures. They vast majority need hunted and until then, i fear Beale will just be a sticking plaster.
I don’t know how anyone can have any patience left at all with these players. Keep them and they’ll just let down another manager, it’s inevitable.

Why do you say "mighty" Alashkert to dismiss the tie as a walkover? A five hour journey in the middle of pre-season is a pain in the arse, no matter how it's dressed up.

Are you going out your way to make out Celtic were just as handicapped as Rangers that day? Comparing the skillset of Balogun to Maldini? Really?

You are then literally trying to find excuses for Celtic getting beat off us Think about that for a second.

Middle of preseason ? We played them at the end of August. We played the first of our 5 preseason games on 5 July !

It was our 8th competitive game of the season.

Yes celtic were “handicapped” more than us, other than our first choice right back, we only had McCrorie in goals, from being full strength. I’d argue by that stage McCrorie was actually better than McGregor who was done by then and much of a muchness with McLaughlin.

Wow not only can you not get your facts right you struggle to understand basic English. no one compared Balogun to Maldini. Balogun played plenty at full back at many clubs before us.

Just for one day try accept reality rather than continually looking for excuses.

PS did you see how the Mighty Alashkert got on in the Conference League when they dropped down, 1 draw out of the 6 games in a dead rubber last game. They had 3 clean sheets in 14 European games, we were in illustrious company with Connah‘s Quay Nomads and Kairat

they finished the league with 51 points, only 23 points behind the team above them.

Last edited:
Back