Bear in Mind - Can you answer these 8 Rangers related questions? (Sunday 23rd)

MrBearightside

Here are your band of Bears....

Can you name the 5 bears from snippets from their Wikipedia?

1) "One of the highlights of his career is his super goal for Rosenburg against Blackburn Rovers in the UEFA Champions League in 1995. He was sold to Scottish club Rangers, where he scored goals against Kilmarnock in the league and Falkirk in the League Cup."

Clue - Initals
SS

Answer -
Stale Stensaas

2) "He had shown little talent in leading a defense, despite his old age, and also had the role of team cheerleader. In 2005, he almost led the club to their first Allsvenskan title since 1996, but lost out to Djurgårdens IF in the penultimate game.
He signed with Rangers on 26 May 2006 for an undisclosed fee on a three–year contract. The fee was reported to have been in the region of £600,000. He made his Rangers debut in the first match of the Scottish Premier League that season, a 2–1 victory away to Motherwell."

Clue - Initals
KS

Answer -
Karl Svensson

3) "Rangers accepted a £2m offer from Middlesbrough for him July 2010. Middlesbrough then confirmed that he had passed a medical, despite the player having suffered two serious knee injuries earlier in his career, and completed his transfer. In his second league match for Middlesbrough, he suffered a fractured fibula against Leicester City, which prevented him from playing for two months. Further injury problems meant that he only played in 44 games during his first two seasons with Middlesbrough. His contract with Middlesbrough was cancelled on 31 January 2013 by mutual consent."

Clue - Initals
KT

Answer -
Kevin Thomson

4) "His biggest impact in club football came whilst at Scottish side Rangers, for whom he played over 150 games and won the Scottish Premier League twice, the Scottish League Cup twice and the Scottish Cup 3 times. His goal against Italian side Parma in a UEFA Champions League qualifying round tie in 1999 cemented him a place in Rangers folklore. He left the club in 2002 and joined Middlesbrough on a free transfer."

Clue - Initals
TV

Answer -
Tony Vidmar

***Older Bear***

5) "He played for Rangers from 1936 to 1954, then became a manager with first Dundee and then Partick Thistle. He later returned to Rangers as assistant manager to Davie White in the summer of 1968 and was briefly caretaker manager in 1969 after White's dismissal. He then worked as assistant to William Waddell until 1972. The club won the two matches when he was in charge. He is one of Scotland's all-time top goalscorers, with 138 league goals."

Clue - Initals
WT

Answer -
Willie Thornton

Name team marked with XXX.

You will have to work out who the player is, then work out the club.

6)
1985–1987 Malmö FF 41 (6)
1987 Zürich 2 (1)
1988–1989 Malmö FF 35 (5)
1989–1992 Benfica 100 (10)
1992–1994 Napoli 48 (1)
1994–1997 XXX 59 (3)
1997–1999 Rangers 23 (5)

Clue - Initals of player
JT

Clue - Name of player
Jonas Thern

Clue - Initals of team
ASR

Answer -
Roma

7)
1996–2003 Dundee United 133 (18)
2003–2006 Rangers 62 (17)
2006–2008 XXX 97 (16)
2008–2011 Burnley 83 (13)
2011–2016 St Mirren 154 (44)

Clue - Initals of player
ST

Clue - Name of player
Steven Thompson

Clue - Initals of team
CCFC

Answer -
Cardiff

8)
***Hat-trick Hero***

I will ask 3 questions about a memorable game. If you get the question right you get a "GOAL!", if not... you have blown it! You only get 1 chance to answer each, so honesty is required when posting your score!

You need to get the Hattrick to get the point!

The game is Rangers v Celtic - League Cup Final - March 2011

What was the final score?
•1 - 0
MISS
•2 - 1
GOOOOAAAALLLL

Who did we beat in the semis?
•Dunfermline
MISS
•Motherwell
GOOOAAAAALLL
•Kilmarnock
MISS

(If you have managed to score the first 2 then the pressure is on)

What minute was the Davis goal?
MISS
GOOOOAAAALLLL
MISS
MISS

Goals

As always please leave a comment, I enjoy reading them (it's why I do this)

Enjoy your day Bears!

COME ON RANGERS

Last edited:
Got 1 with clues. Didn't get 2. Got 3. Didn't get 4 or 5. Got player in 6 but didn't get team. Got player in 7 and team with clues. 2 lucky guesses for my hatrick but got the time wrong. Thanks again MrB

One and two with initials.
Three and four, no problem
Got five but only when I read the top scorer clue.
No problem with six.
Needed initials for seven and that was the only reason I got the team.
Didn‘t get the hat-trick.
Missed out on the semi finals but I’d have scored the penalty.
Brilliant stuff again.
Thanks for your time.

8/8 First ever Hat trick. Needed initials for 2 and for club in 7. Took a guess at Semi opposition in HT Q. Great stuff as always Mr B. Much appreciated the time and effort you put into this. I’ll be sad to see it go when you decide to stop doing it.

1) "One of the highlights of his career is his super goal for Rosenburg against Blackburn Rovers in the UEFA Champions League in 1995. He was sold to Scottish club Rangers, where he scored goals against Kilmarnock in the league and Falkirk in the League Cup."

Clue - Initals
SS

Answer -
Stale Stensaas

2) "He had shown little talent in leading a defense, despite his old age, and also had the role of team cheerleader. In 2005, he almost led the club to their first Allsvenskan title since 1996, but lost out to Djurgårdens IF in the penultimate game.
He signed with Rangers on 26 May 2006 for an undisclosed fee on a three–year contract. The fee was reported to have been in the region of £600,000. He made his Rangers debut in the first match of the Scottish Premier League that season, a 2–1 victory away to Motherwell."

Clue - Initals
KS

Answer -
Karl Svensson

3) "Rangers accepted a £2m offer from Middlesbrough for him July 2010. Middlesbrough then confirmed that he had passed a medical, despite the player having suffered two serious knee injuries earlier in his career, and completed his transfer. In his second league match for Middlesbrough, he suffered a fractured fibula against Leicester City, which prevented him from playing for two months. Further injury problems meant that he only played in 44 games during his first two seasons with Middlesbrough. His contract with Middlesbrough was cancelled on 31 January 2013 by mutual consent."

Clue - Initals
KT

Answer -
Kevin Thomson

4) "His biggest impact in club football came whilst at Scottish side Rangers, for whom he played over 150 games and won the Scottish Premier League twice, the Scottish League Cup twice and the Scottish Cup 3 times. His goal against Italian side Parma in a UEFA Champions League qualifying round tie in 1999 cemented him a place in Rangers folklore. He left the club in 2002 and joined Middlesbrough on a free transfer."

Clue - Initals
TV

Answer -
Tony Vidmar

***Older Bear***

5) "He played for Rangers from 1936 to 1954, then became a manager with first Dundee and then Partick Thistle. He later returned to Rangers as assistant manager to Davie White in the summer of 1968 and was briefly caretaker manager in 1969 after White's dismissal. He then worked as assistant to William Waddell until 1972. The club won the two matches when he was in charge. He is one of Scotland's all-time top goalscorers, with 138 league goals."

Clue - Initals
WT

Answer -
Willie Thornton

6)
1987 Zürich 2 (1)
1992–1994 Napoli 48 (1)
1994–1997 XXX 59 (3)
1997–1999 Rangers 23 (5)

Clue - Initals of player
JT

Clue - Name of player
Jonas Thern

Clue - Initals of team
ASR

Answer -
Roma

7)
2006–2008 XXX 97 (16)

Clue - Initals of player
ST

Clue - Name of player
Steven Thompson

Clue - Initals of team
CCFC

Answer -
Cardiff

8)
***Hat-trick Hero***

I will ask 3 questions about a memorable game. If you get the question right you get a "GOAL!", if not... you have blown it! You only get 1 chance to answer each, so honesty is required when posting your score!

•1 - 0
MISS
•2 - 1
GOOOOAAAALLLL

•Dunfermline
MISS
•Motherwell
GOOOAAAAALLL
•Kilmarnock
MISS

MISS
GOOOOAAAALLLL
MISS
MISS

Goals

Enjoy your day Bears!

COME ON RANGERS
Got them all except Older Bear. Needed Initials for last Club.

Nailed the Hat-Trick.

Last edited:
1) needed initials
2) needed initials
3) no initials needed
4) needed initials
5) needed initials
6) got player but not club
7) got player but not club
8) 2/3

All except the older Bear, including the teams and the hattrick.

Only needed the first line of number 3, still breaks my heart.

Clue - Initals
SS

Answer -
Stale Stensaas

Clue - Initals
KS

Answer -
Karl Svensson

Clue - Initals
KT

Answer -
Kevin Thomson

Clue - Initals
TV

Answer -
Tony Vidmar

***Older Bear***

Clue - Initals
WT

Answer -
Willie Thornton

6)
1987 Zürich 2 (1)
1992–1994 Napoli 48 (1)
1994–1997 XXX 59 (3)
1997–1999 Rangers 23 (5)

Clue - Initals of player
JT

Clue - Name of player
Jonas Thern

Clue - Initals of team
ASR

Answer -
Roma

7)
2006–2008 XXX 97 (16)

Clue - Initals of player
ST

Clue - Name of player
Steven Thompson

Clue - Initals of team
CCFC

Answer -
Cardiff

8)
***Hat-trick Hero***

•1 - 0
MISS
•2 - 1
GOOOOAAAALLLL

•Dunfermline
MISS
•Motherwell
GOOOAAAAALLL
•Kilmarnock
MISS

MISS
GOOOOAAAALLLL
MISS
MISS

Goals

Enjoy your day Bears!

COME ON RANGERS
Brilliant mate although I am terrible at things like this!!

3/5 without clues
2/5 with clues
Got both players but needed a clue for the 2nd team.
Never got the hattrick.

First 2 I needed initials, didn’t get the older bear.

Got the rest without clues, including my first hat trick haha! Though fair to say the minute of the goal was a guess!

I’m obviously better at this early in the morning - managed 7 out of 8 but missed goal again.
Only clue needed was question no 6 which I would never have got without clue.
Excellent work Mr B.

Everything correct although I needed clues for number 2. The wiki entry is misleading. Had a guess at the semi finalists in the hat trick question but got lucky.

Needed initials for the team we signed number 6 from. Otherwise got them all but a few brain testers in there.

Great wee start to the day, hope Rangers make it even better this afternoon.

I did well today after yesterday's struggles.

Needed a clue for team no2, and didn't get the semi finalists for the hat trick. Got the minute but I'll admit it was a guess.

Even got the older bear, it helps when you have just finished the Colin Stein book!

I was right with my initial thought for number 2, but used the initials as the "old age" had me doubting myself. I got all the rest, but I admit to guessing the goal time and semi final opponents for the hat-trick.
Cheers @MrBearightside I particularly enjoy these threads at weekends with my morning cuppa.

Used a few clues but got everyone including a hattrick bar svensson... Tried to block him from my memory I think

Full house! Can't believe that - the minute of the goal was an educated guess.

Walking on air here.

Cheers for doing this Mr B, always enjoy them. Good questions, needed the initials for a few of them. Thought the Tony Vidmar one was a bit too obvious.

I never get the older bear ones, which is a bit embarrassing. I clearly don't know the history of our great club as well as I should.

Back