Bear in Mind - Can you name the 5 Bears from snippets from their Wikipedia? (Sunday 26th)

MrBearightside

A slight change to the numbers, every day I will post 3 bears and a bonus bear except on game days where I will post 5 bears and a bonus bear (rather than 5 bears and a bonus on a Friday). Today is game day... so...

Let's do this....

1) "He returned to Scotland for a third time following the expiration of his contract at Palace with Heart of Midlothian. In his first season with the club, he helped them win the Scottish Championship title, returning to the Scottish Premiership after one season as they achieved a third-place finish in the top division. "

Clue - Initals
NA

Answer -
Neil Alexander

2) "He spent two seasons in the Scottish Premier League with Rangers, signing for £4.2 million. He netted 13 times in 45 official contests during his time with the club, winning the double on both occasions and adding the 1998 edition of the Scottish League Cup; on 15 May 1999 he scored a hat-trick in a 5–1 away routing of Motherwell, one of the goals coming through a penalty."

Clue - Initals
GA

Answer -
Gabriel Amato

3) "After a dispute over contract negotiations, he left Newcastle on 31 January 2005 to join Southampton on a five-month contract.

When Southampton were relegated to the Championship in 2005, his contract expired and was not renewed by the club.

After leaving Southampton, he signed a two-year deal with Rangers on 1 September 2005"

Clue - Initals
OB

Answer -
Oliver Bernard

4) "He got a 13-month ban for taking cocaine in 1993 and has a history of enjoying the high life. After his ban expired the striker joined Benfica and then Roma. "

Clue - Initals
CC

Answer -
Claudio Caniggia

5) "He is a defender, and plays primarily as a right-back, but has had spells at left back and as a wingback during his career. He made his first team debut for Watford in May 2009 against Derby County, before playing in the majority of Watford's games in the 2009–10 season, during which he earned a three-year professional contract."

He has also played for Brentford, MK Don's, 3 Scottish clubs and currently plays for Gillingham"

Clue - Initals
LH

Answer -
Lee Hodson

***Bonus Bear***

"He made his debut for Rangers on 6 November against Kilmarnock, scoring two goals in a 6–0 win. He missed the next two seasons doing his national service. After his return in December 1957, Scot Symon had become the manager and he formed an effective strike partnership with fellow Edinburgh native Jimmy Millar, and scored 14 goals in 28 games over the course of the second half of the season.

Having been joined on the left wing by Davie Wilson, his best season came in 1960–61, in which he played in all of Rangers' 34 league games, scoring 24 goals, and 44 in all competitions. These included five goals in Rangers' run to the final of the Cup Winners Cup, three of which were scored in an 8–0 victory over Borussia Mönchengladbach.

He played in four Scottish championship winning sides: 1958–59, 1960–61, 1962–63 and the Treblewinning side of 1963–64. He won four League Cup and three Scottish Cup winner's medals, the latter set achieved in consecutive years in which he was a scorer in every final (plus a goal in the Old Firm replay of 1963), the only player to have achieved that feat. He played in a total of seven finals for the club, scoring six goals and never finishing on the losing side. In his time at Rangers he played 317 times and scored 206 goals, and is the club's third top post-war scorer behind Ally McCoist and Derek Johnstone.

He played his last match for Rangers on 23 April 1965 when he scored the only goal in a 1–0 win over Third Lanark in the final League game of the season. He was sold to Manchester City in August that year for £30,000. Two years later he moved to Sunderland before returning to Scottish football at Raith Rovers (managed by his friend Jimmy Millar). He retired in 1970, although he would come out of retirement to play a handful of matches for Hamilton Academical in 1971–72."

Clue - Initals
RB

Answer -
Ralph Brand

Please leave a comment after completing the challenge, that way I can see what ones are too easy, too tricky and what era people are more familiar with.

Enjoy

COME ON RANGERS!!

This is the best thread in the Bear Pit these days and one I always look out for.

4/5 today, inexcusably had a mind fart on number 1.

First one I got after a brain freeze for a minute.
Found 2, 3 and 4 quite straightforward.
Really should have got number 5 but even with the initials I stared at it for ages. Finally came to me based entirely on going through first names beginning with that letter!
Bonus one was easiest of them all, although loads of information in the clue compared to the others.

So 4.5 as needed a clue for the 5th one.

Genuinely enjoy these, even if I end up annoyed at myself a lot.

Last edited:
4/5 and got the bonus bear, stumped by number 5 even with the clue, couldn't believe I didn't get it when I opened the answer.

3 out of 6. Had blanked one from my memory, and couldn't think of the coke-loving striker. Nov chance with the bonus.

Think i had wiped 3 and 5 from memory as couldn't get them even with initials, thanks OP you've opened up old scars :D
Number 4 was the easiest, it only required the first 9 words.

Regarding the bonus, amazing to think of players doing national service and then returning to football, can you imagine that happening now if we still had national service.

apologies to OP for not commenting on these threads before been thoroughly enjoying them. I usually average 2/3 and prefer the tricky ones. Wee bit upset at getting reminded of oliver bernard today but apart from that they're great.

Really enjoy these threads, great work sir!

3/5 plus the bonus for me today. Never got 3 or 5. Have actually noticed a trend in my memory through these threads which is bizzare. I seem to be a lot better at recalling players from longer ago in my youth, but struggle more with players from last 10-15 years. Probably just a sign of getting older (mid 50's) I suppose.

1) initials
2) initials
3) initials
4) without initials
5) wrong
Bonus) without initials

5/5 :))

Needed initials for 3 of them though

Nowhere near the bonus as usual

Back