Beaten by a wonder strike and an unlucky own goal

both teams had shots that squeaked past
we hit the woodwork and nearly had them score an og
they scored a worldie & the own goal was unfortunate

beyond that neither keeper was worked to any extent - if anything their keeper had a couple of moments of wobbling with crosses

Personally people pushing this narrative isn't helpful.

We are way off it and we are not doing the basics well at all that's completely in our own hands.
Let's be honest, what we post on here is irrelevant. We all have our views and opinions. Whilst that makes for good reading and debate the only opinions that count are inside Ibrox.

Posting opinion A against view B isn't going to determine the staff and players view of each game played or in the future.

They are neither helpful nor unhelpful.

Whilst I expected to lose, probably by a higher margin, I also expected a far higher level of performance from the squad and the management team.

Aside Balogun and Lundstram, for me, noone got beyond pass marks. Noone excelled, noone looked to take the game to Lyon.

We were passive in almost every aspect of the game (and the crowd noise was pretty poor as well).
Lyon strolled it essentially.
2 goals from losing possession easily and not sorting back into position.
Poor attacking play and no composure in midfield, overall pretty poor.

Lyon would be up there with Leverkusen and Benfica as the best teams we have played under Stevie G. The manager thinks we competed better last night than we did against Leverkusen, and the Lyon coach seems to agree.

I think we played as well as Lyon allowed us to last night. We could easily have gone in level at half time but for an excellent save from their goalie. Lyon deserved to win but we still have every chance of taking all the points we need from our next four games, before we go to Lyon in the last match of the group.

Beaten by a good side who aren’t firing on all cylinders domestically. No doubting Lyon are a good side. I don’t think they are better than Leverkusen, Benfica or Porto, who we’ve played in recent years.

We didn’t played well, IMO, and a Rangers team in form would have given Lyon a game last night. That’s the issue, bar the 2nd half against Celtic we have barely kicked a ball this season.

A wonder goal - Kent coming inside and losing possession, Lundstram allowing Ekambi too much time and space - great finish. But from our point of view, a terrible goal to give away.

The build up to their second was poor as well.

I think we were simply beaten by the better team. They look a right good side. Be amazed if they aren't in the Champions League next season. For me it's effectively a 3 team group for 2nd place.

Nothing between the teams, barring a wonder strike and an own goal - some of the hysteria on here is incredible.

Maybe I’m just a positive person.
They are a team of very high quality and pound for pound are miles ahead of our team, in these groups you expect to get beat from teams like Lyon and at best hope you get a draw.

Ta. What's a 'shooting chance'? Does it involve getting a shot on target away?
Passing accuracy and possession I'll pass on.
Well to take a shot you have to create the chance to take the shot for the most part. The 11 shots to their 8 is the number.

Keep looking for ways to slate the team though for losing a game we were expected to lose but actually performed well in

We didn't play too badly last night but feel we could be better.
Prague and Brondby won't be walkovers either, this is a tougher group than many on here think it is.

Well to take a shot you have to create the chance to take the shot for the most part. The 11 shots to their 8 is the number.

Keep looking for ways to slate the team though for losing a game we were expected to lose but actually performed well in
Sussed;)

I thought Lyon were good but they did not leave me thinking wow

While there is always an overreaction on here we clearly are not performing at the same level as last year.

We are not as potent upfront and we’re definitely more ropey at the back

At some point we either have to adjust our expectations or the team snaps out of it.

We are edging towards the former which is understandably not that nice.

Lyon are joint favourites for the tournament
Put Man City out if CL1/4 Final not long ago
I've still to see the stats for the match bit I'd be guessing most aspects to be pretty even
We are still not on form but their first goal was just one of those things
Give him a penalty from there & I know where my money would be
Kent gifting possession cost us twice & whilst the 2nd goal was a bit of a calamity it was also unlucky
We had 2 decent chances with their keeper making 2 good saves
That was the real difference in the game, gifting 2 goals n not taking chances

People saying they could have moved up 2 gears - I need to learn how to spot that because I can't believe they allowed us those 2 chances intentionally by not trying, I don't believe early doors when they misplaced numerous passes several going right out of play was just to give us false hope

They were good but any Lyon fan would probably say their players all played well
We can't really say the same as we still seem to be missing something

Positives are there from the game limiting a top team to very few real chances
Whilst negatives are also there with not taking chances being one of them.

I just didn't see the game as the 1 side affair so many appear to have seen. I felt when I got in & watched the highlights Owen Hargreaves comment matched my thoughts but it is amazing how we can all see the same game so differently

Tbh I thought the 2nd was just a comedy of errors and piss poor defending.Lyon are a good side but we made it far too easy for them.

Does that include a 40 yard blooter out the stadium from Sakala?

I think we were beaten by giving them back the ball cheaply every time we got it.
This was something I clearly remember Gerrard speaking about in his first season in Europe. It's been a feature of our play in the previous two European campaigns that we haven't given the ball away cheaply and when we do we've worked bloody hard to get it back. I fully appreciate Lyon were as high a quality outfit as this Rangers team have faced to date but last night was like a big step backwards.

I don't think anyone has a complaint with the result based on Lyon. Their complaint is with another sub-par performance on a night.

The talk is about still to go up some gears and people are rightly highlighting that we couldn't go up a gear playing a team like Lyon.

Lyon have spent multi millions on their team and have far more experience at the highest level but aside from the goals we competed well. They are the top seed in the group and we will qualify along with them.

Don’t know what people expected but the negativity on here is well over the top.
Exactly.

Does that include a 40 yard blooter out the stadium from Sakala?

If you don’t buy a ticket you can’t win the raffle.

but in all seriousness I think the UEFA stats for our 5 Euro games so far this season have been

total attempts us 67, opposition 25

on target us 21, opposition 9

goals us 3 opposition 6

I think Malmö scored 4 goals from 5 on target

Lyon 2 from 3 on target

So is that it we have only made 3 saves in Europe in 5 games ?

Although the first goal was a good strike, both Kent and Lundstram didn’t cover themselves in glory. Kent losing possession and Lundstram allowing him inside easily.

Second goal, Kent again, after doing the hard work, tries to drop the shoulder on the edge of our box and from then, despite the actual goal being slightly unlucky, they had three attempts to score.

We did ok in the game but didn’t cause them enough problems for being at home and both goals were avoidable from our point of view.
Virtually every goal scored has someone who could have done a bit better. If they all did that there would be no goals ever! That's what happens, one team exploits an error by another team - it's called football!

Although the first goal was a good strike, both Kent and Lundstram didn’t cover themselves in glory. Kent losing possession and Lundstram allowing him inside easily.

Second goal, Kent again, after doing the hard work, tries to drop the shoulder on the edge of our box and from then, despite the actual goal being slightly unlucky, they had three attempts to score.

We did ok in the game but didn’t cause them enough problems for being at home and both goals were avoidable from our point of view.
Thank god someone else was watching the same game as me.

A switched-on, energetic, aggressive and sharp Rangers - playing to the levels we have seen in the past year - would have been capable of getting at least a draw against that team last night. We were not switched-on, energetic, aggressive or sharp last night.

Lyon are joint favourites for the tournament
Put Man City out if CL1/4 Final not long ago
I've still to see the stats for the match bit I'd be guessing most aspects to be pretty even
We are still not on form but their first goal was just one of those things
Give him a penalty from there & I know where my money would be
Kent gifting possession cost us twice & whilst the 2nd goal was a bit of a calamity it was also unlucky
We had 2 decent chances with their keeper making 2 good saves
That was the real difference in the game, gifting 2 goals n not taking chances

People saying they could have moved up 2 gears - I need to learn how to spot that because I can't believe they allowed us those 2 chances intentionally by not trying, I don't believe early doors when they misplaced numerous passes several going right out of play was just to give us false hope

They were good but any Lyon fan would probably say their players all played well
We can't really say the same as we still seem to be missing something

Positives are there from the game limiting a top team to very few real chances
Whilst negatives are also there with not taking chances being one of them.

I just didn't see the game as the 1 side affair so many appear to have seen. I felt when I got in & watched the highlights Owen Hargreaves comment matched my thoughts but it is amazing how we can all see the same game so differently

Most on here watched the game on the telly and took what McLean, Craigan and Rae were slating as gospel. The majority who are doing the slagging had their feet up in their front rooms.

Lyon played well with good performances from several players whilst we had Davis and Kamara below their usual high standards and despite that we did create chances and with a bit of luck wouldn't have conceded the second.

The other factor that affected the game was the referee and linesman allowing the falling down when an opposition player is in the vicinity to become a foul!

Stats don't tell the story of a game?

Stats can't tell you when a team look as if they are coasting or struggling.

If you didn't see us chasing shadows, losing a lot of second balls and not creating a lot of clear cut chances last night then you couldn't of been watching the same game as me.

They might not tell everything but you can certainly tell if a team "dominated" with them. Lyon clearly didn't.

I don’t think we were particularly poor last night. Held our own against a very decent side. Kent lost the ball in silly areas twice and we were punished, that’s what happens against quality. We did create a few chances of our own and should have scored.

Stats don't tell the story of a game?

Stats can't tell you when a team look as if they are coasting or struggling.

If you didn't see us chasing shadows, losing a lot of second balls and not creating a lot of clear cut chances last night then you couldn't of been watching the same game as me.
To be fair Lyon didn't create many chances.McGregor was beaten by a fantastic shot and an OG.
They were easy on the eye and slick with the ball but they were not exactly battering us with shots on target.IMO they were a bit better than us but no massive gulf between the teams.

To be fair Lyon didn't create many chances.McGregor was beaten by a fantastic shot and an OG.
They were easy on the eye and slick with the ball but they were not exactly battering us with shots on target.IMO they were a bit better than us but no massive gulf between the teams.
Can't disagree although I got the feeling we were labouring where as they could of upped their game.

Nothing between the teams, barring a wonder strike and an own goal - some of the hysteria on here is incredible.

Maybe I’m just a positive person.
I would say we competed, but overall they were slightly better on the night. But feel if we turned up last night with our A game we would have turned them over! Too many players off it again last night. But feel we'll come good over the next few weeks, keeping it positive as well!!

The first 15 to 20 minutes we were the better team and wouldnt let them get into their stride but once they settled they just looked a bit too good for us to be honest. A game like that when you are playing a team who have mostly better players than you do then every one youre players have to be on their mettle. If theyre not then youll get beat and thats how it turned out unfortunately.

Most on here watched the game on the telly and took what McLean, Craigan and Rae were slating as gospel. The majority who are doing the slagging had their feet up in their front rooms.

Lyon played well with good performances from several players whilst we had Davis and Kamara below their usual high standards and despite that we did create chances and with a bit of luck wouldn't have conceded the second.

The other factor that affected the game was the referee and linesman allowing the falling down when an opposition player is in the vicinity to become a foul!
This is something I have often suspected but I’m glad you mentioned it derbybear .

the commentators shaping people’s perceptions of what happened during a game .

I think people Would have a more informed and personal view of the match if they watched with the sound down. And we would then get a genuinely interesting debate about matches and players etc .

the point I would make about our goals concede is there isn’t enough communication and collective work going in on in our team.
An example would be the opener last night , a turnover in the middle of the park and the guy ultimately shoots and scores from about 22 yards was it . Lovely setup and shot , yep .

but here’s the way I think of it why when Ekemba got possession out wide our two defenders were not able to work collectively to tie him up . Lundstram and Goldson combine there’s no way he gets that run on them and time to lineup a shot and shape it so cleanly . That happened imo because those two players did not work collectively . The forward was left to get inside past just one of them and the time to finish . That is something that at a player level I do not understand .

Last edited:
They are an excellent team and have spent a lot of money, however, there is no doubt we didn't play well for big chunks of the game. We are better than the display we put on. On a different day we very much could have gotten a result against them.

Still every chance we will finish 2nd in this group.

Lyon are top seeds in the group.
To lose last night was not unexpected.
We have to start gathering points from the next five games in the group.

Our main objective is still winning the league

We have to start gathering points from the next five games in the group

The thing is our home record overall is abysmal. Never once in nearly 30 years of the sections in Europe, have we won all our home games. So that's kaput for another year too.

However loads of teams have came back from a a first tie defeat. So who knows. It seems like it's a mini league within the group. Us, Brondby and Prague. It probably always was.

It w
Lundstram could have got tighter but watching it back again, Ekambi saw Tav making up the ground and decided to take it that split second early. Otherwise he might have taken an extra touch. The power he generated on it was incredible.
It was a fantastic strike, I just thought Lundstram got in front of the ball a bit, allowing him to cut inside easily.

Virtually every goal scored has someone who could have done a bit better. If they all did that there would be no goals ever! That's what happens, one team exploits an error by another team - it's called football!
Yeah, but when they are against Rangers it’s only natural to try and see how they could have been prevented. Equally there would have been other mistakes that didn’t lead to goals, so they are forgotten about.
The margins are so fine and unfortunately Lyon punished us for some sloppiness and we didn’t punish them.

It still frustrates me though when we lose goals because someone tries to be clever on the edge of our box. Also for the first goal, Kent receiving the ball on the half way line, heading towards our goal surrounded by defenders isn’t ideal, it’s not where we want him to receive the ball but he has to be pragmatic and savvy enough to do the simple thing and keep possession.

We didn't play badly. It was an okay performance. As OP says we were unlucky
First half I thought we matched them pound for pound. Their keeper was the busier in the first '45.
But I could see their opening goal coming from the very second that Kent lost the ball. We were slow to cover and get back. It was a great strike, to be fair.

Second half they were the better team. I thought we looked disjointed, off the pace and we gave the ball away too often. Only when Roofe, Wright and Sakala came on did we start going forward with any purpose.

Second goal was a bit of bad luck but we should have cleared it out of the box at the first or second attempt.

Just my opinion.

The ball always fell nicely for them, sometimes your luck is not in. Add to that the blatant diving that the officials bought time and again.

A very good and accurate summary, but we do not help ourselves by losing the ball in all area's and very little on goal attemps,

We can certainly look at it that way, or we could also acknowledge that we were far from our best and given some of our performances in Europe over the past three years there was no reason to think we couldn’t have gone out there and beaten them.

I’m actually a little dismayed at how resigned to the defeat we seemed to be. Even the players didn’t look like they fully believed they could win while our starting line-up suggested the management were looking to contain them than push on for the win ourselves.

There’s certainly no disgrace in losing to a side of Lyon’s pedigree, but let’s not use it to mask our own continuing issues.

Back