Beaton had a shocker during Livingston vs Rangers clash – Gerrard was right, says Kris Boyd

BlueMeanie

THINKING back to my career, how I spoke to referees makes me feel ashamed.
If I’m honest about it, there were times when I didn’t treat them with the respect they deserved.
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard confronts referee John Beaton
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard confronts referee John Beaton
If I knew then what I know now about how words can impact on people, I would definitely have behaved differently.
Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t the worst offender.
But I cringe now when I think about some of the things I said and the language I used.
It was all done in the heat of the game when tempers were often frayed, but that doesn’t excuse it.
Rangers star Alfredo Morelos is brought down by Livingston keeper Max Stryjek
Rangers star Alfredo Morelos is brought down by Livingston keeper Max Stryjek
If I’ve realised anything in the last few years, it’s that we’re all just human beings trying to do our best.
But the bottom line from Rangers’ game at Livingston the other night was that John Beaton’s best wasn’t good enough.
He got it badly wrong on so many levels.
First things first — his decision to show Alfredo Morelos a yellow card for diving inside the box was a SHOCKER. It was a penalty. Simple as that.
How Beaton came to the conclusion he did, I’ll never know, because for me it was as clear a spot-kick as you’re likely to see.

That his assistant on that side and the fourth official both agreed with him makes it all the more staggering.
That’s where Steven Gerrard was right with his comments after the game.
And it’s why I can totally understand the way he acted at half-time when he made a beeline for Beaton.
He won’t be proud of his behaviour.
It’s not been his style during his time in Scottish football to let rip like that and I suspect he’ll wish he did things differently and kept his cool.
Beaton reaches for his yellow and red cards
Beaton reaches for his yellow and red cards
But it’s oh so easy to say that the morning after the night before.
Just like it’s easy for me to say now that my career is over that I regret the way I spoke to referees.
Gerrard has been offered a one-game touchline ban for what he did and he’ll need to accept that punishment.
Rangers can’t really defend him, can they?
Not when the TV cameras were there to pick up exactly the language he used.
But he wasn’t the only one who lost his focus because Beaton did, too.

By the letter of the law, he should have shown Gerrard a straight red card when he marched on to the pitch and started berating him, but he flashed only yellow.
Some may argue he was trying to calm the situation down, but try telling that to the managers who don’t get that kind of leniency when they lambast refs.
But the bigger picture in all of this is that our refs need to be given more help than they’re currently getting.
The game is evolving almost by the day and yet our refs are doing things in exactly the same way as they were years ago.
I said here weeks ago how I thought it was high time we brought in some sort of VAR — and this incident has only served to underline that.
Bobby Madden referees a Hamilton game
Bobby Madden referees a Hamilton game
I could see on the Sky monitors within ten seconds of the Morelos incident that it was a penalty.
Just like everyone watching at home could see it.
So why are we putting our refs at a disadvantage when there are tools there that can help them? It makes no sense.
It’s also now time for refs to come out and explain their decisions, because sitting in silence is not good enough in 2021.
Beaton is in the eye of a storm right now — people are criticising him left, right and centre.
If he came out and said what happened from his perspective, then it would massively help things.
There will be people at the SFA who will say that only leads to negative headlines because their words could be misconstrued.
But that’s just nonsense — and they know it.
Referees would get a lot more respect if they took responsibility for their mistakes and held up their hands now and again.
Had Beaton come out after the game and said something like, “Having watched the Morelos incident again, I realise I got it wrong”, then most fair-minded folk would accept that.
Right now, I honestly think our referees are being badly let down by the system.

If you ask me, we have some experienced refs who are going through a bad time and emerging ones who make rash decisions.
Willie Collum hasn’t been great lately and made errors he probably wouldn’t have made a few years ago.
I also don’t think Steven McLean has recovered from the day he sent off three players at Kilmarnock.
But I also look at someone like Bobby Madden and think he’s a brilliant official.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say he’s the best referee we’ve ever had in Scotland.
This is a guy who operates in a world where the scrutiny has never been greater and yet he still manages to get most decisions right.
The thing about Madden, though, is that he doesn’t strike me as someone who takes himself too seriously.
Maybe the fact he’s beaten cancer has something to do with that.
Maybe he knows what’s important in life and that is why he seems more laid-back than his colleagues.
But it definitely makes him a better referee than any of the others. I don’t think he’d have made the mistake Beaton made on Wednesday.
I also think he would have stopped Gerrard in his tracks and injected some calm into that situation before it got out of control.

Decent contribution to the subject although nothing new but then that’s primarily because this is a long term shitfest .

hadn’t known bobbly madden had suffered cancer . Good luck to him .

Halliday was talking on RC last week or so & said Madden was his favourite because you could talk to him & he came & apologised to him that time he was wrongly red carded for headering Fyvie of Hibs at Ibrox.

Halliday was talking on RC last week or so & said Madden was his favourite because you could talk to him & he came & apologised to him that time he was wrongly red carded for headering Fyvie of Hibs at Ibrox.
Would it surprise you to learn that Beaton is head of media relations for a certain transport company. One with a particularly bad reputation!

The situation with Gerrard was never out of control.
Gerrard was always in control and although he had taken a step too far in his anxiousness to speak to Beaton, he was always within the limits of self-control.

Beaton could have diffused it completely by a bit of human interplay.

What would help is if we could hear the conversations between the officials, because the Beaton had his card out right away, he made his mind up, did the linesman do that for him? Because out of all the officials he had the best view.

Would it surprise you to learn that Beaton is head of media relations for a certain transport company. One with a particularly bad reputation!

That’s hard to believe Leo, given the attitude he showed the other night.

It was funny. About 2/3 years ago he reffed them up at Perth, and he yellow ceded one of them for abuse. He continued to give him verbals & Beaton then looked at Brown, shrugged his shoulders & then sent the guy off. Forget who it was. But he showed total leniency with him, being my point.

Compare that to Wednesday mate.

What would help is if we could hear the conversations between the officials, because the Beaton had his card out right away, he made his mind up, did the linesman do that for him? Because out of all the officials he had the best view.

Beaton consulted the linesman to confirm a dive, which makes the yellow card for Alfie all the more appalling and outrageous. It was clear cheating by the officials.

It was funny. About 2/3 years ago he reffed them up at Perth, and he yellow ceded one of them for abuse. He continued to give him verbals & Beaton then looked at Brown, shrugged his shoulders & then sent the guy off. Forget who it was. But he showed total leniency with him, being my point.

As David Edgar has said on H&H, he makes decisions based on what he thinks certain elements want him to give. This makes sense considering his full time job - too worried about the perception as opposed to making decisions based on what he actually sees.

I discovered Madden's instagram recently and he actually seems like a decent guy. I think we do need to remember refs are human at times. Apart from Clancy, 19th Century Terrorist bastard.

Beaton was inexcusable the other night though, and if the SFA were proactive in demoting refs after horrendous shifts then maybe there wouldn't be so much trouble around these incidents when they do happen.

As David Edgar has said on H&H, he makes decisions based on what he thinks certain elements want him to give. This makes sense considering his full time job - too worried about the perception as opposed to making decisions based on what he actually sees.

Sounds like a perfect summary of him Leo.

I’ve had it with the guy. Too many times it’s happened now.

Those Hibs 3.2 & Kilmarnock Rugby Park matches ? Too many decisions going the one way for just a shite ref.

I discovered Madden's instagram recently and he actually seems like a decent guy. I think we do need to remember refs are human at times. Apart from Clancy, 19th Century Terrorist bastard.

Beaton was inexcusable the other night though, and if the SFA were proactive in demoting refs after horrendous shifts then maybe there wouldn't be so much trouble around these incidents when they do happen.

Totally with you NU.

Im not too bad with Madden. He even refereed the scum beating us 4.0 and I still thought he wasn’t bad, which is amazing for an OF match.

"... and I suspect he’ll wish he did things differently and kept his cool."

I'm not so sure SG would. He sits out one game at home to St. Mirren yet has made the issue a big talking point while defending Alfie.

Steven Gerrard has played a blinder this week.

In addition to your point, the guy he protected ran them riot in the second half & gut us the winning goal BB.

My worst memory of Beaton was vs Hibs at Ibrox during Pedros reign think the one with mcgregor should have seen red, stokes should have seen red, morelos was getting fouled countless times and got booked himself for continuous fouling, mental

Confused by Boyds comments about it being a straight red for entering the field of play.

It was half time so the field of play is no longer active.

This one Grigo? Boyata 7 minutes into video.

Rangers have been very clever and relentless in their pursuit of Beaton this week. I’m not sure he will want to be exposed like that again.

Didn’t even have the baws to look at the gaffer - exactly the sort of presence we’ve been missing.
Not saying it’s right but you want the refs to shite it from the gaffer. Press, pundits, opposition managers - none of them can go head to head with Stevie and expect to win.

Remember Dougie McDonald getting the sack, it was the right decision and he tried to save the assistants skin but got stuck in.
That celtic supporting assistant that then threw McDonald under the bus AFTER he tried to help him.

Disgusting affair and once again somehow it all became a big conspiracy against them because they didn't get a penalty they didn't deserve and they were 'lied' to. When in reality the only thing done wrong was that the celtic supporting linesman decided not to call over the referee to say that the goalkeeper got a touch and that it wasn't a penalty. He was willing to allow the ref to award it even though he knew it was wrong, and in a cup final no less. So the 'lie' was to cover up the assistants corruption in celtics favour. But they were wronged!?!?!?

If that incident and fallout doesn't sum up how twisted they have made football in this country then I don't know what does.

Confused by Boyds comments about it being a straight red for entering the field of play.

It was half time so the field of play is no longer active.
Somebody said similar in Clyde and I thought the same. I presumed it would be a red for leaving the technical area and running on to confront him but not after the whistle.

I think theyre simply afraid to show Rangers any sort of decency as it would be jumped upon as favouritism by the Scottish Media Morons.

Beaton made a mistake, his colleagues doubled down but the thing that made my blood boil (and I think also Gerrard) was the grandstanding as he booked Morelos and the arrogance as he booked x 2 Gerrard.

Totally unnecessary, completely unprofessional and ******* bang out of order.

The problem isn’t the refs, human error happens, the issue is the media and the pressure the refs are put under. He made that decision to book Morelos because he knew if it was a dive he would get castrated by the media if he didn’t yellow card him and if it wasn’t not much would of been said. We need to professionalise the referees and for SFA to protect them against media bias.
The linesman had a clearer view, he was more to blame and should of informed him.

Everything this referee does is with his understanding of how the media will act, it doesn’t surprise me he did a yellow card first he wants as little publicity as possible and wouldn’t want a reason for his Morelos yellow card to be highlighted. Panicking brought out the second yellow when he realised the rules state it should be a straight red.
Would this ref be as bad if he didn’t live in a country with the media we have, I don’t think he would. The refs down south aren’t scrutinised in the manner ours is; removing the likes of Beaton won’t solve the issue.

Far too much focus on Beaton, he’s a dreadful ref we can all agree on that. I want more light shone on Connor, the linesman, he obviously saw it and said it was a card for Morelos. Our stats when he officiates from the line are unbelievable, literally. He needs called out and investigated. That’s the reason Gerrard called the all out imo.

I couldnt stand that Fyvie when we were playing Hibs and we are up against him soon when we play Cove Rangers.

Far too much focus on Beaton, he’s a dreadful ref we can all agree on that. I want more light shone on Connor, the linesman, he obviously saw it and said it was a card for Morelos. Our stats when he officiates from the line are unbelievable, literally. He needs called out and investigated. That’s the reason Gerrard called the all out imo.
Have you got a link or a copy and paste of those stats mate?

Have you got a link or a copy and paste of those stats mate?
They were all over social media and I’m sure I saw them on here. It was along the lines of we’ve only got a 37% win rate while he runs the line as opposed to 65% with any other linesman. When he runs the line for them they have an 80% plus win rate.
I also read he used to run a sellik supporters bus but that’s not confirmed.

If he came out and said what happened from his perspective, then it would massively help things.

Had Beaton come out after the game and said something like, “Having watched the Morelos incident again, I realise I got it wrong”, then most fair-minded folk would accept that.
It’s great that we’re finally using guys like Boyd to get the message out there and pressurise refs into making the correct calls. It’s what the Yahoos have been doing for years.

However, the two quotes above are hugely naive, IMO.

What clearly went through Beaton’s mind at the time he made the call was quite clearly, “That looks like it might be a penalty, but it’s that bastard Morelos so he probably took a dive.”

There’s no way he’s admitting that or accepting in retrospect he got it wrong because it would demand the need to compensate in future games and that simply doesn’t fit the agenda.

They were all over social media and I’m sure I saw them on here. It was along the lines of we’ve only got a 37% win rate while he runs the line as opposed to 65% with any other linesman. When he runs the line for them they have an 80% plus win rate.
I also read he used to run a sellik supporters bus but that’s not confirmed.
Since posting, I've had a quick look. In the league, he's been on the line (jeez, remember him?) 4 games this season:
Livi,
St Mirren away 30th December
Hibs away 20th September
St Johnstone home 12th August.

We've won 3 out of 4. The Hibs game was a shocker by the officials - was it him that didn't spot the offside for Doidge's goal and the foul on Helander during the equaliser?

This season, we've got a 75% win rate with him, but also a 0% loss rate.

Having said that, his name does seem familiar as being someone who gets mentioned a lot when we have valid goals disallowed, or decisions wrongly ruled against us.

Back