Because of our lack of squad depth I think we need to play 2nd team in the Scottish cup

We’re in the last 32 of European competition. Win this tie and we’re in the last 16 and then it’s anyone’s game, especially if we get a favourable draw.

Full force in all competitions.
I agree, I would play my strongest team in all competitions from now on in until the end of the season but if I was to pick one that we did drop players it would be the europa before the Scottish cup.

We get millions for each round we clear in Europe.
I’m not saying we should drop players for any competition but if I had a choice then it would be the europa because we are more likely to win a major competition for the first time in nearly a decade in the Scottish cup.

Our starting 11 are good enough to win the league and take us a deep European run. Their is a drop in standard with our cover. Considering how many games are on the calendar we need to have priorities. Playing our strongest side in a cup game against anyone other then Scum is not wise. 55 and European money are what matters most. We should use cup games to give squad players a chance.

I agree and SG also realises this - he has said he will rotate he squad depending on who he thinks is best suited for the upcoming game.

If he is happy with the current squad and isn't making noises about the need to strengthen the squad in this window then I'll go along with that.

We need to win silverware. Fighting on all fronts will be tough, but I think we will get the Scottish cup and the league.

Could see resting two or three at most for the cup, maybe give Foderingham a shot in goals, but that should be in. No wholesale changes like on Friday again.

No chance of putting the second team out on Hamilton's park, the strongest available.

That fuukin pitch is a shock waitin are happen.

We need to win something this season, and the most likely are either the cup and/or league.

We need all resources optimised to this, we can't afford to go into games undetstrength if it can be avoided.

When at full strength I think our first choice XI are capable of winning the League. However, as we saw the other night against Stranraer, when Rangers don't have all of their top guys on show, and things don't immediately go right, a certain lethargy starts to take over - Gerrard himself alluded to it.

Undoubtedly, the team is the best we've had for a long time, but I feel there is still a weakness in terms of mentality, an absence of the kind of the ruthlessness required to bury weaker teams, which could end up costing valuable points and quite possibly 55.

Shipping out the deadwood and bringing in some reinforcements would certainly help the cause, but Rangers really need to toughen up their mind-set.

We have to play the best 11 that will beat Hamilton, maybe rest a couple of players bu not wholesale changes, I want to win the cup as much as the league, Europe is a bonus for me.

Our starting 11 are good enough to win the league and take us a deep European run. Their is a drop in standard with our cover. Considering how many games are on the calendar we need to have priorities. Playing our strongest side in a cup game against anyone other then Scum is not wise. 55 and European money are what matters most. We should use cup games to give squad players a chance.
Depending on the opposition we cant get away with this in the cup

If we go all the way, there are 4 more matches in this competition. We can, and probably will, get away with resting 4 or so players in this round and the next, but for the semi and final, if we get there, it has to be our strongest team.

Given that a team with Andy Halliday, Joe Worrall, Lassana Coulibaly and Kyle Lafferty drew away to Villarreal last year, there's every possibility that if we go to Braga with a 2 goal lead, we rest a couple of players for the second leg, potentially playing the likes of Flanagan and Edmundson in a more defensive formation.

We can only start doing this once we're back winning trophies again. Winning the SC would be significant for us considering we haven't won a single thing since 2011.

We can only start doing this once we're back winning trophies again. Winning the SC would be significant for us considering we haven't won a single thing since 2011.
We are not that far away Grigo for having a squad full of quality rotation options. A few signings and I will truly believe we WILL win the league. I think Gerrard is wanting a couple of signings but is keeping his cards close to his chest
We need backup - there's no doubt. By backup I mean players that are more than a shirt-fillter (Barker) and more of a Defoe, although that's easier said than done.

In 2008 we had at least 2 replays.
That cost us dearly.
I dont think we will play 2nd team as comp progresses but we cannot afford to draw games and pile up even more fixtures.

Would rather win the league but the Scottish cup is important too. We still need to field a strong team.

We don’t have a lack of squad depth. If we did we’d be buying players this window instead of moving some on! The hysteria that comes on here sometimes for no apparent reason is something else! We have a squad that can cover players when they’re out and play with better players when asked. Friday was Stranraer after 3 weeks off and it was a kick about to rid the cobwebs for some!

Friday was a match for a lot of new players coming through. We need games like this to show these players what it feels like to play in big matches in front of a home crowd.

But

Can you imagine we go out in the next round by losing 3-0 to Hamilton due to not playing a strong team. It wouldn’t look great for the club and there would be a lot of pissed off people. We want silverware this year and we still have three opportunities to win it. The drought needs ended and it will lift such a weight off the shoulder of the club, team and fans if a trophy is to be won. Once a team has that feeling of winning a major trophy, it gives them that winning sense.

If we were to play a second team in any competition then it should be the europa league as we simply must win the Scottish cup this year if we don’t win the league.

this.

as gods as euro night are at Ibrox. Injury’s and fatigue Sunday games all catch up

We need to win trophies so I’d only be rotating a few players for this one. If we’d have gotten a more favourable draw we could have played a weakened side. The plastic pitch gives me the fear.

I don’t want us to play a 2nd team in any competition. However, resting 2 or 3 key players where possible is something we will need to do. Games like Hamilton in the cup and st mirren mid week shouldn’t require our strongest 11.

As season goes on , we will likely see 3 changes to a lineup each game as players rotate in and out to give some rest when they need it, and natural occurrence of niggles etc. The management team have shown they can do that from July to January just fine, and I have faith they can keep doing it until May

Friday was about a perfect balance of what to expect going forward. We physically can't rest much more of the midfield than we did. Only thing potentially happening is Stewart is in from the start next time, but I assume he's being kept for St Mirren or injured?

We’ve also got to take into account the increased value of our players should they get to EL QFs and the extra cash from every round could potentially get Gerrard a quality player in retaining the title in this hypothetical world where we are going for 56. I can understand why people would want the Cup& league though.

But your point is 100% valid. EL success is way above SC success financially, and in our current plight that can’t be ignored NDC.

We can't afford to rest numerous players as there is a real lack of quality out with the first 11 and first few places on the bench.

We've a hectic schedule so there will be changes. The next month's sees;

St. Mirren home
Hearts away
Ross County home
Aberdeen home
Hibs home
Hamilton away - cup
Kilmarnock away
Livingston home
Braga home
St. Johnstone away

I still think we should be looking to do a bit of business during this transfer window. We are still in three competitions and the league is in our own hands.

Is this the over reaction to a rusty performance on Friday? We don’t have a lack of squad depth, we have cover in every position, our consistency in the 1st half of the season was remarkable, and we used the full squad and coped with varying injuries and suspensions.

Can rest 1/2 v most teams but not sure Gerrard will see it that way. I would use Hamilton as a chance for some rotation. Could change up 4/5 and still beat that mob. But I just don’t think he’ll do it

Is this the over reaction to a rusty performance on Friday? We don’t have a lack of squad depth, we have cover in every position, our consistency in the 1st half of the season was remarkable, and we used the full squad and coped with varying injuries and suspensions.
It appears it is. Total hysteria, you’d think Stranraer actually gave us a game!

Certain games we can rest players but our goal must be to progress in every cup game regardless of the opposition

Happy to rotate the squad for cup games. Some of the guys on the bench need game time and might need to step up if injuries happen along the way

We can't afford to rest numerous players as there is a real lack of quality out with the first 11 and first few places on the bench.

We've a hectic schedule so there will be changes. The next month's sees;

St. Mirren home
Hearts away
Ross County home
Aberdeen home
Hibs home
Hamilton away - cup
Kilmarnock away
Livingston home
Braga home
St. Johnstone away

I still think we should be looking to do a bit of business during this transfer window. We are still in three competitions and the league is in our own hands.
Whilst that’s still a hectic schedule it’s still a kind one compared to end of last year. A few games in there you could rotate and still be ok I reckon

Back