Been to the cinema by yourself?

Captain Steve Rogers

I've never done it, bit the wife simply refuses to see I.T. and I really want to see it so I think I'll go by myself.

There's a first time for everything!

Anyone else go by themself?

Never done it before but have some spare time on Monday waiting on the car getting fixed so plan on going to see Dunkirk. At an age where I really couldn't give a shit but at a film like that it's acceptable.

I'm 57 and only been to the pictures 5 times in my life . Doesn't matter what's on I can't sit through a film.

I'll fess up that I'm Billy no mates.

I get an ADO(accrued day off) once a month and I normally go to the movies on my jack jones. I go in the morning where there is usually only a handful of people that go, and they're usually on their own too!

Ten years ago I would never have considered it but now at 33 and married with 2 kids I'd do just about anything for a couple of hours peace and quiet so I'd happily go myself.

Still wouldn't take a curry in mind you.

I'm 34 with 2 kids (3 and 9m) so I feel your pain!

A few times. Not a big deal. Most times in middle of day when cinemas are dead. Folk going in their own is not uncommon

I will be seeing the new Blade Runner film on my own as the missus does not want to go. Never been on my own before.

Been myself when in the same situation as you, for some unexplained reason missus didn't fancy seeing The Dark Knight at an IMAX so I went on my own.

Nothing wrong with it IMHO.

Used to think it was quite weird but did it once on a midweek late morning show and quite enjoyed it. Never done it again but would happily do so as the mrs likes Rom-Coms. I like weird and bleak shit.

Ten years ago I would never have considered it but now at 33 and married with 2 kids I'd do just about anything for a couple of hours peace and quiet so I'd happily go myself.

Still wouldn't take a curry in mind you.

Never a truer word said

Also my Mrs refuses to watch anything with subtitles & most of the films I watch now are Foreign language.

Still haven't done it but 100% would.

I done it a couple of weeks ago for Dunkirk, mid day. As mentioned above during the day is the best time.

Not something I've done. I guess if there's a film I'd really want to see and no one else did then I probably would.

I rarely go to the cinema with anyone,I'm a massive film fan so I love to chill out and pay full attention to whatever film I'm seeing without interruptions

Got to say I always find it a bit weird when I see someone sitting on their own.

Thinking about it now there's obviously a million reasons why they might be there alone, but I don't think I'd do it myself.

I've done it a few times. Would happily do it again too.

Don't see why anyone would feel uncomfortable doing it.

Best thing I ever did was to learn not both whether people are giving a %^*& about you

Last edited:
I've been on my own before. Was training for a sports event and couldn't drink or eat out and all my friends were out or busy that weekend. Decided late at night that I was going to go and see a film. Bought my tickets from the ticket machine so I would have to ask for ONE ticket.

Was a decent enough experience on your own apart from the obvious feelings of judgement from others in the hall that probably couldn't even see me!

Yeah loads of times, my partner was living in England for 3 years, so while she was there I would go to the cinema a lot. I also went a lot when I was living in the States.

I quite like my own company anyway, so no problem for me.

I'm also happy to go have a meal on my own in a resturant, tough Strangely enough, I've never gone for a pint on my own.

Of course.

You're sitting in the dark for a couple of hours not talking to anybody. Why wouldn't you go on your own?

Go on your own or don't see the film - seems an easy choice to me.

When I worked in the town and had a Cineworld Unlimited card I went all the time on my own during the day. Enjoyed the peace and quiet of an empty cinema. Don't know if I'd do it on a Saturday night though ; not because I'd be self conscious but because of all the chatterers and phone users and seat kickers and food rustlers...

Yep a few times...due to shift work etc and tbh its much better midweek without screaming weans....and i dont mean that in a Savvily way! :D

Went myself one Wednesday morning to the Odeon in Ayr to see the David Brent film.

Only person in the whole cinema. Perfect.

All the time.

Horror films & comedies benefit from a filled room but there's no good film that's ever been better because someone wants to talk through it.

Not really into the cinema at all and I've only ever been with a girlfriend / wife or my kids. Cant imagine going myself, or even worse with a group of mates

Yeah, don't see the issue it's not as if you can sit and talk to the person your with when the films on.

It's a good time to just relax as well.

Did it years ago.
Can’t remember the film, but as I was para I went to a showing about 10am
I had the biggest screen in Cineworld to myself, it was magic.

Didn’t need to suppress farts or anything. Could just let rip and there was noone to care.

I have done it once and would have no problems doing it again.

Whats weird about it?

No different to going to a football match alone, which i expect most of us have at one time or another.

Been a couple of times, like others have said midweek, during the day it's quiet no Kant rustling packets on playing in their phones.
What's not to like.

Used to do it all the time when I was at uni, my mates were on different courses so 2 or 3 times a week I'd have 2/3 hrs to kill.

Once, years ago, to see the Phantom menance, Don't see any issue going on your own anyway, you hardly need company to watch a film in the cinema.

It wouldn't bother me going on my own but as I get my kids unlimited tickets from Cineworld and I can use the cinema carers pass which gets me in free I haven't had the need to as I can always drag one of them along. I go to the cinema every week and there are a good few folk who go on their own although it does tend to be the earlier showings

Got an unlimited card and and will often go on my own . Hell or high water best movie I have seen on my own in recent years .

Twice. Mrs was working in Aberdeen and I went up and stayed. Was bored shitless while she was at work one day. It did feel uncomfortable but obviously not bad enough to stop me going again the following day. Jurassic World and Southpaw.

I do it all the time, loads of folk do.

Dunno why folk think it's weird, it's not like you are going to chat.

I've done it a few times. Would happily do it again too.

Don't see why anyone would feel the uncomfortable doing it.

Best think I ever did was to not both whether people are giving a %^*& about you

Agree 100% with this.

What exactly is the problem?

See folk on their own all the time at the cinema.
Sometimes it's old folk..sometimes it's students.

I'm lucky enough I can go during the day when it's quieter and I see more females on their own now than men.

Back