Belgian league stopped - Club Brugge declared Champions

KensingtonBlue

Controversial but could set a precedent across Europe now.

It’s been suggested that this has been driven by the idea that UEFA won’t award European places to countries declaring seasons void.

They were 15 points clear.
No relegation and two teams promoted.

The rhats are 13 albeit we have a game in hand...How many points could have been won against them?

Put it this way, no way Real Madrid will allow this with Barca. It will be down to the leagues

I'm just looking at their league table, it looks like they were 15 points clear with 1 game left of their regular season before the play-offs. Not really sure this can be compared to leagues with a more traditional format.

This was my thinking as a solution for us. Top 4 teams have a play off 1st v 4th 2nd v 3rd then a final. Same could go for bottom 4 teams to decide relegation or a mini league all 4 teams play each other once over a 2 week period

If Club Brugge (1st) and Gent (2nd) were to win their last game before the playoffs and go into the play off league (6 teams) were they play 10 matches including everyone home and away, their lead would have been 7/8 points with 8 matches left as points totals are halfed and rounded up.

I can therefore see similar being done here as Gent were mathematically far more likely to win the league than us from this point,.

Last edited:
That’ll be the loophole for the spfl to award the filth the title.

Reckon they'll award the title to the filth. Won't relegate anybody and promote dundee utd and someone else to make it a 14 team league. How they decide between ICT, Dundee and ayr I'm not sure. maybe dundee as they currently stand second. Maybe some sort of behind closed door play off but I doubt it.

There’s no doubt we will follow suit and to be honest I’m coming round to the idea , simply because it completely fcks their 9 or 10 or however many they end up with . They know and the world knows that the asterisk is bigger than the trophy in the 2020 season . Were it to be voided if they won the next two they could still claim 10 consecutive proper titles - by being “ given “ one now they cannot . I still think it’s farcical to hand out titles and yet not have relegation , it’s so ridiculous and that’s why I don’t think we should be too bothered either way . Their quadruple treble is fcked and so is their “ ten “ no matter what .

Reckon they'll award the title to the filth. Won't relegate anybody and promote dundee utd and someone else to make it a 14 team league. How they decide between ICT, Dundee and ayr I'm not sure. maybe dundee as they currently stand second. Maybe some sort of behind closed door play off but I doubt it.
They will 100% get awarded the title. And they will feel no shame over it

I'm just looking at their league table, it looks like they were 15 points clear with 1 game left of their regular season before the play-offs. Not really sure this can be compared to leagues with a more traditional format.
Correct

Its actually the same as ours only worse.

The champions lead is halfed once the play-off stage begins.

Realistically you are looking at them being 8 points clear with 10 games left to play, including every contender, home and away.

There’s no doubt we will follow suit and to be honest I’m coming round to the idea , simply because it completely fcks their 9 or 10 or however many they end up with . They know and the world knows that the asterisk is bigger than the trophy in the 2020 season . Were it to be voided if they won the next two they could still claim 10 consecutive proper titles - by being “ given “ one now they cannot . I still think it’s farcical to hand out titles and yet not have relegation , it’s so ridiculous and that’s why I don’t think we should be too bothered either way . Their quadruple treble is fcked and so is their “ ten “ no matter what .
This is our "fall back" position - huge asterisk against this season and cannot be counted as part of a nine /ten in a row.
Anyway who cares the first four are already asterisked (?)!

It's a proposal at this moment in time. Other stuff like relegation, promotion, the cup final,... have to be debated first.

Scottish central defender Luke Campbell is cursing his luck, with his Jersey Bulls side being told their season is null and void after winning all 27 games, with 99 goals scored and just seven conceded.

This was my thinking as a solution for us. Top 4 teams have a play off 1st v 4th 2nd v 3rd then a final. Same could go for bottom 4 teams to decide relegation or a mini league all 4 teams play each other once over a 2 week period
I think something along these lines is the fairest way forward and the Club should be promoting it.

Its actually the same as ours only worse.

The champions lead is halfed once the play-off stage begins.

Realistically you are looking at them being 8 points clear with 10 games left to play, including every contender, home and away.

This is correct. Closer than us and with the same two opportunities for the team in second to play the club at the top. This isn't a great precedent for us and gives the SPFL the example they were looking for to justify their decision.

Im actually getting to the stage where i dont give a f*** what they do anymore ,just finish the season so we can start planning for some kind of start next season however i do think all those teams who are still in europe this season should be allowed into CL groups or europa groups next season

No football is being played. Wont/can't happen

Bollocks to that. I'm not coming around to it at all. Null and void

They will say the Tims cannot be caught before the split, so give them the title. Abandon relegation and promote teams in the play off places. That complies with Peter's wishes and prevents any legal challenges.

Very bad news and you can guarantee the SPFL not that they needed any encouragement will be all over this.

I fully expect they will be handed the title, and we’ll go to 14 teams for a year at least.

Rangers will release a statement but ultimately do nothing, and we’ll all just go on as if nothing happened.

I’m just surprised some still think Rangers are really going to take this all the way.

Believe me that's what's happening here. Although not the same, it's a similar idea with a split.

The fact that they can give a club a cl place with only 1 point in it, tells you all you need to know.

Nevertheless, I refuse to recognise Club Brugge's tainted title. Hopefully everyone else will see sense and do the same.

Totally unfair on their competitors and on the teams close to CL qualification in that league.

Back