Ben Davies

I think he’s a very average CB with not so great an upside. Why we spent £3-4m on him I really don’t know.

Not picking on you because there’s lots of daft comments to choose, but why oh why do people jump in with 2 feet so early in players Rangers careers?

Allow players to breathe ffs, Davies was always going to make people look silly once he settled.

He's playing like the player we hoped we'd signed
It’s always about game time and fitness and if that stays then we are fine.

Remember the players who didn’t start tonight

Hagi, Lawrence, Helander, Roofe, Soutar oh and Raskin

That’s a strong bunch coming back at points ( possibly not Fill ) but then Cantwell and Colak on the bench.

All of a sudden we look strong - strange

The timing to sack Gio was two or three months too late. We would be in with a shout of this league if that decision had been taken earlier.
And I don’t think that’s hindsight.
A. You don’t sack a manager who lead you to a kick from a European trophy.

B. The injuries excused or not where always a factor

C. Money and was Beale ready to take a gamble on

You don’t make these choices after 3 or 4 games

The only time I would say that Gio’s time was up was the disaster at the chamber of secrets and the fear he put into the players himself

Not picking on you because there’s lots of daft comments to choose, but why oh why do people jump in with 2 feet so early in players Rangers careers?

Allow players to breathe ffs, Davies was always going to make people look silly once he settled.
He had a good game tonight.

Him and back four tonight were excellent.

Great base to build from.

Its obviously the more physical style striker davies will have issues with but a very capable defender.

Keep it up.

Davies is now settled, working with Goldson and Barasic, understands their games and weaknesses and how the manager wants him to play.

That all takes time coupled with his injuries no wonder it has taken until now. A tidy left footed centre back that is very good on the ball.

Hopefully him and Goldson for a good few seasons.

The only time I would say that Gio’s time was up was the disaster at the chamber of secrets and the fear he put into the players himself
The first or second one? Should have been sacked a long time before he was, guy was so far out of his depth.

It’s early doors with Beale still and while we haven’t been playing like we did tonight every week, I think you can see that certain players had their wings clipped under Gio that are now showing how good they can be.

I’m not his biggest fan but would say we look better with him and Goldson together. He’s clearly settling into the team now and if he keeps it going I’ve no doubt he will win me over.
It will be interesting to see what he is like fit and up against better strikers.
I am not totally convinced until then.

When I read the criticism of Davies I wonder if people are talking about the same player or what I am missing
To me he looks like a class player intercepting and snuffing out danger before it happens
Not every centre half has to be a Colin Hendry siege defender type
Agree though he has stiffer tests to come but for now I would say he's looking very good but judgment is reserved

It will be interesting to see what he is like fit and up against better strikers.
I am not totally convinced until then.
Who are you thinking of though?
He’s faced the best in the country now and not been bettered yet.
There will still be an aberration somewhere but, over the piece, he’s been better than decent.
It might be too late for this season but, I’d trust him going forward.
Okay, I accept I’m looking at this solely in a domestic context.
Europe is another level again.
However, that comparison, that whole discussion, needs kicked down the line a bit.

He's a calm and intelligent defender, he might lack a bit of pace, but he uses his brain to position himself well and shut out the dager, just like Davie Weir did.

Like Tillman, it seems that some people only think a player is decent if they are running about daft and flying into tackles for 90mins.

Some of the posts about him on this thread are wild.

Very good positional sense and great on the ball.

If he ran about trying to header anything that moved, he'd have a dedicated fan club.
It’s a bit like Tillman earlier on.

‘He doesn’t try hard enough’ when actually, the stats show that he’s been our best player for pressuring the opposition since day one.

Now it’s ‘Davies isn’t great in the air’ when again, the stats show that he’s now worse than anyone else.

More than just tonight, I’d say.
I’d say he’s had as many good games than poor games for us. I’ve never written the player off, I still don’t believe he’s a £4m defender for our level.

The most important thing is that we have a settled back four which is going to amplify good performances due to the nonsense we had to watch October-December.

I’d say he’s had as many good games than poor games for us. I’ve never written the player off, I still don’t believe he’s a £4m defender for our level.

The most important thing is that we have a settled back four which is going to amplify good performances due to the nonsense we had to watch October-December.

Which poor games?

Who are you thinking of though?
He’s faced the best in the country now and not been bettered yet.
There will still be an aberration somewhere but, over the piece, he’s been better than decent.
It might be too late for this season but, I’d trust him going forward.
Okay, I accept I’m looking at this solely in a domestic context.
Europe is another level again.
However, that comparison, that whole discussion, needs kicked down the line a bit.
I am thinking of Europe, sometimes we get carried away if a player has a few good games which imo has been there since SG arrived.
We need consistency as i want to get back to winning titles/ cups constantly.
Last night we could have won 8-0 , had it not been for finishing and off sides .
I think MB is night and day from GVB, they all look so much happier.

I've been unsure about Davies since he first came in, but he was excellent last night and the defence is building a nice little run now. Long may it continue.

Killie and Aberdeen
Are you expecting the perfect centre half at Rangers? It’s never going to happen, every centre half in this league will make mistakes as it’s the level we are at.

Baffling to put Aberdeen mistake at his door, Borna was absolutely horrific and threw him under a bus.

The timing to sack Gio was two or three months too late. We would be in with a shout of this league if that decision had been taken earlier.
He has just taken us to a European final and we won our first cup in what feels like forever. No way would any board would have only given him a couple of months into a new season, and that’s not even allowing for the horrendous injury situation.

I wasn’t convinced Beale was the way to go but he is turning things around and getting the team playing well again. Hopefully Cantwell and Raskin coming in now means we are on it from the start of next season.
Meantime we have two cups to win and let’s see if we can keep the league form up and give the beggars a run for their money!

Hindsight doesn’t need to be applied to know that a club that reached a European final in May isn’t going to pull the trigger that early in the season on the manager that got them there.
Complete revisionism to suggest otherwise.

He has just taken us to a European final and we won our first cup in what feels like forever. No way would any board would have only given him a couple of months into a new season, and that’s not even allowing for the horrendous injury situation.

I wasn’t convinced Beale was the way to go but he is turning things around and getting the team playing well again. Hopefully Cantwell and Raskin coming in now means we are on it from the start of next season.
Meantime we have two cups to win and let’s see if we can keep the league form up and give the beggars a run for their money!
Agree with you re Gio and posted similar however I was one of those that wanted Beale appointed after Gerrard left.
A great coach and communicator and the early signs are positive. Where he hasn’t got experience is in the transfer market but I’m confident he’ll get the summer window right assuming he is backed- which I think he will be.

Since he's got a run in the team, stayed fit and got an understanding with Goldson, we've looked much better. Davies has hardly put a foot wrong since Beale came in

Hindsight doesn’t need to be applied to know that a club that reached a European final in May isn’t going to pull the trigger that early in the season on the manager that got them there.
Complete revisionism to suggest otherwise.
He should’ve been sacked earlier than he was. The club waited too long to pull the trigger and it looks like they’ve cost us a title race. Everyone saw it and almost everyone was shouting for his sacking. The St Johnstone defeat and the St Mirren draw should never have been allowed to happen.

Have a day off mate. Some people just suck the positivity out of this place. Davies has been excellent beside Goldson last couple of games. If both stay fit I have no worries about our defence going forward.
Its not a derogatory comment, we have not seen him up against quality opposition.

I've seen this lad take some pelters which I don't quite understand. I think he and Goldson are forming a pretty solid partnership and both very comfortable in possession too.
They are working well together, you see each of them come across to the others side to cover each other.

You often dont notice Davies, then he pops up and clears or intercepts.

Amazing to see the difference two good CHs playing.

D. He had very little imagination.

Back