Ben Woodburn

Hank Hill

Back page of mail
#
DgaXCXfWsAAQGoK.jpg

I would rather Woodburn over the Roma boy. A young Nigerian on loan doesn't fill me with confidence.

Wilson won't be coming if we are looking at Woodburn

I don't think that either of them are knocking Salah, Firmino and Mane out of the team any time soon, but they will eventually replace them. I also think that one of the main things that we're getting with Gerrard coming in is guys like that wanting to follow him here and Liverpool being on board with the idea.

How much would players like this cost to buy? Wilson and woodburn.

Are they 10M+?

can you buy young talent like this a bit cheaper from a 'friendly' selling club with a buy back clause or similar?

Do you think Nigerians pay the same attention to the Scottish game as British players do??
That makes even less sense than your previous post.
I doubt anyone actually cares how much a Nigerian footballer knows about the Scottish league.

I'd rather we signed players based on ability rather than nationality.

Derek McInnes will know a great deal more than Steven Gerrard about Scottish football. Who do you want as your manager?

That makes even less sense than your previous post.
I doubt anyone actually cares how much a Nigerian footballer knows about the Scottish league.

I'd rather we signed players based on ability rather than nationality.

Derek McInnes will know a great deal more than Steven Gerrard about Scottish football. Who do you want as your manager?
Behave. There's is more chance of a British player knowing the expectations of our club. The traditions of our club. The style of our game and our league than someone from
Nigeria. If your looking for an argument your at the wrong place.

Are they 10M+?

can you buy young talent like this a bit cheaper from a 'friendly' selling club with a buy back clause or similar?
Probably £10+ easy but that's if Liverpool would sell. I don't think they would.

Behave. There's is more chance of a British player knowing the expectations of our club. The traditions of our club. The style of our game and our league than someone from

Totally agree and this debate is not a xenophobic one, it's a footballing one.
Add to that list the language barrier and cultural differences and it can take a lot longer for non-European players to settle.
I would say players from Africa and South America are inherently a bigger gamble because of these factors.

Add to that list the language barrier and cultural differences and it can take a lot longer for non-European players to settle.
I would say players from Africa and South America are inherently a bigger gamble because of these factors.

Whilst I understand and agree to a certain extent with your point. If the player has the correct attitude and ability to adapt to his new surroundings they can be a success. I'd say Sadiq has already done that by moving from Nigeria to Italy and then again to Holland at such a young age suggests homesickness isn't such a big issue. Nor was it for Morelos. It normally becomes a problem for older guy's from further away to settle.

Infact I can see no evidence Woodburn would be less of a gamble than Woodburn.

The official and most commonly spoken language in Nigeria is English

Behave?

You've given a list of why you'd sign a British player over a Nigerian without even taking into account actual footballing ability.

We should be looking to sign the best players we can, not those who have heard more about Rangers.

Woodburn is a great talent for his age but i just don't see Liverpool letting him go until near deadline day and if they do i could easily see a club like Fulham or Newcastle wanting him as well. If they dont bring in at least 2 wingers he could easily want to stay and try to force himself as an option at Liverpool. 18 years old with 7 Welsh caps is no joke i would be pretty excited if we could bring him in

What I've seen of the young lad (which admittedly isn’t too much) he would be a terrific addition to the squad and would be pushing for a start. If we are guaranteeing Liverpool game time then they may allow him to come North rather than going on loan to a lower level EPL club. I imagine they’ll have plenty of interest in him.

Are they 10M+?

Woodburn would probably be worthy a few times that, he is very highly rated. Whether he can play consistently well for us at such a young age in a league where they will try and injur him is the big question

I was talking in general terms about non-European players.
The official language in many African countries is English
Certainly many more than European countries which tend to have their own language
In terms of attitude it would be worth you reading the Lukaku blog before making such sweeping generalisations
Plenty Africans have succeded in Europe showing great attitudes

The official language in many African countries is English
Certainly many more than European countries which tend to have their own language
In terms of attitude it would be worth you reading the Lukaku blog before making such sweeping generalisations
Plenty Africans have succeded in Europe showing great attitudes

What does the Lukaku blog have to do with anything? He was born and bred and in Belgium.

He'd be a great addition to the squad. The only thing about this is if he's available on loan for a season then he won't be short of offers from other EPL clubs.

What does the Lukaku blog have to do with anything? He was born and bred and in Belgium.
I think it would be reasonable to class him as ethnically African irrespective of his place of birth in the same way Richard Gough might be considered Scottish
However guys like Drogba, Weah and the Toure's also stand as examples of Africans with great attitudes
To stereotype a whole continent as having bad attitudes is dumb

Anyone know what position Woodburn plays? Heard different things about what type of player he is from a few people. I remember him scoring that peach of a goal for Wales, but don't know much else about the lad.

As much as I can appreciate the lad is a top prospect he’s only 18.

Not looking for a debate on this as my opinion is yes the loan market should be used but only to improve the first team.

It’s highly unlikely this lad will start every week which makes me think we’d be as well using the likes of Atakayi or Middleton or another of our promising prospects for the limited game time he will see.

I think it would be reasonable to class him as ethnically African irrespective of his place of birth in the same way Richard Gough might be considered Scottish
However guys like Drogba, Weah and the Toure's also stand as examples of Africans with great attitudes
To stereotype a whole continent as having bad attitudes is dumb

I agree with your point about stereotyping a whole continent as having bad attitudes is dumb.

However Lukaku makes it very clear in his blog that he is Belgian and actually refers to how people refer to him as Congolese when he performed poorly and Belgian when he did well.

I saw Woodburn a couple of times last season and he was dire. Has really stagnated so don't expect too much too soon.
When did you see him play last season, he only made 2 appearances for Liverpool, once in the League, the other in the League cup, he's very highly rated by Liverpool, he's made 11 appearances in total for the first team, mainly as a sub and is being handled correctly by Liverpool in his progression, a lot of good judges in the game regard him as a future top player for club and country and to state that he has stagnated is a nonsense. If we can get him for a season on loan it will be a great bit of business for both clubs.

If Ben Woodburn can keep his head screwed on he will be a star. He was fantastic in his debut for Wales and oozes confidence.

I would be delighted to get him on loan.

Back