Benburb juniors contact info

ionasdad

Anyone got any contact details for benburb. Ideally someone with historical info of club going back to 1930' s please.

Anyone got any contact details for benburb. Ideally someone with historical info of club going back to 1930' s please.
Benburb withdrew from the league this year for some reason, heard they were having financial difficulties. Used to be pretty much all bears that supported them hence the rivalries with St Roch's and St Anthony's. Junior football has changed a lot though. Definitely a lot less good guys about these days

Hopefully they will be back next season. Long history with us and the chookie hens.
As stated by earlier poster 'Pride of Govan'.

Benburb withdrew from the league this year for some reason, heard they were having financial difficulties. Used to be pretty much all bears that supported them hence the rivalries with St Roch's and St Anthony's. Junior football has changed a lot though. Definitely a lot less good guys about these days
The rivalry with St Rochs was Petershill and Perthshire not the Bens

In the 80s and being a Ruggy boy, aged about 12, I used to go to Southcroft when Rangers were away from home and see the Glen's. One day they are playing Benburb and me and two guys I was with (wouldnt call them mates, stayed in the same street as me, they both later became junkies and now deid) were giving the Bens goalie grief screaming, "Glencairn Saturday Service" at him and generally making an arse of ourselves when at a quiet time in the game he called me over (im wearing a rangers cagoule) and said, "wee man, we're the proddy team and play just along from Ibrox". Upon hearing that, I calmed the other two doon and I think that goalie then went on to have the game of his life.

Stool Cory Bro.

Last edited:
Was taken to the Bens round about the same time. Remember the Junior cup final at Hampden as one of my best days out (we got beat but was still great day out)
i went to a good few games home and away during the season the bens won the league about 2000 i think,they also beat shettletston in the league cup final at polloks ground and were beat by whitburn in the junior cup semi final on pens at airdrie

nearly the treble,a few of the players went to the first division that year and done well

they used to be a decent team at that level but not so much these days

Is it the same reason a few other teams withdrew this season? I know Cambuslang Rangers said they wouldn't be playing because there's basically nothing to play for - no promotion or relegation and no chance of getting people through the turnstiles. I'm sure Pollok and Talbot were the same.

Is it the same reason a few other teams withdrew this season? I know Cambuslang Rangers said they wouldn't be playing because there's basically nothing to play for - no promotion or relegation and no chance of getting people through the turnstiles. I'm sure Pollok and Talbot were the same.
Yeah Pollok and Talbot did withdraw along with plenty others. Not to correct you btw but there is actually promotion from the Premiership this year though (if the season is finished). It's a play off against the East of Scotland champions for a place in the Lowland League. Some people are saying Talbot withdrew because they don't fancy promotion this year playing against the likes of Dalbeattie Star in the Lowland League and they will wait until a few more ex juniors are promoted before going themselves.

How often did they play each other because St Rochs were hardly ever in the top league in the 60's and 70's and early 80s when teams got crowds.
Sorry mate was talking more recently when they've been in the same league together. They've played a good few times in the last 5 years or so.

Sorry mate was talking more recently when they've been in the same league together. They've played a good few times in the last 5 years or so.
Sorry I was talking when they got good crowds. The only really Prod teams were the Peasy Renfrew Benburb and most of the Ayrshire teams imo

A late relative of mine played for them in the 30's. I've still got, in the house somewhere, old newspaper clippings and team photos etc. May even have old medals, I think they won the Scottish cup then.

I managed to play an amateur game in Tinto Park, about 20 year ago, in the clubhouse I noticed the team photo I had was on the wall. Got talking to an old guy who looked after the dressing rooms, and it turned out he was standing next to my relative in the photo from the 30's.

Benburb started the season, but withdrew on the basis that their squad was hopeless and they had a very poor start to the season / pre season. They then toyed with the idea of playing their Under 20's Squad, but decided against it

Bens were in a terrible state a few years back. However, some dedicated blokes worked hard and were encouraged by Bens bein promoted 3 seasons in a row and included in the top division with the likes of Auchinleck and Pollok. Don’t know what but something went wrong as they withdrew from the league. While the Bens people were at one time identified as coming from a Rangers background, not sure that is still the case.

Sorry I was talking when they got good crowds. The only really Prod teams were the Peasy Renfrew Benburb and most of the Ayrshire teams imo
They used to all be prods, just some more than others. Now it's the opposite full of mentally challengeds, tims and their bootlickers.

Back