Benfica collapse last 6 games.

Grei9

Me and my dad had the same conversation the other night watching helicopter sunday. Yeah its unlikely we would have won it, but you can't just give it up, especially when there was a potential 9 points to gain from a game in hand/2 games v them.
My dad and I have spoke of this as well, when you listen to the likes of Gough and the 9iar team they talk about not even enjoying winning 9 it was more a feeling of relief due to the pressure surrounding it. Pressure can do funny things to people. They also knew that head to head we had the beating of them. I think 8.5 will eat away at them inside (the more resonable ones)

MCMLXXXI

Keep a close eye on Benfica, they have been dire since the league resumed. The 3-4 defeat the other night was horrific to watch & the results last night are the final nail in the coffin.

The coach is a dead man walking.

Theportyunionjack

There was a chance, that’s why it’s such an injustices that said it was a tiny chance, but still a chance. I’d have fancied us to fall even further behind though because we were rotten
Funny you say that. I remeber posting a thread saying that the league was not over and getting a solid four pages of abuse. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you said I must have been on drugs?

Big D

It was in our hands to get the gap down to 4 points, with another 24 to play for. We overturned a 4 point gap with only 12 points to play for in 2005. The likelihood was that we wouldn't win the league, but the likelihood was also that we wouldn't beat Braga when we were 2-0 down with 24 minutes to go. To hand them the title with around 25% of the season remaining was a disgrace.

Bear all

Their results before lock down where pretty miserable as well,if only they had the Officials giving them a helping hand things could have been so different.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Funny you say that. I remeber posting a thread saying that the league was not over and getting a solid four pages of abuse. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you said I must have been on drugs?
I’m pretty sure that’s because you seemed to think there was a good chance we were actually going to pull it back as opposed to a small glimmer of hope.

The_Irrepressibles

Find it bizarre people on here saying that they couldn't see us closing the gap, based apparently on the form of the teams before the shutdown.

No-one knows how each team would have reacted and performed had we restarted after a long break and finished the league. Literally anything could have happened and anyone saying otherwise is taking a very narrow view of the reality of the situation imo. This is exactly why Lawwell did what he does best, by identifying potetial problems early and embarking on his usual crisis management technique of getting out in front of them early, controlling the narrative and shutting down any avenue deemed hazardous to them. Ie null and void off the table and shoehorning the rest of us down the path of ending the league asap instead of waiting to see if it could be fnished on the pitch.

If Lawwell was scared of restarting the league, and he clearly was, then even he knew he couldn't assume anything. So why do some folk on here think anything was a formality? It certainly wasn't. All bets were off.