Benfica fans forum reaction to the game tonight

I think from memory they're one of the best supported clubs in the world as well due to the Portuguese influence in Brazil and most of them having a soft spot for a Portuguese side in Europe.
Tonight’s match programme, the majority of the squad are Brazilian

And we think some bears on FF are harsh, their version is a right boot in the baws for any of their players looking in. Multi-million, international pick players, a really, really good team yet savaged by their fans.

Yes, I know this is late, but better late than never :D

"Let us remember that this Rangers half a dozen years ago went bankrupt and went to beat the 5th division of Scotland with the horns."

In reply to the one above: "Which makes it very ridiculous to worship a president who has been building Benfica for 20 years."

"Rangers have a good team and a great coach but Benfica have an obligation to win."

"If we win I'm very surprised."

"Rangers are the Europa League Round of 16 team, no more. In economic terms, the difference between Benfica and Rangers is as big or bigger than that of a Real Madrid for us (300M of revenue vs. 50M of revenue in 2019). Would Real Madrid or Barcelona in the 21st century ever see Benfica as a 50-50 game? No. Impossible.

Today we play with Rangers, and if we lose, nobody is surprised. "Rangers are a good team". They have not won a Scottish championship in 10 years and went bankrupt in the middle, but they come and go to scare the Benfica Benfica from Structure. It's sad"

"A few years ago, beating Rangers by less than 3 was a defeat, we advanced to 2020, and we are afraid of being scratched by that same Rangers."

"Nothing confident for today, I don't think we won."

" would say that it ends in a tie or 2-1 for Rangers. Don't trust this benfica"

"Rangers play with another soul and have much more collective quality than Benfica. If we go there with the typical 4x4x2 with Pizzi in the middle, I almost bet we didn't win the game. We have to win the midfield if we want something from Glasgow."

"I was here watching the highlights of the Champions League and it made me laugh. The following colossi are playing in the group stage:

FC Krasnodar
Rennes
Brugge
Ferencvaros
Instanbul Basaksehir
Salzburg
FC Midtjylland

While FC Vieira falls into the hands of a PAOK who did not even pass the next stage against Krasnodar. I'm ashamed of the misery that Benfica fell into. A shame without limits."

"I think we're going to be shipwrecked, on top of that with so many absences.
Surprise me."

"In our current reality, Rangers have become a colossus."

"Then we have to win at home Lech Poznan to guarantee qualification."

"In the light I predicted 1-4 for Rangers. The post shot when Rangers won 1-3 could have sentenced the game. I think this benfica has no desire to win or ambition, so the Rangers are clearly a favorite."

"Rangers may even have a 2x-3x lower budget than Benfica - without Darwin, they are already slightly favorites"

"We're going to struggle again, aren't we?
: cry2:
: cry2:

I do not have the minimum of enthusiasm for this game .. I already know that it will be more of the same, the same weak players in the same positions doing what they do not know .. and on top of that Darwin the only effort in the middle of this garbage with Covid. .

Wake me this nightmare .."

"They gave 4 to the third place. So far they have conceded 3 league goals, all away. They came to Luz for a walk."

" The buck will go down to earth when he leaves scotch with his ass burning"
Eh?can you say that again?

I think from memory they're one of the best supported clubs in the world as well due to the Portuguese influence in Brazil and most of them having a soft spot for a Portuguese side in Europe.
still hard to see how that would translate into that financial gulf between us and them. A soft sport for a portuguese club surely isn't worth a couple of hundred million in revenue?

Their revenue was over €300M last year. For a club in one of the smaller leagues that’s incredible. We should be studying how that was achieved.
still hard to see how that would translate into that financial gulf between us and them. A soft sport for a portuguese club surely isn't worth a couple of hundred million in revenue?
I don't know the ins and outs of it but this must play a part:

Their revenue was over €300M last year. For a club in one of the smaller leagues that’s incredible. We should be studying how that was achieved.
It's got everything to do with being able to pick up South American players with potential, develop them and 'bypass' immigration employment laws that the rest of us mere mortals in Europe need to adhere to.

See: Mario Jardel.

Sure they have supporter based with US ex-pats. I honestly doubt many folk in Brazil would support or finance Benfica when they have pretty massive clubs there. I didn’t see any Benfica tops or shops etc in Rio.

It's got everything to do with being able to pick up South American players with potential, develop them and 'bypass' immigration employment laws that the rest of us mere mortals in Europe need to adhere to.

That’s certainly a factor but Joao Felix and Ruben Dias are both Portuguese and have made them £175m in the last 2 seasons. They are very good at developing high quality players. Scouting and development, a model we need to follow (albeit obviously they have a advantage over attracting South American/Brazilian talent).

Portugal have an agreement with existing and former colonies (as does Belgium) that allows them to bypass the European restrictions on foreign players. Portugal can bring in Brazilian youths way before they reach the criteria to sign for teams for other countries (international appearances etc). This in turn lets the players flourish and then they punt them for mega money.
We should get a helluva amount of respect for our results against them. All things considered these are 2 great results that are tinged with regret. We’ve come a long way and are getting better

They make an absolute fortune in buying good South American prospects and selling them at huge profits within a few years.

I’ve said before that Spanish and Portuguese teams benefit from their old colonies in football terms and we are lumbered with the likes of the US and Australia that don’t give a shit about football :))
A lot of it is inflated though. Most of the South Americans are majority-owned by investment companies or other agencies. Benfica basically get the players for a low price with the agreement that they only own a small percentage of the player (so the agency will pay, say, 70%+ of the fee and therefore own 70% of the player etc). Therefore, when they take in 30m for a player in revenue, they're probably getting closer to 5-10m revenue for the club itself.

The whole part-owned player thing is a bit of a weird situation that I'm glad we're not involved in personally

Immigration laws of course will be UK regulated post January.

I don't know the ins and outs of it but this must play a part:

I was trying to find if there was anything more recent but every list just had Real and Barca at the top followed by interchanging Bayern, Juventus, Man Utd and Liverpool.

PSG, City and Chelsea were also in the top 10 which goes to show that a bit of money can go some way to bridging the gap to the teams with established celebrated histories.

Their fans are not happy.

They were expecting 18 points from the group stage and are apoplectic with rage at the result and the performance.

The manner of the results seems to have pissed them off, too. "The Rangers goalkeeper didn't make a save!" and "75 minutes of rubbish" seems to be the common theme.

They also expect us to win the last two games and win the Group after playing everyone and gauging their strengths.

However, they seem to have been placated a bit by signing a Brazilian CB from Santos for 6.5 million Euro's this morning.

Which just goes to show what we were up against, a club that can distract from a "bad" result with a signing of that quality on any given Friday morning.

I was trying to find if there was anything more recent but every list just had Real and Barca at the top followed by interchanging Bayern, Juventus, Man Utd and Liverpool.

PSG, City and Chelsea were also in the top 10 which goes to show that a bit of money can go some way to bridging the gap to the teams with established celebrated histories.
I don't understand PSG, City and Chelsea having a huge support.
If they played a match in Europe they couldn't carry the same support as ourselves or The Filth.

I don't understand PSG, City and Chelsea having a huge support.
If they played a match in Europe they couldn't carry the same support as ourselves or The Filth.
It's probably in other continents where people are just drawn to the most famous clubs, I seriously doubt you could actually call 90% of them fans. I think the list I looked at was based off social media followers which is just a load of pish

This modern version of Ajax are very similar in terms of the vast sums they have moved on young players for.
They are richer than they have ever been but Champions League winning is probably beyond them albeit they gave it a good go two seasons ago.

Back