Benfica highlights this season so far

Jorge Jesus is a very good manager, no doubt about it, it will be a tough game. We’ve just got that something special about us in Europe though

Thanks OP - I watched 3 of those. They're a mixed bunch - when they're good they are very good but are dodgy at the back. Farense had them on the ropes but missed two penalties.

It's not going to be easy for us!

They'll be better than what Porto were, IMO.

Their squad is littered with quality from front to back.

Vlachomidos, Grimaldo, Rafa Silva, Gabriel, Pizzi, Waldsmidt, Èverton, Weigl, Seferovic, Chuiquino, Nunez. Even Vertonghen and Otamendi.

Who’s there top players these days? Haven’t seen a lot of them in recent years to be honest

Said in the Euro opponents thread that the games against them will depend on how seriously they are taking the group games and if they have big league games afterwards. If they rest some of the big hitters you would like to think they are no better than Porto and Braga were last season. Play their strongest 11 and it could be one of the toughest EL games we have faced in last 3 years

Who’s there top players these days? Haven’t seen a lot of them in recent years to be honest

they have Otamendi and Jan Vertonghen in central defence

A few players from Brazil, Darwin Nunez might be a handful and looks quick.

They seem to play the same formation as us as well.

Very

They seem to play the same formation as us as well

Very impressed with Darwin Nunez. Will be the stand out for them I think

They spent a ton this summer (around £90 million). They signed Everton who was one of the main men when Brazil won the Copa America in 2019. That Nunez also looks good and is lightening quick.

Be very tough opponents for us, I'd settle for 3 points out of 6 right now.
Yeah, 3 points from the next 2 games and we’re almost through (SL would have to better our result over there when we play at Ibrox).

3 points in the next 2 and a draw against SL at Ibrox would do it.

Fantastic position to be in even at this early stage.

Yeah, 3 points from the next 2 games and we’re almost through (SL would have to better our result over there when we play at Ibrox).

3 points in the next 2 and a draw against SL at Ibrox would do it.

Fantastic position to be in even at this early stage.
3pts apiece from both games would suit us and Benfica. They look lightning going forward but suspect at the back. We have the players to beat them

I'm really surprised at how poor they were defensively in both clips, especially last nights. It's not just the lack of shape but a lack of pace and urgency. It almost looked as if they were not really bothered.

Offensively they look better than I expected given last nights stats. Their opposition was very poor but they were able to cut through the lines well - albeit offside too often.

Settle for two draws now

hopefully the other two teams draw both games

we would then just need a point to qualify

My Portuguese team, always keep an eye on their results & watch the highlights. They are a top class side but as above not really played anyone yet this season.

It will be SG's best result no doubt about that.
Makes me laugh when people say things like this. No offence mate, but how and why would you have a Portuguese team? :))

Do you have teams in different countries?

Makes me laugh when people say things like this. No offence mate, but how and why would you have a Portuguese team? :))

Do you have teams in different countries?

No offence taken mate :))

We go to Portugal 3 - 4 times a year on holiday & have ended up watching a fair few Benfica games with the locals so although I wouldn't class myself as a supporter I always look out for their results & watch the match highlights on YT.

Better than supporting the other lot across the city, their kit is rotten!;)

No offence taken mate :))

We go to Portugal 3 - 4 times a year on holiday & have ended up watching a fair few Benfica games with the locals so although I wouldn't class myself as a supporter I always look out for their results & watch the match highlights on YT.

Better than supporting the other lot across the city, their kit is rotten!;)
I'll give you that. Must be why we pump them every time we play them :))

They seem to play the same formation as us as well.
They play a very similar system to us but their fullbacks , imo , aren’t as attack minded as ours and their central defender is slow .
They have spent heavy but their first 5 games were against weak opposition . They played 12 games from match to July and won 5 out of 12 .

imo we are the better team and Id be disappointed if we didn’t get at least iaa point

Last edited:
I just don't rate them. I think we'll beat them quite comfortably. Hold tight and score a couple of goals on the break.

Back