Benfica Interested in Kamara?

Financially we have stretched ourselves to win 55 and stop the phoney 9.75 in a row, this has been achieved by the generosity and commitment of the Directors. But the directors don't have limitless funds so at the end of this season we will have to sell one or two major assets and only reinvest a fraction of that money in new players. Take your pick of one or two from Alfie, Roofe, Kent, Kamara and possibly Borna to go. That's football, but I have real confidence in our coaching team recruiting and developing replacements. I am more worried about getting extensions in place for Goldson, Tav and some of the talent coming through our academy than I am about selling major assets who have been put on display against top European sides.

Kamara for me is a £25 million pound player, he’s just turned 25, has 3 years left on his contract and is only going to get better.

I don’t want him going anywhere and we’ve no need to sell so it’s up to a buying club to give us a price that makes us unable to turn down. Anything below £25 million doesn’t do that.

That's the great thing with the way we've built a squad full of value. We need to sell someone but it could be any one of five or six players, so we don't need to sell ourselves short.

Reactions: hms
Seriously how good is Kamara now.

He could easily walk into Benfica team and not look out of place.

I think a move abroad rather than to the EPL would suit him better.

Help us win league and then get £15m for him job done

Kamara has been a fantastic signing, I think he was a little overawed when he first signed but has just gotten better and better he has cut out the blind passes he made when he first signed, I agree he will probably be gone in the summer and we bought Zungu for this eventuality but he would be a snip for someone at 15 million in todays market, still cannot believe we got a full internationalist for 50 grand, surely one of our best ever bits of business, he can go after 55 with my greatest respect and thanks.

Has to be £20 million plus but I'd rather wait and see if Lille come back in for Morelos

I reckon we'll sell a few players this summer. Especially if we win the title. A few of them will likely feel like they can further their careers elsewhere. Kamara has been in Scotland for quite a while, he maybe fancies a challenge in a new league. That's pure speculation on my part of course but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

This sucks to hear, but we really do need to take the next step and begin selling players for our business model to workout. Alfredo Morelos wins a title this year and his form picks up, he'll likely go in the summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sell one more and would not be surprised if that was Kamara, especially after the damage Covid has done. I love them both and would love for both to hang around a while longer but it's how we replace them that matters most to me. I'd sooner sell Kamara than say Goldson. We win the league we'll get bids from all over the place and for a lot of our squad. Barisic is another one I expect will gain a lot of interest, especially, if Croatia have a strong Euros.

We cant keep talking about our 'business model' and then not actually sell any of the assets. I know we'll hopefully have Champions League football by then, but all of these internationalists that we are so fond of, some of them could still be playing while those qualifiers are taking place in the summer.

I reckon we'll sell a few players this summer. Especially if we win the title. A few of them will likely feel like they can further their careers elsewhere. Kamara has been in Scotland for quite a while, he maybe fancies a challenge in a new league. That's pure speculation on my part of course but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

This sucks to hear, but we really do need to take the next step and begin selling players for our business model to workout. Alfredo Morelos wins a title this year and his form picks up, he'll likely go in the summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sell one more and would not be surprised if that was Kamara, especially after the damage Covid has done. I love them both and would love for both to hang around a while longer but it's how we replace them that matters most to me. I'd sooner sell Kamara than say Goldson. We win the league we'll get bids from all over the place and for a lot of our squad. Barisic is another one I expect will gain a lot of interest, especially, if Croatia have a strong Euros.

We cant keep talking about our 'business model' and then not actually sell any of the assets. I know we'll hopefully have Champions League football by then, but all of these internationalists that we are so fond of, some of them could still be playing while those qualifiers are taking place in the summer.
Correct, but the fans can’t act like babies when these players are eventually sold.

There will be a big player sale in the summer no question

In all likelihood you are correct but if we win the league and qualify for the CL that may persuade a few players to stay on for another year. Not to mention the gaffer.

I think Kamara would excel in the CL and would much rather keep him.

For me it has to be one key player a season not multiple trying to replace 3 key players is too much change in one season if we can get £20 million for Morelos or Kamara then we could replace them and even add to the squad for about half that

While I agree about Kamara, Jack is just as good for me, he was a big miss for us on Thursday especially during the first half, I'm pretty certain the gaffer knows it as well.
It's opinion of course, and I like Jack a lot, but he's not as good a player as Kamara in my opinion and by some distance. Different roles of course.

This is a relationship we should be looking to develop massively. Benfica have a hell of a youth set up. The amount of players they release each summer is eye watering. There may be one or two that could make the step to Rangers.
£20m for Kamara is a good deal for us and a good deal for anyone who’s paying it.

I am also expecting Barisic (£15/20m) and Morelos (£15/20m) to be sold in the summer.

We have Calvin Bassey ready to step in for Borna, Itten (if he gets a few more games under his belt and settles down - hes deff got something) for Morelos and then we could potentially be going into a CL season looking to sign a new midfielder if Zungu doesn’t work out to replace Kamara... if it does work out then we’re laughing for 2m quid.

We could bank 50m in transfers and have players waiting in the wings to step in and replace like for like. It’s very unlikely all 3 replacements that I mentioned will be ready at the same time but you can clearly see the plan in place by Ross Wilson. It’s sensational.

Hopefully another couple decent performances in Europe and min £30M
Remember biscuits hips value supposedly

For me it has to be one key player a season not multiple trying to replace 3 key players is too much change in one season if we can get £20 million for Morelos or Kamara then we could replace them and even add to the squad for about half that
I tend to agree that we should aim to minimise the number of major outs as much as possible, however, if we receive offers that exceed our valuations, what do you do? Would be hard to refuse if that is the long term business model. I'm confident we have shortlists of replacements for each position if players do leave or don't work out, we are operating at such a high level of professionalism right through the club right now.

I think he replaces Davis. If this is Davis' last season then wed be mad to sell Kamara.

I think we will have a pre-contract agreement for a player currently playing in Sheffield who will replace Davis!

Just a guess but given the finances i don’t see us committing to big transfers next summer unless we get in to the CL

Kamara has held his own in every game he has played with us in Europe and with Finland. Why would we accept any less than £20m?
KT doing well at Arsenal will help us get higher fees for our players too. If he is worth £24m Kamara is £30m imo.

Hopefully another couple decent performances in Europe and min £30M
Remember biscuits hips value supposedly
If Kamara goes for that sort of money in the next transfer window, then I'd be seriously concerned about our financial position. Unless an offer far in excess of our valuation comes in, we would be mental to sell him before the Euros.
Edit: think you said 10m initially.

Last edited:

If we receive either substantial or valuation bids for our players and those players want to leave then we'd be daft to knock it back. My post did allude to the fact we may face that issue in time. That's where our scouting and recruitment department would earn their corn. The money we receive from transfers isn't all going to get poured back into the playing squad. Some of it will but a lot of it will be kept to offset the cost of running the club. If we received multiple bids in the £20 million pound region for our players then we would be hard pushed to turn them down.

Cost of success unfortunately.

Win the league possibly the Cups, decent Europa run then the Euros 20m minimum. This boy has been sensational, domestically, in Europe and Internationally. Not even the Finnish article yet.

If certain players wanted to leave and try a better league then we’d be foolish to hold them hostage. A lot of the mentally challengeds problems this season stem from the likes of Edouard thinking he would’ve already moved on by now and he’s in the huff.

If we received offers that meet our valuation then players will go.

if the clubs valuation is met for him or any other player then he moves on.
Confident any fees received will be re-invested.
Just the way it’s going to be.

Where our club are at just now, I could see us get in the region of 20mil for Kamara. If Ross Wilson's reputation is correct, he will get excellent value of any player we have.

Kamara is yet to hit his prime but he is a very accomplished footballer already. He is 1st choice for Finland and having that international experience has developed him even further. He's destined for a top league with a top team.

Kamara has held his own in every game he has played with us in Europe and with Finland. Why would we accept any less than £20m?
KT doing well at Arsenal will help us get higher fees for our players too. If he is worth £24m Kamara is £30m imo.
I understand the temptation to look at what they receive in transfer fees when valuing our players but I really wish people wouldn't do that. Like everything else in life, a player is only worth whatever another club is willing to pay. Can you imagine entering into negotiations saying "Arsenal paid 25m for Tierney, so we want at least 20m...." we'd be laughed out the room.

Selling a player for big money is a massive part of our recovery, not only to balance the books but to set a precedent for the rest of our assets.

There's so little income and revenue streams available to us us playing in the SPL that 'buy low, sell high' has got to be our mantra as we aim to finally follow the 'Ajax & Porto' models.

If certain players wanted to leave and try a better league then we’d be foolish to hold them hostage. A lot of the mentally challengeds problems this season stem from the likes of Edouard thinking he would’ve already moved on by now and he’s in the huff.

If we received offers that meet our valuation then players will go.

The mentally challengeds have made a habit of that of late. They did the same with Dembele and he had to have a full scale wobbly on social media to force their hand. We get the bids and the player wants the move, so long as it makes financial sense for us, we do the deal imo. No point keeping a hold of players who aren't committed.

Sell a few players for a decent profit, then bring in the next batch. It's the model we are going with after all. It's why we've invested in guys like Aribo, Hagi and Itten. Give them the time to adapt and then they hopefully take the place of those that leave. We bring in the fresh batch and bed them in. Rinse and repeat.

We need to substantially increase our revenue next season if we want to balance the books. To do it without selling a player, we would need to qualify for the CL. No CL would mean a player definitely had to go.

If I could hand pick 1 or 2 that we should get decent money for I would pick Morelos and Barisic to go. We should get in excess of 20m for both of them and we have ready made replacements in Bassey, Itten and Roofe already on the books for them. That simply has to be our model going forward anyone with a basic understanding of Finance can look at our Financial Results and understand the current model simply isn't sustainable.

Kamara is potentially the player in our squad with the highest ceiling. He could grace any league in Europe and not look out of place. I don't want to lose him because Davis and Arfield are getting on and Jack is in his late 20s now as well and a little bit injury prone but we might not be able to hold Kamara back any longer than this season. He's had tons of teams looking really closely at him for a while now.

I really think that Kamara should be one of our highest value player when he eventually leaves. He makes us tick.

I’d sell him for £20m And not primarily for the cash benefit to the club.

I’d be mainly driven by the massive GIRUY to Dundee who decided, last summer, to side with Sporting Integrity FC

the readies would come in handy too though

:D:D:D

Disagree with this he’s got 5/6 years ahead of him and only just coming into his peak. He’s a Croatian international he’ll retain his value for years yet.
Attacking fullbacks don’t tend to play at the top level into their mid 30s. There’s no way we’d be selling him at £10m plus aged 30.

Sell someone else. It would cost a fortune to replace him.
Id be looking to sell Morelos in the summer

hed be easier to replace

plus we have Davis who will be looking to retire imo, jack whos out a fair bit

letting Glen go would be bonkers

It's opinion of course, and I like Jack a lot, but he's not as good a player as Kamara in my opinion and by some distance. Different roles of course.

I would agree with you.

Plus the fact that Kamara has a far better fitness record.

This is a relationship we should be looking to develop massively. Benfica have a hell of a youth set up. The amount of players they release each summer is eye watering. There may be one or two that could make the step to Rangers.
£20m for Kamara is a good deal for us and a good deal for anyone who’s paying it.

I am also expecting Barisic (£15/20m) and Morelos (£15/20m) to be sold in the summer.

We have Calvin Bassey ready to step in for Borna, Itten (if he gets a few more games under his belt and settles down - hes deff got something) for Morelos and then we could potentially be going into a CL season looking to sign a new midfielder if Zungu doesn’t work out to replace Kamara... if it does work out then we’re laughing for 2m quid.

We could bank 50m in transfers and have players waiting in the wings to step in and replace like for like. It’s very unlikely all 3 replacements that I mentioned will be ready at the same time but you can clearly see the plan in place by Ross Wilson. It’s sensational.
And after all that we will still pump the scum.

I understand the temptation to look at what they receive in transfer fees when valuing our players but I really wish people wouldn't do that. Like everything else in life, a player is only worth whatever another club is willing to pay. Can you imagine entering into negotiations saying "Arsenal paid 25m for Tierney, so we want at least 20m...." we'd be laughed out the room.
Totally agree, however accepting low ball offers when you see what teams are capable of paying is just as laughable.
We have people on here that would accept £10m for Kamara. It's ridiculous.

It's no real suprise Benfica are interested in Kamara.

He was the best midfielder on display for either club in both the games against them.

Would love to see Glen stay. But i'd also love to see Tav, Alfie, Kent etc stay. The fact is we have to sell 1 or 2 of them as Dave King said.

Totally agree, however accepting low ball offers when you see what teams are capable of paying is just as laughable.
We have people on here that would accept £10m for Kamara. It's ridiculous.
I don't see us being low balled under the current regime. Some on here were prepared to take 2-3m for Kamara at the start of the season. Worse still, some on here were prepared give Gerrard the arse after drawing at Livvy.....Fair to say, some on here are not the most reasonable or sensible....

He simply is one of our players that can’t be allowed to leave just now.

I don't think any of our regular squad players can leave before the end of the season mate.

We will have to sell one then, as that has to be the business model of our club going forward.

I'd prefer it wasn't Kamara this summer though.

I get why Benfica would be after him, he was outstanding in both games.

I dont worry to much about Jan as it would take a very very high bid for the board to sell him. Also the whole point of having DOF is to plan for these things. If Kamara or any player leaves in Jan or the summer, i trust we will not only have spotted a repleacement but will also have funds to sign tbem.

We know ourselves , they will want the best we have , but we will not lose a player again for below our valuation . We seen that in the summer .

That's the great thing with the way we've built a squad full of value. We need to sell someone but it could be any one of five or six players, so we don't need to sell ourselves short.
IMO we have 4-5 players who could be in the £20 million bracket and you’re correct mate, the days of cheap pickings of our club has long gone.

Back