Benfica next

TPB90

Another big game coming up on Thursday. What do we fancy?

I think Kamara & Davis will come in for Arfield & Roofe. I would keep Balogun in the side but Helander may possibly start in his place.

I think Kamara & Davis will come in for Arfield & Roofe. I would keep Balogun in the side but Helander may possibly start in his place.
Rangers for the win would be the answer surely.

3-1 Rangers, we owe these guys a dooing.

Davis & Kamara will come in, down to Roofe or Aribo for the 10 position I reckon.

Good headache.

Obviously but scoreline?
2 1. Pretty sure they will get a goal at some point in 90 minutes. Looked decent for the first 20 in Lisbon. Difficult to say how good they really are with 11. A step below say, Leverkuesen in quality though.

For me this game is bit of a free hit. Regardless of the result the two following games should see us qualify and nothing we saw in the first legs should frighten us.

I've been having my early nosy on their forums and they are NOT confident at all.

"In the light I predicted 1-4 for Rangers. The post shot when Rangers won 1-3 could have sentenced the game. I think this benfica has no desire to win or ambition, so the rangers are clearly a favorite."

"I highly doubt that we will get anything out of this game.

they have a good team and take this competition much more seriously, in addition to which Darwin is sorely missed."

"Fireproof or not, I don't see us bringing anything positive from here. Zero hope."

"But does anyone really believe that we will win this, on top of it without Darwin?
:laugh:

We will take the usual 3-0 in Glasgow, but this time it will be Rangers and not Celtic"

"Rangers may even have a 2x-3x lower budget than Benfica - without Darwin, they are already slightly favorites."

"I don't believe in victory."

"I have many doubts that we can even score."

"ZERO confidence for this game!"

Aribo terrified them and he's even fitter now.
Agreed, I personally don’t think we get the best out of him as a 10. That’s more to do with how good he is back one, rather being poor when he’s more advanced.

Scary player.

I'd rather see Helander than Balagoun for this one. I thought Balagoun was lax yesterday and we cannot afford that on Thursday.
Kamara will join Jack in the midfield which should stiffen us up in there. It was too easy at times for Aberdeen to break on us yesterday. We won't get away with that on Thursday.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Jack Davis Kamara
Roofe Kent
Morelos
Very harsh on Arfield as he's been terrific and would be my first pick against teams that will sit in but Benfica are a step up and we need as much control as possible in midfield.

Agree with your team but would go with Arfield instead of Roofe. This is the best spell Scott has had for us, competition for places is getting the best out of him.

Edit. Forgot all about Aribo. Can we fit 12 on the park.

McGregor
Jack Davis Kamara
Roofe Kent
Morelos
Very harsh on Arfield as he's been terrific and would be my first pick against teams that will sit in but Benfica are a step up and we need as much control as possible in midfield.
i'd like to see aribo in our midfield 3 to add an attacking intent to our play

I’m going for a rangers victory. Not getting ahead but if we can win this game do we only need to beat standard at home to win the group.

I think lech Poznań away could be a tricky tie if there’s anything qualification wise at stake then.

I agree with you that Davis and Kamara are certs to start.

Other than them, McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Borna and Kent, I wouldn't like to call it.

4 places up for grabs imo, but the options for them are top drawer.

McGregor
Jack Davis Kamara
Roofe Kent
Morelos
Think it might be that team but Aribo for Roofe. The big man can keep the ball and is a goal threat.
Bring on Roofe’s fresh legs 2nd half

A win on thurs would be massive for us and will prob mean qualifying for knockouts with 2 games to spare meaning we could change a few things up and rest players for remaining 2 europa league games as the poets will be out on their arse come thurs and wont have the distraction of europa league

It’ll be a very tough game. Benfica showed when they had eleven men on the park that they are top class side, but we really should not fear them. We have players that can hurt them - particularly with that high line they play.

I've been having my early nosy on their forums and they are NOT confident at all.

"In the light I predicted 1-4 for Rangers. The post shot when Rangers won 1-3 could have sentenced the game. I think this benfica has no desire to win or ambition, so the Rangers are clearly a favorite."

"I highly doubt that we will get anything out of this game.

they have a good team and take this competition much more seriously, in addition to which Darwin is sorely missed."

"Fireproof or not, I don't see us bringing anything positive from here. Zero hope."

"But does anyone really believe that we will win this, on top of it without Darwin?
:laugh:

We will take the usual 3-0 in Glasgow, but this time it will be Rangers and not Celtic"

"Rangers may even have a 2x-3x lower budget than Benfica - without Darwin, they are already slightly favorites."

"I don't believe in victory."

"I have many doubts that we can even score."

"ZERO confidence for this game!"

Always look forward to your posts since you started researching other fans forums mate.

Some of the posts have been fuckin hilarious when it's translated back to English.

You should get your own forum title and take the job on :))

A win and a Liege home win in the other match would see us qualify which would be a massive boost going into a busy fixture schedule. Means we could priorities the league matches.

I’m going 2-1.

McGregor
Jack Davis Kamara
Roofe Kent
Morelos
McGregor
Jack Davis Kamara
Aribo Roofe Kent

Think Alife may need to start this one on the bench

I think he will change the team that drew with them over there just to keep them guessing. If they come to Ibrox with that high line again theres goals for us. I think we could see Roofe coming in for Aribo to help create that space in behind with his intelligent runs. Imagine sitting with a bench that can see us bring on Arfield and Aribo/Hargi later on if we need to change it up.

Alfredo will lead the line, hes good with his back to goal holding off his man and coming deep to receive balls and link up midfield again leaving space in behind for the 2 runners. That combined with his goalscoring record in this competition leaves him undroppable surely. Not forgetting the number of easy fouls he earns us falling over when his man inevitably runs through the back of him doing exactly this, hes really clever at it.

Last edited:
A draw would be on paper a great result but going by the performance in the away game Benfica are there for the taking. Rangers deserved the win there and I'm sure game management is something Gerrard is aware as being one of his teams few weak points.

What a boost it would be to have a Scottish club in Europe after Xmas yet again.

Always look forward to your posts since you started researching other fans forums mate.

Some of the posts have been fuckin hilarious when it's translated back to English.

You should get your own forum title and take the job on :))
Glad you enjoy them mate, will get a big one up on thursday when there's more content on their forum about the game

Helander should be nowhere near the team for this game simply because of his performance against them in Lisbon. He might be our second best defender but he was exposed, will be carrying the mental scars and will probably be targeted.

And I'd hate for us to play Jack, Kamara and Davis at home.

Two from three plus Aribo.

Probably Jack and Kamara.

Arfield really unlucky to miss out.

The front three that started yesterday.

Agree with your team but would go with Arfield instead of Roofe. This is the best spell Scott has had for us, competition for places is getting the best out of him.

Edit. Forgot all about Aribo. Can we fit 12 on the park.

Aribo, Arfield or Roofe, what a headache for Gerrard to have!

Totally agree on Arfield, he'd be my first pick against teams that will sit in.

A draw would be on paper a great result but going by the performance in the away game Benfica are there for the taking. Rangers deserved the win there and I'm sure game management is something Gerrard is aware as being one of his teams few weak points.

What a boost it would be to have a Scottish club in Europe after Xmas yet again.
The CORRECT Scottish club! :)

This is a great chance to get our highest ever points tally in a European group stage too, even with squad rotation if we qualify with games to spare. I think our current best is 10 in the PLG season? Funnily enough that was over 4 matches.

Benfica genuinely appear to have quite a few major players out. Nunez the scorer of the late equaliser against us and Weigl their Defensive Midfielder are out due to coronovirus. Almeria (RB), Pedrinho (LB) Todibo (CB) all out injured. Tavares is also supposedly out and Otamendi is suspended after his red card in the first game against us.

That said, all we all know that top European teams of Benfica's stature will have good replacements for every position. Benfica rested all their first team players and played their complete B team against a Portugese 2nd division side at the weekend winning 1 v 0. So they certainly respect us.

As per usual it will be interesting to see which players actually travel to Glasgow.

Even without Darwen Nunez they are going to be a very tough prospect.

A victory gets us to 10 points and probably sends us through, however I'd take a draw right now if I were offered it.

Alongside Bayer Leverkusen, they are the toughest test we will face this year.

Benfica genuinely appear to have quite a few major players out. Nunez the scorer of the late equaliser against us and Weigl their Defensive Midfielder are out due to coronovirus. Almeria (RB), Pedrinho (LB) Todibo (CB) all out injured. Tavares is also supposedly out and Otamendi is suspended after his red card in the first game against us.

That said, all we all know that top European teams of Benfica's stature will have good replacements for every position. Benfica rested all their first team players and played their complete B team against a Portugese 2nd division side at the weekend winning 1 v 0. So they certainly respect us.

As per usual it will be interesting to see which players actually travel to Glasgow.
Given how high their line is, losing Otamendi may be a blessing in disguise.

McGregor
Jack Davis Kamara
Roofe Kent
Morelos
I probably agree with that line up but I think it depends on how benfica approach the game. Arfield & aribo have been in good form & offer more in the final 3rd of the pitch. I'm not convinced that benfica won't try to sit back & play on the break. We played them off the park for most of the game the other week & they now know they can't afford to leave gaps at the back. I'm think it might be a much tighter game this time so creativity could be a key factor

They are a good team who can pass it about and have a bit of pace about them. They can give us problems if we give them space, particularly between defence and midfield which happened a couple of times v Aberdeen.

But we are a good team now and will get chances. Alfredo to step up. I can see goals in this one, maybe 2-2.

Probably the toughest fixture of the season so far, Benfica have good technical players and it will be a good test. Braga last year gave us a torrid time for 60 minutes and Benfica arguably are better. I would settle for a draw right now.

It will be very interesting to see our approach to this game. But I think SG would be happy with a draw.

McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Jack
Davis
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Morelos

I reckon that will be the team, only one that might be different might be roofe in for aribo but I think we will go with aribo for this after he impressed in the first game.

If we beat Benfica and Liege beat Poznań we qualify to the last 32 as I see it? We’re then just playing for whether we’re 1st or 2nd?

Back