Benfica next

It's such a shame that we let the game get away from us over there, I'd love to have gone into Thursday's game at Ibrox knowing - and having them know - that we had already taken their measure in Lisbon.

I've been having my early nosy on their forums and they are NOT confident at all.

"In the light I predicted 1-4 for Rangers. The post shot when Rangers won 1-3 could have sentenced the game. I think this benfica has no desire to win or ambition, so the Rangers are clearly a favorite."

"I highly doubt that we will get anything out of this game.

they have a good team and take this competition much more seriously, in addition to which Darwin is sorely missed."

"Fireproof or not, I don't see us bringing anything positive from here. Zero hope."

"But does anyone really believe that we will win this, on top of it without Darwin?
:laugh:

We will take the usual 3-0 in Glasgow, but this time it will be Rangers and not Celtic"

"Rangers may even have a 2x-3x lower budget than Benfica - without Darwin, they are already slightly favorites."

"I don't believe in victory."

"I have many doubts that we can even score."

"ZERO confidence for this game!"
Top work as always fella

We are slight favourites, but I’m being real and I’m not going to get angry if we get beat. They are a very good side.

This Rangers team in Europe has been full of surprises though.

I agree with you that Davis and Kamara are certs to start.

Other than them, McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Borna and Kent, I wouldn't like to call it.

4 places up for grabs imo, but the options for them are top drawer.
Would go with Balogun I think. Helander struggles against the pace in the away tie. I’d probably add Morelos as he looked well up for it in Lisbon. Then Arfield and Aribo.

Would go with Balogun I think. Helander struggles against the pace in the away tie. I’d probably add Morelos as he looked well up for it in Lisbon. Then Arfield and Aribo.

I think it was just a couple of uncharacteristic individual errors from Helander in Lisbon, as opposed to getting done for pace mate.

I would probably just prefer Helander to start, but I'm very comfortable with either of them.

We're fortunate enough to have the best 3 central defenders in the league.

McKenna was probably 4th best and he's done a runner from the sheep into the Forest.

I think it was just a couple of uncharacteristic individual errors from Helander in Lisbon, as opposed to getting done for pace mate.

I would probably just prefer Helander to start, but I'm very comfortable with either of them.

We're fortunate enough to have the best 3 central defenders in the league.

McKenna was probably 4th best and he's done a runner from the sheep into the Forest.
And the best two keepers, best right back and left back.

He’s a great player usually, so fingers crossed it was a blip.

Another big game coming up on Thursday. What do we fancy?

I think Kamara & Davis will come in for Arfield & Roofe. I would keep Balogun in the side but Helander may possibly start in his place.
Helander for Balogun
Kamara for Arfield

Keep the rest as is.

It's going to be a very difficult game. I think our toughest test of the season so far (assuming they can keep 11 men on the park). I'm going for a score draw.

STV news stated as fact last night that if we win we qualify, is that actually true or does the other result need to fall a certain way as well? We’d be on 10 points but unless Leige beat Poznań, I’d say it could still come down to head to head in the last 2 games.

STV news stated as fact last night that if we win we qualify, is that actually true or does the other result need to fall a certain way as well? We’d be on 10 points but unless Leige beat Poznań, I’d say it could still come down to head to head in the last 2 games.

I don't thinkso. If Lech Poznan beat Standard again then they'll be on 6 so if them and Benfica draw and they beat us by a better scoreline than 1-0 we'll go out if Benfica beat Standard and Standard beat us at Ibrox.

I think ... :))

Not surprised on the confident replies but this is probably the best team we have faced this season.

Another win would be remarkable but we need to be ready to prove when we do slip we can bounce back.

I would happily take a draw

A win on thurs would be massive for us and will prob mean qualifying for knockouts with 2 games to spare meaning we could change a few things up and rest players for remaining 2 europa league games as the poets will be out on their arse come thurs and wont have the distraction of europa league
Every win is ca-ching!

We need to win every point we play for, more cash in the bank.

Not surprised on the confident replies but this is probably the best team we have faced this season.

Another win would be remarkable but we need to be ready to prove when we do slip we can bounce back.

I would happily take a draw
I agree it will be a hard match, but we really should be able to beat them at our place.

A tight Rangers win for me.

I don't thinkso. If Lech Poznan beat Standard again then they'll be on 6 so if them and Benfica draw and they beat us by a better scoreline than 1-0 we'll go out if Benfica beat Standard and Standard beat us at Ibrox.

I think ... :))

thanks for clearing that up.......

I am not looking into their injury worries. They have a strong squad full of technically gifted players, the players that come in will be good players and give us a game. This is not St Johnstone losing 9 first team players and having to pick some 16 year olds who were out in the park the night before drinking bucky and fingering.

This 9 first team players being out is just going to be a stick for the press here, in our own country to use to batter us if we do lose. Rangers lose to Benfica B, that type of pish.

I would rather we are playing their full strength team, so there are no excuses.

It would be great if we win but again, to me anything in Europe is a bonus. My concern is getting over line in the league and ending their run and getting 55.

Latest posts

Back