Benfica not Barcelona!

UnionCruiser72

In the current Europa league format, Benfica have never been beaten at home in this competition.

A total of 23 games, 19 wins and 4 draws.

It’ll be a tremendous achievement to get a result

linthousebear1981

yeah not caring about Benfica just now, Killie is my concern for now.

All I will say is, yeah they are not Bayern but they are still a very capable and dangerous team. One that will play very different from what we face in Scotland and of the two teams we have faced so far.

RFCGTC

Benfica are an excellent side and if they beat us I'll have no problem with that. The OPs logic is seriously flawed. I'm only interested in securing 3 points at Killie on Sunday playing on a carpet.

northside blue

benfica were always going to be the toughest in the group, a very good side, if we can get a win and a draw in the games against them it would do me, a big ask, but we can do it.

_DON_

I think It is going from a tough game last night to playing on that his awful pitch on Sunday that will worry people. We can only hope that our players aren’t assaulted on Sunday and get the correct amount of recovery time.

Strathbungo Bear

The point is that having done the business already against the "weaker" teams in the group 1 point over both games would be fine. If we do better great, I hope we do, but we don't need to because we have been professional and ruthless when we had to be. Europe is just becoming a routine part of our business these days, we turn up, punch at about our weight and collect our winnings.

EC54

Up there with leverkusan extremely tough 2 games, Dont expect any points over there and will have to play well to get any points at Ibrox. I expect whether we qualify or not will come down to a victory in any of the other 2 games

norm1890

I'm not answering this - except I just have. Kilmarnock first then worry about Benfica. Certainly do not recall anyone comparing them to Barcelona and of course they are really good team.

Ted Rangers

I'd take two points in two games right now. Not taking away from us, we are a great team now and proud of our exploits in Europe but Benfica are Leverkusen level IMO.
I'd put them more at Porto level, they spend big money, but lose their best players. They must find it difficult to have any real consistency. Having said that, we are currently aspiring to be selling at their level too. I'd be very happy with 2 points.
If the Lech and Standard split the points it would be good for us.

gordy73

I'm hoping for a minimum of 4 points over both game. Are they much better or any better than what Porto or Villarreal were? Genuine question

Balogun1

Let's get Kilmarnock out of the way first.
Concentrate on one game at a time.
Agree with this. We were poor last night but still got the job done.

I would rather we did our talking on the pitch.

Benfica are a CL side playing in the EL. They just sold a defender for £65m and spent a vast amount this summer, the kind of sums we can only dream of.

I reckon we can get 2-4 points over the 2 games but we cannot underestimate them.

psykal

Let's get Kilmarnock out of the way first.
Concentrate on one game at a time.
Jesus Christ man how many threads need to have this as an early reply with tons of likes. I honestly don't get it.

Are the team more likely to drop points on Sunday because there's a thread on FF about possibly taking points in the next game?

Wish folk would stop stifling the discussion with this pish.

Walter2

Jesus Christ man how many threads need to have this as an early reply with tons of likes. I honestly don't get it.

Are the team more likely to drop points on Sunday because there's a thread on FF about possibly taking points in the next game?

Wish folk would stop stifling the discussion with this pish.

Just woke up ya doughnut.

DoubleWhopper

Official Ticketer
I particularly liked "Our defence guaruntees us 2 points".

Its nice to know we'll never concede again so long as the current defence plays.

Cutty/Young

We will get a draw away and beat them at Ibrox, book mark this.
I am confident we are going all the way to Gdansk (yes, i did need to google this)
I'll bookmark this for you,similar to all those who said we would be taking anything between 3 and 5 goals off Poznan,that worked out well and lots getting a tad carried away thinking we only have to turn up.

You'll be in for a very unpleasant surprise next Thursday, Benfica are no mugs and will be an extremely difficult game,they have quality players all over their team,very comfortable on the ball and pass very quickly,their defence has some good players and middle to front they pose a real danger given how quick they go forward,they press absolutely everything in order to win the ball back and play very high up the pitch.

Danger men for me are Grimaldo but think he might miss the game through injury, Cervi, Everton, Concalves and Rafa. Their front two of Darwin and Waldschmidt will need marked very closely,both of them are very capable and quick,especially Darwin.

Not expecting to take anything from both games against Benfica and why I think it's important to take what we can from the other games,Benfica will win the group.

Blueblood86

I grinned wen reading about benficas emphatic 3-0 home win over stan dard ..
Like many have said tho get through Sunday no injuries etc then worry about benfica.
Make no mistake they will be feeling the same about playing us ,and that can only be a good thing .
Plus
we have shagger in goals !!:))

Last edited: