The Mirror claiming Benetiz to Celtic

With both Chelsea and Arsenal, at least, positions far from secure, I'm sure he'll wait and see first.
That's before you consider continental possibilities.
The fruitcakes think he’s getting announced next week.
It’s a done deal according to them :)

I'm only bothered from the point of view that it gives them a better chance of getting into the CL.

Would be a bit annoying for our great work over the years to result in them being able to still access the CL. He would probably get them through the qualifiers even in that non champions route.

Not a chance. He’ll get a good EPL job within the next 6 months.

They’ll scapegoat Lennon for the failure of this season and bring in someone else on the cheap. Probably Jack Ross
Ross was probably favourite till getting done yesterday by St J. Cheap option and they have history of taking Hibs managers, all the way back to Stein.

Although anything is possible, do they really have the money required to appease a manager used to spending large amounts of money on transfers? And then you have to take into account the salaries of him and his coaching staff.

Very decent manager. ... Going to septic. No chance .

Firstly. No way they paying circa £5 mill a year

2 They don't have millions to give him to spend

3. He will get much better offers Europe wide
4 it's. Septic
5. He's not daft
They are probably faced with a choice if paying for someone decent or watching season ticket sales go down the toilet. Remember it's likely at least part of next season will be bcd.

Read my post.
I did and I,'ll ask you again what money.all you have put down is if,s and puts.desmond is more interested in taking money out of that club .not putting it in. All he is interested is making money .not losing it.when was the last time he put money into Celtic.

Is this real? I seem to recall the papers (Rhetard & Mirror) had Bobby Robson as a done deal to take over from Wim Jansen.

Turned out that Bobby was really Jo Venglos.

Even if true, the Charlies will need to go into debt to fund him because Dermot ain’t paying for it out of his own pocket.

Bring it on.

Hopefully other than early success with Valencia he has been a cheque book manager with a consistent record of failure.

Right up their street for a club that has a severe loss of income.

Bring him in, let him splash the cash and get punted within a season like he has before.

Last trophy was an italian cup 7 years ago if you dont count getting Newcastle relegated and winning the English Championship.

It would be pretty funny if it was true.

Leave it to Lennon in the showers to do the diddy ten on the cheap.

When that fails and you end up 23 points behind in Jan and £35m+ in the hole, go and get Rafa Benitez....

Lawell classic rope a dope on the idiot fans.
Gets a story like this leaked out in the press.
They all get excited, pipe down for a while and get off his back, shift some season tickets then Rafa goes somewhere else and he announces Kennedy or Malky or someone similar.
Those idiots will have been taken for a ride again.

Although anything is possible, do they really have the money required to appease a manager used to spending large amounts of money on transfers? And then you have to take into account the salaries of him and his coaching staff.
The only way they could is if DD is dipping his hand very deep in his pocket. I wouldnt rule that out after the way he reacted to the SC semi final defeat a few years back. However, I think this more about whether Benitez would want to go to the piggery or not. Like you say, nothings impossible, but I think he could easily find a better gig in a bigger league than the mentally challengeds. He doesnt strike me as a 'project' manager, and although he is a bit of a mercenary, I think the transfer budget on offer would make him baulk. He would be a coup for them no question. However, it would take a miracle to win them the title this season, and next year he'd be starting from scratch. So unless he's getting a long term deal (which I really don't see happening) I dont think we should be overly concerned.

I put this down to a lazy piece of journalism that's pure speculation. The journalist in question has probably penned the story based on the fact he's just left China and the bookie's have shortened the odds on him getting the job.

The only way they could is if DD is dipping his hand very deep in his pocket. I wouldnt rule that out after the way he reacted to the SC semi final defeat a few years back. However, I think this more about whether Benitez would want to go to the piggery or not. Like you say, nothings impossible, but I think he could easily find a better gig in a bigger league than the mentally challengeds. He doesnt strike me as a 'project' manager, and although he is a bit of a mercenary, I think the transfer budget on offer would make him baulk. He would be a coup for them no question. However, it would take a miracle to win them the title this season, and next year he'd be starting from scratch. So unless he's getting a long term deal (which I really don't see happening) I dont think we should be overly concerned.

I put this down to a lazy piece of journalism that's pure speculation. The journalist in question has probably penned the story based on the fact he's just left China and the bookie's have shortened the odds on him getting the job.
Good post mate.

How other newspapers pick this story up will indicate how true this is or not. He is a very good manager.

If you read the article there is absolutely nothing backing it up, they are just guessing. Would be a good appointment by them but it just isn't happening.

He's a top manager, can't imagine he'll go to Celtic/spfl, but I didn't think Rodgers would either. Not quite the same, I know.

Just to plays devils advocate here, I remember people doing this routine with Rodgers too, the infamous GioLoyal even proclaimed Warburton would ensure he disappeared back down south with his tail between his legs.

Regardless of Benitez’s stint in China he is a top manager and there’s no sense in trying to do mental gymnastics to convince ourselves otherwise. I don’t think he’s going to end up at the piggery though, having a reputation like his means he’ll get more lucrative offers.
You’re right, he’s got a pedigree and ability as a manger. Our own manager cites him as a great influence on him, so to read some downplaying him is a bit ridiculous. The fact of the matter is Celtic are about to go on a downsize, unless Desmond pumps millions in, which he’s not done in many years and quite the opposite in taking out then they are downsizing. Where are they going to get Rafa’s wages and £50m for him to spend. Just not happening.

Last edited:
Lawell classic rope a dope on the idiot fans.
Gets a story like this leaked out in the press.
They all get excited, pipe down for a while and get off his back, shift some season tickets then Rafa goes somewhere else and he announces Kennedy or Malky or someone similar.
Those idiots will have been taken for a ride again.
This, the names they thought they were getting before Lennon was signed in the showers was hilarious

Just to plays devils advocate here, I remember people doing this routine with Rodgers too, the infamous GioLoyal even proclaimed Warburton would ensure he disappeared back down south with his tail between his legs.

Regardless of Benitez’s stint in China he is a top manager and there’s no sense in trying to do mental gymnastics to convince ourselves otherwise. I don’t think he’s going to end up at the piggery though, having a reputation like his means he’ll get more lucrative offers.
This. I barely take notice of FF posts about our own players and managers. The football opinions on here are dubious as hell, my own included. When it comes to our rivals the posts on here are even worse. That's not a dig at our support or FF. When it comes to a rival team don't expect much sense from a bunch of supporters.

Headline: “set to become”

Story: “in the frame”

Those are two very different things.

Maybe if he was thinking of going to the knew camp we should educate him on their history & the dark secrets that are about to be revealed in the court's this year , am sure a man of Rafa's pedigree wouldn't want associated with child abuse crimes at the club he is employed with , just saying .

Daily mail reporting it too now. Saying no chance he's going to Newcastle because of previous fall out wae the fat barsteward

Benetiz would need mega £ to revamp there sqaud.

And he would be shopping in a market for players hes never dipped his toes in.

Cant see it happening.

This is what Celtic do - it’s the same with player signings

They’ll ‘talk to’ Mourinho, Pochettino, Benitez or whoever is flavour of the day - and get the stories in the media to get their fans all worked up about it.

Then realistically the next manger will be Strachan, Lambert, O’Neill, Clarke or MacKay.

I know they did it with Rodgers, but even if they paid the wage for a top drawer manager they’re not going to give the transfer kitty that they’d want.

I doubt Rafa Benitez will end up there for numerous reasons; money/wages, transfer budget, the fact better jobs will be available to him. He’s probably looking at the English Premiership.

Any one writing off Benitez is looking through their blue tinted glasses (as he’s linked with Celtic). He’s a good manager. What he achieved, or failed to achieve in China is pretty irrelevant.

Bring it on if true, very much doubt it is though, they are burning cash already without getting a 6 million per year manager and bankrolling transfers to appease him.

Regards other places picking it up- they are using the word "reportedly."

This literally means that they have seen it reported elsewhere, The Mirror, and are just taking the story from there.

Journalist has taken a punt- odds shortened and he has quit his job.

The fact is quitting his job is irrelevant as he won't come in til the end of the season anyway so not sure why he would quit/leave now.

Good manager and exactly the type they need to sell season tickets so they will be in that market imo. But when the media up here begin to report it as a done deal that's when it will get serious. All of is the now are some English journos taking a punt.

I'm not convinced hed be a success here though. Scottish football is a bit of an anomaly in that you can overthink the game up here. Most games aren't some tactical game of chess.

Really can't see it aside from the fact he is too big a manager for them it would be a bit disrespectful to Gerrard.

I don’t see the connection between furlough & recruitment in different areas of the business.

Arsenal borrowed £100m from The Treadury, then paid £20m to get Ozil to leave.

ps I want them to go for a Jack Ross type manager, I just don’t think that will sell s/t’s.
Fair point! i was taking a few things into consideration tho that was just the most recent thing in ma head! With thier wage bill and no substantial income for best part of a yr so far id imagine they've burned through serious amounts of cash the players they have tied to long term contracts who are shite etc I can't see them having enough to pay off lennon, pay benitez , his backroom team, pay off the dross and rebuild a team that benitez would want! just my opinion ive no idea but I'm certain there will be far more tempting offers for him elsewhere:)

Really can't see it aside from the fact he is too big a manager for them it would be a bit disrespectful to Gerrard.

Who is going to care about being disrespectful to SG mate? Benitez? That's not how football work plus they aren't close anyway.

He was in China to make a fortune, his record over there will have no bearing whatsoever, he will have a string of clubs willing to employ him.

Bring it on if true, very much doubt it is though, they are burning cash already without getting a 6 million per year manager and bankrolling transfers to appease him.

The turnaround between the Old Firm can be as quick as a season, we’ve seen that in the past but; their squad needs a complete overhaul. Not even Pep Guardiola is making a team out of Ajer, Frimpong, Greg Taylor, Turnbull, Soro, Christie, McGregor.

A number of them want away from the club. Duffy, Laxalt, Ntcham, Edouard and a few others won’t be there next season. Obviously it doesn’t cost £90m to shape a squad in Scotland but it does take money and time.

I’d say their whole football operations is a mess. Money is no quick fix and I doubt they’ve got money to burn.

tenor.gif

Back