The Mirror claiming Benetiz to Celtic

They could probably pay him a decent wage £50k ish) but...when he assesses the car crash hes about to inherit and tells fat Pete thats its a minimum £40 million repair job........

Just another tier to their pain. Last time around they convinced themselves that they were getting Jose or Pochettino and we all know where they ended up.

Rafa went to China in order to make a fortune; yes he’s left but in the real world, you’re not leaving China to join a team that are on the decline.

It’s taken us 3 seasons under Gerrard to sculpt our squad and playing style and I think it will take them the same length of time if not longer to re-build.

Is Rafa going to risk his reputation on a project in what is seen as a minor European league? He’s more likely to go back to Chelsea or Madrid

Let’s not beat around the bush here that is a significant upgrade on what they have at the moment and will get their players giving a 100%.

We are in a strong position and this league isn’t finished yet, we need to focus on us and only us.

Betting still open on skybet. He’s dropped to 1.17/1(dec) on there. Howe was at 1.29/1 at his lowest the other day.

In the off chance that the Mirror is correct, let's have a quick look at how things went for Benitez last season:

Manager of Dalian Pro.

League consists of 2 Groups of 8 teams, who play each team in their group home and away. Top 4 from each group then play for final positions 1st to 8th and bottom 4 from each group then play for final positions 9th to 16th in a home/away cup format style.

Main league - Finished 7th out of 8 teams. P.14 W.2 D.5 L.7 Pts.11. Finished 23 points behind the leaders (sound familiar?).

Play-Offs - Won their first tie 3-2 on agg, which meant they would finish between 9th & 12th. Lost their next 2 ties, so finished 12th.

Chinese FA Cup - Lost 4-0 in the 1st Round.

Also lost their last League Play-Off game 4-0.

Benitez left by mutual consent (a polite way of saying he was sacked).

Not quite the tactical genius who can turn any team of mediocre players into winners.

I think what folk ought to remember is that Benitez will be wanting more than what Neil Lennon got for transfers (they spent £14m on transfers this year). Benitez on his own will be an expensive appointment and I doubt they can afford both his hefty wage and a substantial transfer budget. Especially now that they haven't been in the Champions League for 3 years and most likely won't qualify next year either given that they will no longer go through the Champions route of qualifying. Instead of Cluj and Ferencvaros it'll be the likes of Ajax.

Was he not on a reported £11/£12m contract in China?

I can’t see him going there for absolutely max £1.5/£2m per year when he could get a gig in England paying double or treble.

Unless the scum are throwing the kitchen sink at it and offering him even more than Rodgers.

Just to plays devils advocate here, I remember people doing this routine with Rodgers too, the infamous GioLoyal even proclaimed Warburton would ensure he disappeared back down south with his tail between his legs.

Regardless of Benitez’s stint in China he is a top manager and there’s no sense in trying to do mental gymnastics to convince ourselves otherwise. I don’t think he’s going to end up at the piggery though, having a reputation like his means he’ll get more lucrative offers.

I think what folk ought to remember is that Benitez will be wanting more than what Neil Lennon got for transfers (they spent £14m on transfers this year). Benitez on his own will be an expensive appointment and I doubt they can afford both his hefty wage and a substantial transfer budget. Especially now that they haven't been in the Champions League for 3 years and most likely won't qualify next year either given that they will no longer go through the Champions route of qualifying. Instead of Cluj and Ferencvaros it'll be the likes of Ajax.
I don’t see Benitez going there but their board will have been weighing up the risks of what needs done. The restructure they need and the players they need to bring in is full of very expensive risks. It could be they see paying a manager and allowing him to rebuild the football side as minimising some of that risk so would be worth £6m for the year. It doesn’t take much to save £6m on bad transfers if you need to bring 10 players in. Hopefully they half arse it and throw cash down a black hole.

The filth won't be able to afford his salary let alone the transfer budget he will demand. They need a complete overhaul & I don't think he'll come & try to do it on a normal Scottish budget.

Just to plays devils advocate here, I remember people doing this routine with Rodgers too, the infamous GioLoyal even proclaimed Warburton would ensure he disappeared back down south with his tail between his legs.

Regardless of Benitez’s stint in China he is a top manager and there’s no sense in trying to do mental gymnastics to convince ourselves otherwise. I don’t think he’s going to end up at the piggery though, having a reputation like his means he’ll get more lucrative offers.

Exactly, Benitez was in China to earn a tonne of money not sure he was giving a %^*& about his reputation. If he take son any EPL team I am sure he will do a good job with them. Seems unlikely he will go to Celtic unless they are prepared to spend an absolute fortune on getting him there and transfers which seems unlikely in the current climate.

I don’t see Benitez going there but their board will have been weighing up the risks of what needs done. The restructure they need and the players they need to bring in is full of very expensive risks. It could be they see paying a manager and allowing him to rebuild the football side as minimising some of that risk so would be worth £6m for the year. It doesn’t take much to save £6m on bad transfers if you need to bring 10 players in. Hopefully they half arse it and throw cash down a black hole.
I think the question is would Celtic be able to meet his transfer kitty demands really.

Not a chance. He’ll get a good EPL job within the next 6 months.

They’ll scapegoat Lennon for the failure of this season and bring in someone else on the cheap. Probably Jack Ross
How many epl jobs will be availiable within the next 6 months?

:D :D :D

Brenda came here to restore his reputation knowing he would get two season’s worth of free hits at a weakened Rangers.

Gerrard came here to build a reputation.

Do people seriously believe Rafa Benitez is going to gamble his reputation at Hamilton’s half finished stadium and the plastic pitch at The Tony Macaroni Arena?

They do need to try and make a statement signing to stop their season ticket sales going through the floor, but a man who could take his pick of half the Premiership jobs, and at a host of top clubs in Europe isn’t coming to Scotland.

And anyway, even if Fritzel did take a mad turn and stump up the tens of millions that it would take for him to come and have a look, I have complete confidence that the team we have in place would better anything they could throw at us.

Last edited:
:D :D :D

Brenda came here to restore his reputation knowing he would get two season’s worth of free hits at a weakened Rangers.

Gerrard came here to build a reputation.

Do people seriously Rafa Benitez is going to gamble his reputation at Hamilton’s half finished stadium and the plastic pitch at The Tony Macaroni Arena?

They do need to try and make a statement signing to stop their season ticket sales going through the floor, but a man who could take his pick of half the Premiership jobs and at a host of top clubs in Europe isn’t coming to Scotland.

If Fritzel did take a mad turn and stump up the tens of millions that it would take for him to come and have a look, I have complete confidence that the team we have in place would better anything they could throw at us.
Came on the thread to post but canny actually say anything better than this post! Brilliant mate.

Pretend for a second this is actually true.

They decided to go for 10 (9.75) with Neic. Spend millions and get absolutely destroyed by Gerrard/Rangers

They then go all out and get Benitez for the meaningless season after the fact (to them)

I think that may be even funnier :))

Are they going to hire a manager who is used to getting £5M a year at Newcastle and £12M a year in China?
Are they going to empty everything they’ve got on him?
Not in a mullein years!

Being serious for a moment, if they did get him it instantly gives them a far better chance in euro qualifiers. He might not be up to gutting and revolutionising their football department, but he'd do them a turn in Europe imo.
He'd be costly, but low risk considering his pedigree as opposed to a cheaper, higher risk option.

I don't think it will happen but will be happy to see it totally rubbished.

Very decent manager. ... Going to septic. No chance .

Firstly. No way they paying circa £5 mill a year

2 They don't have millions to give him to spend

3. He will get much better offers Europe wide
4 it's. Septic
5. He's not daft

More likely to go back to Newcastle. Ashley (c*nt) and the fat Spanish waiter reunited in time to get the geordies back on side and fleece them with season ticket renewals.

Not a chance. He’ll get a good EPL job within the next 6 months.

They’ll scapegoat Lennon for the failure of this season and bring in someone else on the cheap. Probably Jack Ross
With both Chelsea and Arsenal, at least, positions far from secure, I'm sure he'll wait and see first.
That's before you consider continental possibilities.

Back