Berahino and Benson Linked

Enough of the waster Berahino, what about the other guy?

23 year old. Belgian u21 international. Primarily plays as a right winger/forward. Cost Antwerp a reported £2.7m last Summer from Genk, where he'd done pretty well. The OP says their Manager is desperate to keep him but he only started 7 league games out of 29 last season, coming on as a sub in another 7. Didn't play a full 90 minutes in any league game. 1 goal and 2 assists. Doesn't sound like someone the Manager would be 'desperate' to hang onto. Seems to be called Benson Manuel rather than Manuel Benson as reported.

All from Transfermarkt.

Any more info on him?

Enough of the waster Berahino, what about the other guy?

23 year old. Belgian u21 international. Primarily plays as a right winger/forward. Cost Antwerp a reported £2.7m last Summer from Genk, where he'd done pretty well. The OP says their Manager is desperate to keep him but he only started 7 league games out of 29 last season, coming on as a sub in another 7. Didn't play a full 90 minutes in any league game. 1 goal and 1 assist. Doesn't sound like someone the Manager would be 'desperate' to hang onto.

All from Transfermarkt.

Any more info on him?
Their fans say he is a good team player in that he loves dribbling and passing, but means he rarely shoots and that if he works on his end product and adds numbers to his game he can end up a top player. Supposedly he can be a bit predictable as he often is indecisive in how he plays, but is pretty two footed so can go round the outside or cut in. Also said for the little amount he plays, he does always play well. Sounds like a good player but maybe not what we need, we are crying out for goals in our team.

I chatted to a guy who was on the Stoke backroom staff , he said berahino was proposed to be cut by the then manager ,along with 3 others , who I can’t remember , only to be overruled by the board .

Nothing good happened for the manager , board , team or berahino .

I mean I suppose Berahino could be viewed, playing-wise, as a younger version of Defoe so I see the appeal there.

Sadly, mentality-wise, he has been an absolute liability his whole career.

Last edited:
Berahino is damaged goods. Went from being a hot prospect in English football to a player with serious problems. If the wages were reasonable then possibly worth a punt, but you just don't know whether he's going to be committed or if he should be committed.

Damaged goods is where you should have stopped

Berahino would be a massive bullseye target for us up here. Look at the grief Morelos gets on and off the park. They try to undermine every success we have by putting a massive negative spin on it. Plus I don't think he would be up to kick unless he's had a personality transplant.

If the headline ‘Benson for Teds’ isn’t used for this rumour, then sports journalism is well and truly dead in this country.

usual youtube highlight of Manuel Benson it's 2 years old though so no idea what he was like last season

Berahino could be a good signing if he's screwed the nut, motivated and shows he's working hard to get his career back on track, as he does have talent, could not find anything on youtube with the team he's in now though

Talented player that will only realise what he could have been when his career is over and he has missed the opportunity to write himself in to the football history books.

Sad that so much money is flung at young players that completely ruins them.

Berahino seems to have grown up a lot in Belgium. Would be another gamble though.

Looked a very good prospect at WBA aswell.

Silly season complete with silly rumors

Based on everything thats happened in his career both on and off the field up to this point Berahino would seem like an absolutely crazy signing

Not that I believe we would be after him though

I'll trust Gerrard if he rates Berahino.

If he's had his demons it'll be interesting to see the presses over reaction to his signing...

Rangers please stay as far as possible away from Berahino. His career, if it can be called that, is of someone who has milked each club he has been at for as much ss possible whilst giving almost nothing back in return.

Berahino could of been a great player, classic example of having the skill but not the attitude. The Gers jersey would weigh him down. Not what we need.

Can’t believe Berahino is only 26, seems to have be around a lot longer.

He had talent but I don’t think he’s shown anything of note for a long time (although haven’t seen anything of his short spell in Belgium).

Not heard of the other guy.

Guess it’s good we’re scouting promising markets like this, even if it’s not the 2 names linked.

Belgium is a market we should have been keeping an eye on long before now. But Berahino is a waster.
There's a good few leagues out there that are on average a better quality than ours but below us as a club. These are the ones we should be looking at as we should be able to tempt players from there. Places like Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Croatia etc are all producing a good standard of player and should be reasonably priced. I imagine we are scouting these places but perhaps could focus more attention. There's little use in us looking towards England anymore, the crazy prem prices are filtering down into the championship and league one

Berahino is a fantastic player and if theres one person that could get him to behave, work harder, focus on football, id say its our manager.

Based on 1 good season at WBA 6 years ago ?

I'd be confident saying Berahino is exactly the type of player our (famously judgemental manager) would think is a lady's front bottom

you dont like the manager ?

Of course I do, but SG is notorious for not taking long to decide if a player was a fud our not at Liverpool and had no time for folk like Berahino.

I don't here's looking at a lad who's been a problem at every club he's ever been say and thinking "I want some of that"

Of course I do, but SG is notorious for not taking long to decide if a player was a fud our not at Liverpool and had no time for folk like Berahino.

I don't here's looking at a lad who's been a problem at every club he's ever been say and thinking "I want some of that"

You might well be right there maybe he isnt interested and the story is garbage, really good player though dont think there can be any doubt about that part.

VoetbalNieuws is trash btw. They're on the level of shitty twitter accounts when it comes to reliability in rumours.

No way we're in for Berahino.

Benson is a different matter. He plays for my local club and is a decent player. Didn't play much though but when he did he often made a good impact.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/12/18/verslag-van-standard-antwerp-in-de-beker-van-belgie~1576710994257/ For his goal in the cup, 7:29 :)
Do you think Miyoshi would be worth scouting also?

100%

He's a good player.
Looks like a good option to go for if we cannot get Vydra, a sort of second striker type that can score and dribble with a bit of pace. Lamkel Ze looks a great player as well but he looks like a bit of a psycho hahaha

Looks like a good option to go for if we cannot get Vydra, a sort of second striker type that can score and dribble with a bit of pace. Lamkel Ze looks a great player as well but he looks like a bit of a psycho hahaha

Ze would be amazing to have but he'd be sent off all the time. Another Alfredo :D

Reactions: LD5
We get linked with Berahino every year never happening unless he’s turned himself in to a model pro in Belgium. Don’t know much about the other guy.

I mean I suppose Berahino could be viewed, playing-wise, as a younger version of Defoe so I see the appeal there.

Sadly, mentality-wise, he has been an absolute liability his whole career.
His goal scoring record is rotten though. So that’s a big difference from Defoe.

Heard a few ex team mates say Berhinho is a waster and has a terrible attitude. Am sure it was Glenn Johnson who said he done things like turn up late and generally go against the grain just to be a knob.

VoetbalNieuws is trash btw. They're on the level of shitty twitter accounts when it comes to reliability in rumours.

No way we're in for Berahino.

Benson is a different matter. He plays for my local club and is a decent player. Didn't play much though but when he did he often made a good impact.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/12/18/verslag-van-standard-antwerp-in-de-beker-van-belgie~1576710994257/ For his goal in the cup, 7:29 :)
Obviously his numbers aren't great but if we can get that kind of quality in that goal he scored out him regularly he would be just what we need

Only skimmed the thread, but seen a lot of negative comments. I am sure I see an interview a few months ago saying he was back on track? Could be worth considering, when he first hit the scene he was super talented.

Can't see there being any truth in being interested in Berahino.

I think what happened with Lafferty would stop Gerrard going for wayward players that clearly aren't very bright up top.

I'd steer clear of Berahino. He was good for 6 months in the premier league. Better players from the prem have failed to impress in Scotland.

Also, I played football with someone who played at West Brom with Berahino up until 18, and he was surprised Berahino made the step to first team.

Berahino would be a Carlos Pena signing imo. The boy is a wee dick who has wasted the talents he has.

We need hungry players, committed to their profession, that want to win, not some inflated ego wee bellend who probably thinks he's doing us a favour gracing us with his presence.

Back