Bernardo Silva coming under fire

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
You’ve got to wonder what the feck he was thinking tweeting this, especially in this day and age (for anyone who may miss it, the kid is a young Mendy)

EFGrnFuXkAEWtkE

When he was criticised for it he tweeted something to the effect of “cant even have a joke with a friend now...sigh”.

What is the cartoon figure though? It’s a silly thing for a high profile person to do, irrespective of motive, which I don’t believe to be racist.

Not sure I understand why you're not allowed to say a black person looks like another black person or character.

Sergio Aguero is nicknamed Kun after a cartoon character he's meant to look like.

People getting offended on behalf of someone who isn't actually offended.

It’s racist.

Comparing a picture of a black kid to the Conguitos logo, which is a brand of chocolate peanut in Spain - little naked black men, chocolate peanuts, get it? - is quite a racist thing to do.

If I did that in my work I’d be sacked.

You can argue til your blue in the face about political correctness gone mad, but that’s how it is now I’m afraid.

It’s racist.

It’s racist.

Comparing a picture of a black kid to the Conguitos logo, which is a brand of chocolate peanut in Spain - little naked black men, chocolate peanuts, get it? - is quite a racist thing to do.

You can argue til your blue in the face about political correctness gone mad, but that’s how it is now I’m afraid.

It’s racist.

So it's the actual cartoon that's racist then? Why is it racist to think it looks like someone?

It’s racist.

It’s racist.
Is it racist ?

Definition of racist is "showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another. "

Where did he discriminate, prejudice or suggest inferiority of race by posting that pic ?

He also posted a video saying there's a naked world cup winner walking about, then Mendy appeared wearing a black t shirt and black shorts and he asked him, "why are you naked?"

It’s racist.

It’s racist.
U on the PVA glue

What's racist about it? He thinks Mendy looks like that wee cartoon character. Big deal.

ive been staring at the picture a while trying to figure out what I’m missing

it’s a wee cartoon figure who looks like mendy as a kid almost like we have emojis now

is it simply that the cartoon figure is black ? Should he have used a white cartoon figure ?

im at a loss as to what I’m supposed to be offended by , it seems mendy isn’t bothered , what are other people seeing in that picture that the rest of us aren’t ?

Is it racist ?

Definition of racist is "showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another. "

Where did he discriminate, prejudice or suggest inferiority of race by posting that pic ?

Try that in your workplace and use the same argument when HR drag you in and see how far you get.

He was daft to post it - people are desperate to find offence wherever they can and that picture was always going to be jumped on. Do I think he’s racist for doing it? No chance.

So you can't answer, fair enough didn't think you would be able to

You can argue all you like about what you believe the definition is and why you don’t think that should be applied in this case, but the fact remains that a white guy posting a picture of black guy saying he looks like a little cartoon negro is by most people’s definition not an acceptable thing to be doing nowadays.

As I say, if you don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, have at it in your workplace and see how far you get.

So would it be racist if it was the other way round?

Like it Mendy compared Silva to the milky bar kid for example.

You can argue all you like about what you believe the definition is and why you don’t think that should be applied in this case, but the fact remains that a white guy posting a picture of black guy saying he looks like a little cartoon negro is by most people’s definition not an acceptable thing to be doing nowadays.

As I say, if you don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, have at it in your workplace and see how far you get.

Genuine question...would you feel the same if it was Mendy posting about Silva?

Just because it's not acceptable in many workplaces doesn't mean what you're saying is right.

Most companies these days are terrified of bad publicity, law suits, and what effect these things have on their reputation, to the point that they are ridiculously over-zealous when it comes to sensitive issues like racism and sexism.

The posters above are correct...if this was a black man making fun of a white man for looking like, let's say The Milky Bar Kid, no one would bat an eyelid, but as soon as it's a white man saying something (anything) about a black man, the frowns appear and it's "you can't say that".

The fact that the person who the joke was about is not offended should end any debate on the subject.

Reactions: TQ3
Back