Bernardo Silva coming under fire

Just because it's not acceptable in many workplaces doesn't mean what you're saying is right.

Most companies these days are terrified of bad publicity, law suits, and what effect these things have on their reputation, to the point that they are ridiculously over-zealous when it comes to sensitive issues like racism and sexism.

The posters above are correct...if this was a black man making fun of a white man for looking like, let's say The Milky Bar Kid, no one would bat an eyelid, but as soon as it's a white man saying something (anything) about a black man, the frowns appear and it's "you can't say that".

The fact that the person who the joke was about is not offended should end any debate on the subject.

This is a bigger debate that probably needs to be in The Lounge, but I’m not arguing the pros and cons of the criteria that determines this, I’m arguing that rightly or wrongly this is how it is and that’s why Silva is getting pelters.

If you’re genuinely aggrieved, start your own campaign to bring back harmless racist fun like the Robertson’s Gollywog and Love Thy Neighbour.

It used to be okay singing songs about being up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood but we can’t do that now either.

We may not like it, but it’s just how it is.

If it makes you upset, get out there and change it.

This is a bigger debate that probably needs to be in The Lounge, but I’m not arguing the pros and cons of the criteria that determines this, I’m arguing that rightly or wrongly this is how it is and that’s why Silva is getting pelters.

If you’re genuinely aggrieved, start your own campaign to bring back harmless racist fun like the Robertson’s Gollywog and Love Thy Neighbour.

It used to be okay singing songs about being up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood but we can’t do that now either.

We may not like it, but it’s just how it is.

If it makes you upset, get out there and change it.

It doesn't make me upset in the slightest, I just think it's pathetic

You can argue all you like about what you believe the definition is and why you don’t think that should be applied in this case, but the fact remains that a white guy posting a picture of black guy saying he looks like a little cartoon negro is by most people’s definition not an acceptable thing to be doing nowadays.

As I say, if you don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, have at it in your workplace and see how far you get.

Wait a minute. It’s only racist because it’s a white guy who’s posted it? So if Fernandinho had done the same thing it wouldn’t be racist because it’s a black guy posting it about another black guy?

Sounds racist towards the white man posting, that does.

Yeah there was a video going about a few months back which he posted himself on social media making a joke about Mendy. It’s obviously a joke but should be keeping that in-house and not on social media.

Not sure that’s even funny.

Isn't that what Social Media is about? Why do you come on here to talk football instead of just chatting to your mates about it?

I come on here to have a general chat with other Gers fans. If I want to "have a joke with my friend" I don't spread it to the whole world.

You can argue all you like about what you believe the definition is and why you don’t think that should be applied in this case, but the fact remains that a white guy posting a picture of black guy saying he looks like a little cartoon negro is by most people’s definition not an acceptable thing to be doing nowadays.

As I say, if you don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, have at it in your workplace and see how far you get.
I see you've downgraded your racist claim to not acceptable to most people, funnily enough your usage of "Negro" is probably as unacceptable as the picture

We are all so uptight now & it’s grinding.

Silva should have known the right on lunatics would be all over it & not posted it.

Having said that it would be brilliant if he just stuck two fingers up at the offence mongers & ignored them like we all should have done before it became too late.

You're being presumptuous, maybe he thinks his cock looks like a little chocolate peanut ? That would buck the trend of everyone stereotyping about blacks and big cocks and should be applauded.

Considering the person in the joke (Mendy) wasn't offended, why are people getting offended on his behalf?
Because society has brainwashed them that this is not allowed and is unacceptable, therefore they must speak up about it.

Never mind the guy who the 'joke' was in reference to, he doesn't give a shit...

Or maybe they feel they have to speak up for him, as he is an oppressed minority (who just happens to be a famous footballer who is rolling in money, and could voice his opinion to a wide public audience about it any time he felt like doing so....IF he felt like doing so).

You've been brainwashed mate. He thinks he looks like the character. Big deal.

There is nothing discriminatory about it. Therefore not racist. Just because other HR departments etc are scared of upsetting people doesn't make it racist.

Was the Holocaust the right thing to do in the 1930s just because lots of people in power said it was?

Hello! Still awaiting an answer to my question in post 57?

If Fernandinho had posted the picture it wouldn’t have been racist, no. You can surely understand the difference?

Had Silva posted a picture of another black kid who looked a bit like Mendy that probably wouldn’t have been deemed racist either, but he chose to post a little stereotypical caricature of an African tribesman saying, “That’s you that is”, which is quite a racist thing to do, especially on social media where other people, some of them even black people believe it or not, are likely to take offence.

Two dozen blokes on a football messageboard getting hot under the collar about political correctness gone mad isn’t going to change that.

You've been brainwashed mate. He thinks he looks like the character. Big deal.

There is nothing discriminatory about it. Therefore not racist. Just because other HR departments etc are scared of upsetting people doesn't make it racist.

Was the Holocaust the right thing to do in the 1930s just because lots of people in power said it was?

What are you on about?

If Fernandinho had posted the picture it wouldn’t have been racist, no. You can surely understand the difference?

Had Silva posted a picture of another black kid who looked a bit like Mendy that probably wouldn’t have been deemed racist either, but he chose to post a little stereotypical caricature of an African tribesman saying, “That’s you that is”, which is quite a racist thing to do, especially on social media where other people, some of them even black people believe it or not, are likely to take offence.

Two dozen blokes on a football messageboard getting hot under the collar about political correctness gone mad isn’t going to change that.

So it’s not racist if Fernandinho posts exactly the same message as Silva has done. And it’s deemed racist purely because of the colour of Silva’s skin as a result. Seems pretty racist mate.

You could put a pic of say George w Bush or Gareth Bale beside a chimp and people would laugh but if you put a black guy next to a chimp/gorilla all hell breaks loose.

So I was racist when I called Naisy the Milky Bar Kid? Of course not. It's only POC who need defended by a mob largely made of privileged white people on twitter.

Silva should get off with it though as he exactly white himself. He will have the defence of being 1/80th Berber or something.

Do we qualify as "progressive" if we want to throw the book at Silva for this?

Very naiive of Silva in today's climate but unless you're a fully signed up lefty idealogue this isn't exactly a big deal.

Last edited:
Do we qualify as "progressive" if we want to throw the book at Silva for this?

Very naiive of Silva in today's climate but unless your a fully signed up lefty idealogue this isn't exactly a big deal.
If Mendy isn't bothered by it why would anyone else be?

It’s racist.

Comparing a picture of a black kid to the Conguitos logo, which is a brand of chocolate peanut in Spain - little naked black men, chocolate peanuts, get it? - is quite a racist thing to do.

If I did that in my work I’d be sacked.

You can argue til your blue in the face about political correctness gone mad, but that’s how it is now I’m afraid.

It’s racist.

Away and take your face for a shite ffs

See all these times I get pictures of PC Plum sent to me if any non white send it I'll get straight onto hr. Don't be so ridiculous. See when people shout my HR would do this or that....this just leads to sheep mentality.

Back