Bernardo Silva coming under fire

spanish-cartoon.jpg

Bernardo doesn't care ayayayay

Always fun to see white, middle aged Scottish blokes telling the world what is and isn't offensive to black people.

I’m somewhere in the middle. I think the general reaction to things like that is pathetic and white people getting offended “for show” makes me cringe. In saying that we’ve quite a few folk on here who still think it’s 1950 and have very questionable views. They always stand out like a sore thumb in the lounge in particular.

I did cringe when someone mentioned “white privilege” though.

What is the cartoon figure though? It’s a silly thing for a high profile person to do, irrespective of motive, which I don’t believe to be racist.
Its the logo for a spanish brand of chocolate peanuts. Conguitos roughly means 'little Congans' but it's a pretty massive brand across spain and has been around for years.

It’s racist.

Comparing a picture of a black kid to the Conguitos logo, which is a brand of chocolate peanut in Spain - little naked black men, chocolate peanuts, get it? - is quite a racist thing to do.

If I did that in my work I’d be sacked.

You can argue til your blue in the face about political correctness gone mad, but that’s how it is now I’m afraid.

It’s racist.

According to who? You?

The MOPES ?

The Snow flakes ?

All aboard the offended bus..... yawn !

In my old work my good pal was Asian and he called us honkies and we called him names.
All banter and still a dear friend.

This country is totally fu.cked with utter fannies.

That banter is inhouse though and presumably everyone is of the same sense of humour.

It's very different to posting something on social media which people may find offensive, as has been mentioned before if that's the banter in the City changing room then I am sure he could have posted it in their WhatsApp group and got a few laughing emojis.

That banter is inhouse though and presumably everyone is of the same sense of humour.

It's very different to posting something on social media which people may find offensive, as has been mentioned before if that's the banter in the City changing room then I am sure he could have posted it in their WhatsApp group and got a few laughing emojis.

Anyone who finds that offensive is an idiot though and their views should be dismissed as being wrong as it misrepresents what real racism actually is.

He think he looks like the character. That's it. Same as a white man may look like a white cartoon character, etc.

My opinion is that yes, this is racist, but due to the brazen nature of him posting it on Twitter he's either A) culturally unaware of it or B) very naive.

There is the outside chance that he's a raging racist but I doubt it.

People make mistakes, no big deal.

Anyone who finds that offensive is an idiot though and their views should be dismissed as being wrong as it misrepresents what real racism actually is.

He think he looks like the character. That's it. Same as a white man may look like a white cartoon character, etc.

I don't know. I get what you're saying but I don't think it is that simple.

Imagine your a young black kid in an all white school in Manchester now and everyone has seen that joke on Social Media and now they are all calling you the same cartoon character?

In this day and age I think it's best to leave anything that could be misrepresented off social media.

Imagine your a young black kid in an all white school in Manchester now and everyone has seen that joke on Social Media and now they are all calling you the same cartoon character?

In this day and age I think it's best to leave anything that could be misrepresented off social media.

But it's not racism to think that someone looks like a cartoon character. Racism is when you are discriminating against people based on their race or colour. He just thinks that character looks like him.

In my old work my good pal was Asian and he called us honkies and we called him names.
All banter and still a dear friend.

This country is totally fu.cked with utter fannies.
Yeah, but if you were a figure in the public eye, you'd have to be insane to post on Twitter these "names" you called the Asian guy.

But it's not racism to think that someone looks like a cartoon character. Racism is when you are discriminating against people based on their race or colour. He just thinks that character looks like him.

Yeah but given the history of the character (and the country of origin, racism is still rife in spain) you surely must concede that there are racial connotations there that were always going to make it an issue.

There’s a lot more thought required here than simply “complaining = lefty knob heads = snow flakes = bad” which seems to be the simplistic view many take. I don’t think there was anything sinister because it’s two mates, but being famous and sharing it on a public platform was brain dead from Silva.

Yeah but given the history of the character (and the country of origin, racism is still rife in spain) you surely must concede that there are racial connotations there that were always going to make it an issue.

There’s a lot more thought required here than simply “complaining = lefty knob heads = snow flakes = bad” which seems to be the simplistic view many take. I don’t think there was anything sinister because it’s two mates, but being famous and sharing it on a public platform was brain dead from Silva.

There may be conotations but, imo, these people who make such connections need educated that this isn't racism rather than indulged. It demeans what real racism is.

You can never give someone offence, they can only take it (and taking offence for others is a fucking joke)

If Mende had posted a pic of a wee guy with a beard that looked a little like Silva would that be classed as racist?

From pics I have seen these two appear to be very friendly and what is a joke between two friends has been blown out all proportion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Silva pick up some sort of suspension for this which imo will be a joke.

SO if the character was purple he's say the same?

I'm sure that Silva is not racist, if anything a dafty having a good laugh with a dear friend and comrade. I'd say that Silva is probably less racist than 99% majority of the population. I have no time for Guardian hunks who pretend to be offended but have zero friends of anything other than their own likeness.

But, this is not good. It's sending a very poor message. Dehumanizing people of African descent is a scourge on society, it's gone on for years , which doesn't make it okay - and at some point it should have been be cast into history.

How many wee black dudes would be getting called this today at school? There's a responsibility of players not to re-enforce this type of prejudice.

And white privilege doesn't exist. Yes it does.

From pics I have seen these two appear to be very friendly and what is a joke between two friends has been blown out all proportion.

I have little doubt it was a joke between friends, but the decision to post it on Twitter was daft. It's not as if they don't get advice on their use of social media. I really have no sympathy for him.

SO if the character was purple he's say the same?

I'm sure that Silva is not racist, if anything a dafty having a good laugh with a dear friend and comrade. I'd say that Silva is probably less racist than 99% majority of the population. I have no time for Guardian hunks who pretend to be offended but have zero friends of anything other than their own likeness.

But, this is not good. It's sending a very poor message. Dehumanizing people of African descent is a scourge on society, it's gone on for years , which doesn't make it okay - and at some point it should have been be cast into history.

How many wee black dudes would be getting called this today at school? There's a responsibility of players not to re-enforce this type of prejudice.

And white privilege doesn't exist. Yes it does.

But Mendy isn't purple. He is black as is the character. He thinks he looks like him. That's it.

Dehumanising ffs.

Maybe you need to look up what racism is mate. Because it ain't this.

You've just created a wild hypothetical situation based on a single tweet though. IF your situation was to happen then fair enough, but it was a harmless joke between teammates.

Shit like this takes away from actual racism that still exists and serious incidents that should be condemned.

People just want to be offended on everyone else's behalf nowadays.

But Mendy isn't purple. He is black as is the character. He thinks he looks like him. That's it.

Dehumanising ffs.

Maybe you need to look up what racism is mate. Because it ain't this.

What I'm saying is that, IMHO, it's the color of the skin that is the first identifying feature of the character in this tweet. If it was purple, he wouldn't be comparing it to his team mate.

Comparing a black person to this character is as dehumanizing as a golliwog or throwing bananas.

You can argue all you like about what you believe the definition is and why you don’t think that should be applied in this case, but the fact remains that a white guy posting a picture of black guy saying he looks like a little cartoon negro is by most people’s definition not an acceptable thing to be doing nowadays.

As I say, if you don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, have at it in your workplace and see how far you get.
Mate, if you want to jump on the politically correct offended bus using phrases like “cartoon negro” probably isn’t the best place to start.

What I'm saying is that, IMHO, it's the color of the skin that is the first identifying feature of the character in this tweet. If it was purple, he wouldn't be comparing it to his team mate.

Comparing a black person to this character is as dehumanizing as a golliwog or throwing bananas.

He wouldn't have done it if he was purple because Mendy is black though. He thinks he looks like the character. Part of that likeness is the colour of his skin. Don't read too much into it.

Mendy is black.

The cartoon is black.

Why is it an issue to compare them?

Best Mates at Monaco.... Best mates in Manchester bantering .....Why are 3rd party (self-loathing mainly white) nobodies getting all offended on Mendy's behalf? Mendy should respond with a Maddie McCann pic at a window in Silvas house.

Can somebody explain to me how this is racist.

Because it’s been posted in the Uber offended social media space in the year 2019 when political correctness has gone way overboard.

It’s not actually racist, but many will have you believe it is. We had someone earlier on in this thread telling me it was only racist cause it was a white man (Silva) who’d posted it, and it wouldn’t have been racist if a black man (Fernandinho) had posted the EXACT same tweet. That’s the only real racist thing to have come out of this.

You could put a pic of say George w Bush or Gareth Bale beside a chimp and people would laugh but if you put a black guy next to a chimp/gorilla all hell breaks loose.

Think man, think FFS! Why do you reckon that is?

Some of the folk on this forum...

I have little doubt it was a joke between friends, but the decision to post it on Twitter was daft. It's not as if they don't get advice on their use of social media. I really have no sympathy for him.
In which case the answer isn’t to apologise to everybody but to his friend if he caused them offence.

The world we live in these days. I dont see an issue but many will.

It is like when I watched that Jade Goody docu., yes I know, she got slated for calling that girl Shilpa Popadom.

Thats just like calling me Trev Haggis.

Would that be tarred with the same brush?

If Fernandinho had posted the picture it wouldn’t have been racist, no. You can surely understand the difference?

Had Silva posted a picture of another black kid who looked a bit like Mendy that probably wouldn’t have been deemed racist either, but he chose to post a little stereotypical caricature of an African tribesman saying, “That’s you that is”, which is quite a racist thing to do, especially on social media where other people, some of them even black people believe it or not, are likely to take offence.

Two dozen blokes on a football messageboard getting hot under the collar about political correctness gone mad isn’t going to change that.
You’re a zoomer

A bit of banter with his teammate seems to be what was meant but quite honestly, if you are a famous footballer then you probably stick that on a private group on WhatsApp rather than out there for the world to see and criticise on Twitter.

Back