Bert Konterman on Willem II

mdingwall

Administrator
Times-konterman-1-IMG-3213-2.jpg

Times-konterman-2-IMG-3214.jpg

Goal against them, goal in Europe in a 1 off play off.

I cant remember much else or I am trying not to let the memories make me cry.

Konterman was a nightmare at centre half, but actually done not too badly as a DM when called upon by McLeish in that role. I remember an exceptionally snide remark in the sun or record after he got MOTM away to Dunfermline - "that says it all about the game itself" or words to that effect. Think that said a lot about the mentality in this country. We really hate having to give credit after slaughtering folk.

Reactions: dmg
Didnt even look like a footballer, too me that summer was the beginning of the end for Dick and the start of the money problems.
20 million on flo, ricksen and bert.
We could hardly spend half of that 20 years later.

Always remember the documentary following the youth team showed Big Eck watching a reserves match with Bert Van Lingen. Eck says "I love Konterman's passing technique", Bert replies "not always" and Eck quips "no, even when he's passing it straight to the opposition, I always think that's lovely technique".

Cracked me up at the time.

Pound for pound one of advocaat's worst signings. We paid £4m for him if I remember rightly?!

Pound for pound our worst signing ever.

We paid £4m transfer fee, his wages would have been £20k possibly even more per week, he actually won silverware and therefore would have received bonuses.

Without question the worst pound for pound player in my lifetime and that’s before we even question his footballing ability.

A screamer against them doesn’t wipe away the bad memories I have of Big Bomb scare Bert.

Especially at home to Dundee United.

He got pelters that day.
I remember that.. I had my 6 year old daughter with me but couldn’t listen to the booing of the guy next to me. Almost ended up battling with the guy.
One good output from it was my now 26 year old daughter is a dyed in the wool blue nose.

Last edited:
Seemed to play every week despite being completely horrendous. His goal at Hampden was superb however!

Big Berti Bombscare!

How many times has Bert seen Rangers lately to be able to call it ? And that puff piece by the Chief Football Writer is about Bert's career and provides no analysis of the relative strengths/weaknesses of the teams. Scottish Chief Football Writing at its best.

A Dutch International.
Came on to post this. One of those defenders who just wasn't suited to the Scottish game. Came with a cracking pedigree as well. I was really disappointed in him. I have to say, I thought Basil Boli was a bigger disappointment. A guy who won the champions league, scored the winning goal and was absolutely outstanding against us, yet he struggled against Hibs..

You're talking shite. 29 goals in 53 games is a decent return and we still got £6.75m back for him. Worst pound for pound? We've wasted more than that on far less return.

We'd love another striker with that return now.
The loss in 2 years of over £5 miilion pounds.
Wages would have been through the roof for a 12 million pound player.
Maybe scored some goals
Honours with Rangers
A scottish cup and league cup in 2 years.
A really wonderful return.

I still laugh at that goal, the big man was like a scarecrow on acid in most games, but that goal was an absolute rocket. He was a figure of ridicule to the mentally challengeds, and a nightmare for Rangers fans, but that shut the mentally challengeds up in an instant!!
I spent the next week using the words “Big Bert!” as punctuation in almost every sentence I uttered.

The loss in 2 years of over £5 miilion pounds.
Wages would have been through the roof for a 12 million pound player.
Maybe scored some goals
Honours with Rangers
A scottish cup and league cup in 2 years.
A really wonderful return.
Alongside Konterman, I also give you Daniel Prodan, £2.2m loss and countless wages for no return. Stéphane Guivarc'h £3.5m loss and a 5 goal return as well as inflicting a shocking attitude on others, Seb Rozental as well for £4m. Jesper Christiansen was a sheer waste of money.

All of these players offered a hell of a lot less than Flo delivered. 29 goals in 52 is a good output for a flop. We'd be delighted to get a striker with a better than 1 in 2 record now, that's what we get from Alfredo.

Last edited:
If we Dick hadn’t have signed him and had got any other decent centre half in instead that season we would probably have won the league that year

Alongside Konterman, I also give you Daniel Prodan, £2.2m loss and countless wages for no return. Stéphane Guivarc'h £3.5m loss and a 5 goal return as well as inflicting a shocking attitude on others, Seb Rozental as well for £4m. Jesper Christiansen was a sheer waste of money.

All of these players offered a hell of a lot less than Flo delivered. 29 goals in 52 is a good output for a flop. We'd be delighted to get a striker with a better than 1 in 2 record now, that's what we get from Alfredo.
You can score goals till the coo s come home, but if there s no league at the end of it thens it a failure for Rangers in a 2 club league.
Flo cost us approx 5 million pounds a year in the lose on transfer and wages.
Return in that team - one scottish cup.
Have you seen the shite thats got to the scottish final in the past 25 years.
Yes, plenty other players have cost a fortune over the years, the list is endless.

I agree bad signing but not a loss as we made our money back, thankfully. Also scored a decisive goal in Dick’s first final.

Back