Bert Konterman

Geedubya

Bert Konterman was mentioned in the Amoruso thread.

Most folk seem have a soft spot for him due to that goal - I don’t (nice goal that it was anyway).

For me, he was simply one of the worst defenders I’ve had to suffer watching Rangers. He had ages to adapt and still kept getting the nod from Advocaat when it was clear he was a liability.

£4.5 outlay and 3 years of suffering that dud took it’s toll on me.

Am I the only one?

Bert Konterman was mentioned in the Amoruso thread.

Most folk seem have a soft spot for him due to that goal - I don’t (nice goal that it was anyway).

For me, he was simply one of the worst defenders I’ve had to suffer watching Rangers. He had ages to adapt and still kept getting the nod from Advocaat when it was clear he was a liability.

£4.5 outlay and 3 years of suffering that dud took it’s toll on me.

Am I the only one?
He wasn't the best.
It was Advocaat that signed him.
Konterman tried.
He gave us that goal.

I think the fact he played midfield under Eck, showed that he wasn’t a defender suited to Scottish football at all.

Scored some belters but.

It sounded like a decent signing on paper - Dutch international with Champions League experience - but I remember watching him for Feyenoord against Chelsea before we were linked and thought he looked awful.

We trusted Advocaat though. His other Dutch imports had excelled so there was no reason to feel differently about Konterman.

In hindsight he was disastrous.

He never really settled but his overall contribution wasn't too bad. Not what we expected but he had plenty good games as well.

Turned down Real Madrid to come to us according to Ronald de Boer.

When you analysed his play he was a good passer of a ball. Plus you had to be decent to get into the Dutch national team.

Dreadful doesn't even begin to describe him. Gets a free pass because of that goal but let's not rewrite history - the vast majority of us couldn't stand him in starting XI

Slow, weak, bottled 50/50's and yet played week in week out under Advocaat. It was a nonsense.

He never really settled but his overall contribution wasn't too bad. Not what we expected but he had plenty good games as well.

Turned down Real Madrid to come to us according to Ronald de Boer.
I honestly thought I was misheard that, I knew he mentioned “Konterman” and “Madrid” in the same sentence but refused to believe it.

I honestly thought I was misheard that, I knew he mentioned “Konterman” and “Madrid” in the same sentence but refused to believe it.

Me too mate. Although I've half defended him in my post in terms of overall contribution, I couldn't believe RdB with that one!

He was always available for selection unlike others who maybe went into hiding when the going got tough. Being a trier is ultimately never good enough.

One of the worst defenders I’ve seen at the club, absolute fraud of a player and 1 goal doesn’t even begin to tip those scales

My mate was doing a delivery to Ibrox years ago and he heard someone whistling the sash and when he turned round it was the bold Bert walking past him, whistling away to his hearts content.

Poor player for us and definitely not the type needed against St Martins brutes,shifted into midfield by big Eck where he never convinced most
Was probably on fantastic wages and is the main reason he lasted 3 seasons

He probably would have been better in a more technical league. As above, he wouldn’t have got into the dutch side if he didn’t have something about him. He probably done things a lot of fans miss like his discipline/fitness and positioning etc, and thats why Advocaat rated him, who knows. Our league was too physical for him and he liked time on the ball which you don’t get here. He was up against Sutton and Hartson for example who were all elbows and he didn’t fancy it. I remember he got dogs abuse in one game for going for a header from a kick out and ducking out it, he felt the wrath of Ibrox after that. Big letdown for the outlay.

The alarm bell started for me in a match at Rugby Park where an ageing over weight Ally McCoist gave him a chasing, lo and behold we follow that up with a car crash performance at Parkhead where his bottling of a 50/50 with Larsson leading to a goal is just about the most cringe worthy defending I've seen.

And to think we were playing Craig Moore at right back! Craig might not have been a defender to be thought of in the same breath as Butcher and Gough but by God Craig could tackle an opponent.

Back