Bertie auld

My Ma and Da are both in care with this horrible illness.
I wish both would pass away in their sleep as it's nothing but an existence.

F.uckin heartbreaking and don't get me started on rules for visiting.
No seen my Ma in 14 months, yet I can visit my Da because I'm the nominated visitor for him.

My sister is nominated visitor for my Ma yet can't see my Da.
My big Bro can see neither.

F.uckin pathetic.

So sorry to hear that mate.

That is absolutely tragic.

No seen my Ma in 14 months, yet I can visit my Da because I'm the nominated visitor for him.

F.uckin pathetic.

Went through the same with my auld dear a year past april mate, no visitors at all and she died with no family there, breaks my heart thinking about it.

As others have said I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

F.uckin pathetic.
I couldn’t imagine that. My pal is in a similar position. Stay strong mate. Thoughts are with you FB.

F.uckin pathetic.
Hard times for you, bud, At least though, you have siblings to share the burden?
Remember the good times with your parents, thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear that, he may have played for Celtic, but so what. The poor man has dementia a truly awful syndrome. I know how his family feel, my wee granda had it and the decline was rapid with him.

Never great to get it at any stage but better to get it in your 80s or 90s when you've lived most of your life. My dad died with it at age 69 this year. Horrible disease and feel for his family.

Granny suffers from this disease and it breaks my heart to even visit her now as she doesn’t even recognise me or speak anything meaningful at times, my mum and my auntie had only seen her once on Christmas Day up until the easing of restrictions think 1 or 2 have been allowed up since easing it’s a terrible disease.

An abhorrent illness. Seen family members succumb to it.
As horrible to witness for the family members as for the actual victim.
Sympathies to all involved.

F.uckin pathetic.
That's absilutely tragic. It's a bastard of a thing.

Best wishes to all of your family. Sounds awful for everyone.

F.uckin pathetic.
Mate, that is feckin disgraceful. Something needs to give here. Must be total hell for your brother. Feckin outrageous. What feckin science made these rules. Sincerely hope this gets sorted soon.
You take care pal.

F.uckin pathetic.
Ffs mate, that’s a tough one to take. Thoughts are with you, can’t imagine being in that position.
Keep the chin up and hang in there.

Sadly yet another statistic of footballers from that era.
I watched Bertie Auld during his career, I can't actually remember him heading a ball very much.
Indeed, his game was all about the ball on the floor.
So what kind of statistic are you referring to?

Last edited:

F.uckin pathetic.
This infuriates me. Anger is not the word. Frustration is the low end of the scale.
I was the same, late last year with my mother, who was suffering with lung cancer and dementia and my sister was the only “nominated person” who could visit. She was moved from the hospital to a care home . Yea.
I was not allowed in to her hospice and could only see her through a window.
Watching through the window as she deteriorated.
Horrible disease, and I don’t say this lightly, Bertie is better away.

No lover of Auld but wouldn’t wish this on anyone. My wee mum riddled with dementia , it’s a fkn horrible disease turning once proud people into wrecks. Horrible absolutely horrible.

On a side note, I met Aulds wife, sister & grand daughter on holiday years ago and they were good company on the few occasions I ( my family) was with them

This infuriates me. Anger is not the word. Frustration is the low end of the scale.
I was the same, late last year with my mother, who was suffering with lung cancer and dementia and my sister was the only “nominated person” who could visit. She was moved from the hospital to a care home . Yea.
I was not allowed in to her hospice and could only see her through a window.
Watching through the window as she deteriorated.
Horrible disease, and I don’t say this lightly, Bertie is better away.

sadly I agree mate
Don’t mean to sound a Cnut, but if it was an animal it would be humane to put said animal down.

He was a good player. Not so sure about the ‘likeable old character’ bit though.

Wouldn’t wish that illness on anyone though. Horrific.

I lost my mother recently to this dreadful illness and wouldn’t wish it on anyone or the family.

That all said Bertie Auld is an utterly loathsome horrible Auld bastard. I had the misfortune of meeting the drunken mess a few times.

I feel for his family

It is sad and he was a real character and a very good player- but Auld was also one of the most sleekit dirty players of his day. He broke Davie Provan's leg at Ibrox in 1967 when he deliberately came over the top of the ball into Provan's shin.

I was there. Sorry to hear about Bro.Auld if only because of the disease he has and what his family have to go thru.

I watched Bertie Auld during his career, I can't actually remember heading a ball very much.
Indeed, his game was all about the ball on the floor.
So what kind of statistic are you referring to?
I would guess that statistically, the vast majority of sufferers have never headed a football in their lives.

(And why are ex-footballers cited so often and not ex-boxers?)

When are restrictions of care home visiting gonna end because going my our current government logic it’s never . There’s always gonna be a minority of residents unvaccinated due to either them or their families refusing it or care home staff that refuse it. There’s never gonna be a point care homes are 100% safe. You can just imagine the headlines if some resident dies due to no limit on number of visitors

My auld dear has got Vascular Dementia it's heartbreaking watching someone become pretty much a ghost of themselves. :(
My mother has the same type, heart breaking talking to her on the phone, I keep praying she remembers me every time I call. I will be on the first flight home as soon as they lift restrictions.

No lover of Auld but wouldn’t wish this on anyone. My wee mum riddled with dementia , it’s a fkn horrible disease turning once proud people into wrecks. Horrible absolutely horrible.

On a side note, I met Aulds wife, sister & grand daughter on holiday years ago and they were good company on the few occasions I ( my family) was with them
I know the guys granddaughter. His family are having a tough time at the moment & this will not be helping them 1 bit. Having lost my Grandfather to dementia they have my utmost sympathy.

I would guess that statistically, the vast majority of sufferers have never headed a football in their lives.

(And why are ex-footballers cited so often and not ex-boxers?)
My mother and the majority of her siblings all suffered from this terrible disease.
None of them headed a football as they were all women from a period when women hardly played the game.
I suspect it is genetic, which isn't good news for me, although most of them became ill well into their eighties.

F.uckin pathetic.
That is heart breaking mate.

I met him years ago when he was manager of Partick Thistle.

He said I could get a game for them.

He was making a joke since I had a broken leg and was on crutches at the time.

He didn't laugh when I said I'd probably be better than some of the players that he had!

Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. It will be his family that suffer, not him. He will be blissfully unaware in due course and will be away in his own wee world.

My father has this horrible disease and it is utterly devastating slowly watching your loved one disappear over time.
Absolutely feel for you, my mother has dementia and lives with my wife and I, she has no idea who or where she is.

F.uckin pathetic.
Sorry to hear of your plight mate.

Just a thought, but is there any way that you and your sister could take a laptop or tablet in to visit and have a video call so that everyone could virtually see each other, including your big brother (assuming you all have a capable device)?

The Missus’s aunt has dementia and we have had Zoom calls with her during lockdown and whilst we have to do the usual patient repetition, her aunt really enjoys the video calls.

Sad to hear of anyone with that horrible disease and think it was only highlighted because of his past.
The disease seems to affect many in the 80+ age group and Bertie may well have developed it anyway.
When it affects younger people who have played the game it seems more tragic.

F.uckin pathetic.
That’s an awful situation and outrageous, scandalous in fact that restrictions like this are in place.
I hope the situation gets sorted very soon and at least allow some proper and unrestricted visits.

Back