Best all round player you have seen in a Rangers strip

Boldvale

Official Ticketer
Not wanting to derail the cup final scorer thread, so starting this one. Best all rounder you have seen playing for us. In my opinion its Derek Johnstone by a country mile. He was lethal up front, a classy and formidable centre half and a more than capable midfielder. Thoughts?

Sandy Jardine or Derek Johnstone,, Sandy could play up front as well as defence, scored some good goals, his goal in the Skol cup final was a cracker, the one where Davie juggled the ball, Big DJ for obvious reasons probably shades it for me, he could even play in goals.

Barry Ferguson. Had it all for one so young. Incredible passing, tackling, goals but a sheer will to win. A drive in a player that hasn't been seen since in a Rangers jersey imo.

Anyone who doesn't say DJ didn't see him. He was untouchable in recent history as an all rounder.

If I was 130 years old I would say John Kitey McPherson, of the 1890s and 1900s was the ultimate all round footballer.
He played every outfield position for Rangers and even also started a game in goal.

When Rangers were 50 years old, he was voted by the fans as our best ever player.

Yep, one that could slot into any position and not look out of place.

barry Ferguson was the best all round player, in my time (I’m 36. I’ve never seen Derek johnstone play for us).

An all round player is one who has the capabilities to do everything on the pitch. Such as defend and attack.

I assume you’re wanting to know who was more versatile

barry Ferguson was the best all round player, in my time (I’m 36. I’ve never seen Derek johnstone play for us).

An all round player is one who has the capabilities to do everything on the pitch. Such as defend and attack.

I assume you’re wanting to know who was more versatile

I picked other players who played in various positions, but your correct....in terms of doing all the basics in football well, it’s Ferguson (perhaps even by a fair bit)

John Greig MBE. Played in a variety of positions and was great in them all.
After the Legend would be Derek Johnstone for me

I picked other players who played in various positions, but your correct....in terms of doing all the basics in football well, it’s Ferguson (perhaps even by a fair bit)

steven gerrard is widely regarded as one of the best all round English footballers of all time.

never seen him at left back, right back, centre forward, left wing, right wing, up front or even in goals.

I always think full backs have an advantage in these debates given they are asked to do so much now....
Sandy Jardine back in the day was an outstanding defender and a potent weapon going forward. Easily a £40 million player in today's market if the mentally challenged is worth £25 million.

steven gerrard is widely regarded as one of the best all round English footballers of all time.

never seen him at left back, right back, centre forward, left wing, right wing, up front or even in goals.

He started off at right back at Liverpool. Played right wing and left wing for England. Also spent some time playing directly off a striker. So yeah, all rounder.

Brian Laudrup without doubt and a special mention to Barry Ferguson the best player we’ve developed in over 40 years

Back