Best all round player you have seen in a Rangers strip

Jim Baxter and wee bud were my alltime fav's,I was at JG'S testimonial v Scotland, and always admired him greatly,but the answer to your question has to be big DJ at both ends of the pitch,and especially for me upfront,when supplied by wee Tam from anywhere,he was deadly.

Barry Ferguson was the best all round player we’ve had. Could have played anywhere on the park and not looked out of place.

Not wanting to derail the cup final scorer thread, so starting this one. Best all rounder you have seen playing for us. In my opinion its Derek Johnstone by a country mile. He was lethal up front, a classy and formidable centre half and a more than capable midfielder. Thoughts?
Graham Robert's.

Superb defender and goalkeeper.

I'll throw in Stuart McCall here, we all know how good he was in midfield, but I remember him in central defence once in a Euro game when we had injuries, he was outstanding. Could also be relied on to get us a goal on occasions.

Not wanting to derail the cup final scorer thread, so starting this one. Best all rounder you have seen playing for us. In my opinion its Derek Johnstone by a country mile. He was lethal up front, a classy and formidable centre half and a more than capable midfielder. Thoughts?

I'm not old enough to have seen DJ play live, but the fact he was outstanding as a central defender and a midfielder, while being even better as a striker, suggests he's got to be the choice of most folk born in the 60s back.

Out of who I've been able to see, then Brian Laudrup was the best all round forward I've seen.

There hasn't really been a complete all round player like DJ in my lifetime.

I'm a sad individual who since the age of 15 ( 50 years ago!!)kept a book with every game i have been to. Gave every player a personal mark out of 10 after every game, had a player of the year every season in my opinion based on there marks. My 2 favourite players were John Greig and Tam Forsyth however the player who came out on top over all the seasons I went was the one and only Sandy Jardine consistency and class shone through all these years.

Graham Roberts was a great defender could also play in nets and was the best conductor I've ever seen :))

Reactions: TQ3
1st one I thought of was DJ, but then Sandy Jardine, but it has to be The Greatest Ever Ranger. Filled in any where on the park for the team! I mean who could forget his world class save in the 1973 cup final ;)

Ross McCrorie - GK, CB, DM, CM, playing full back for Pompey, and he’s only 22.

He’s got at least another 10 years to get the rest of the wide positions and up front sorted then he’ll have completed it.

I’m old enough to remember DJ and he was an outstanding player. He is probably the best player I have ever seen with the ball to his head.
However the best players I have seen playing for Rangers are Cooper, Laudrup and Gazza.
Coop and Lauders were amazingly good but for me Gazza when we had him was world class and technically way above anyone I have ever seen at the club.

Ian Durrant has to be in with a shout, excellent attacking mid, played up top on occasion and latter in career became a sitting mid at times

I'd say Gazza.

I honestly think he'd have done well in any position on the park, he has everything to his game.

He could go on mazy runs, wouldn't be shoved off the ball, cracking tackler, header, shooter and passer. You could imagine him doing well at wing back or centre half, winger, centre-mid (obviously) or up front.

Goalie is questionable I suppose!

I'd say Gazza.

I honestly think he'd have done well in any position on the park, he has everything to his game.

He could go on mazy runs, wouldn't be shoved off the ball, cracking tackler, header, shooter and passer. You could imagine him doing well at wing back or centre half, winger, centre-mid (obviously) or up front.

Goalie is questionable I suppose!
You didnt have to imagine DJ playing all different positions, he did.

Got to agree, cracking CF, decent CH, but can't really remember much about him playing midfield.

In my lifetime I've got to agree with the folk that said Gio. Competent at full back, wing back, holding midfield and attacking midfield.

Of the recent era we could go with McCulloch and Halliday at a very big push but we're all aware of the standard they were playing at.

My old man says DJ by a mile.

Possibly a question more geared towards older bears I would say given we can now get up to 4 substitutions in the modern game..

Only player I can really think of in my lifetime is lee mcculloch

played centre half, centre mid, and up front

possibly ricksen, right back, right mid and I’m sure he had a stint in centre midfield

Souness could pl at a pass, tackle ( strongly ) , shoot at distance , had a sublime touch and could motivate those around him

In my lifetime I've got to agree with the folk that said Gio. Competent at full back, wing back, holding midfield and attacking midfield.

Of the recent era we could go with McCulloch and Halliday at a very big push but we're all aware of the standard they were playing at.

My old man says DJ by a mile.

Possibly a question more geared towards older bears I would say given we can now get up to 4 substitutions in the modern game..

Good points about Gio.

I asked my old man the same question last night and he replied DJ within seconds.

All rounder in my time has to be Barry Ferguson, a position we have never come close to filling since he was last with us.

Hard to argue with DJ considering the positions he played for us but I think Gio is a great shout.

Back