Best all round player you have seen in a Rangers strip

Greig has to be a very strong candidate but Jimmy Millar gets it for me. Right half, left half, inside right, inside left, centre forward, sweeper centre back. Great header, two-footed, strong in the tackle. Nobody better.

Sandy Jardine back in the day was an outstanding defender and a potent weapon going forward. Easily a £40 million player in today's market if the mentally challenged is worth £25 million.
Started as a striker and finished as a centre back whilst being a genuine world class right back in between.
Still Johnstone for me though.

I know how biased I am as I've made it obvious for ages how highly I rated DJ, but his record as an all rounder sticks out a mile.

Won his first League Cup as a centre forward.
Won his first Scottish Cup and a European final as a centre half.
Won his first league championship playing many games in midfield.

And all that before his 21st birthday.

Gazza.
Maybe couldn’t do this or that as well as another player but as a complete package he was the best all round player I’ve seen playing for Rangers.

Not wanting to derail the cup final scorer thread, so starting this one. Best all rounder you have seen playing for us. In my opinion its Derek Johnstone by a country mile. He was lethal up front, a classy and formidable centre half and a more than capable midfielder. Thoughts?
Yep and was pretty round as well.

John Greig played many positions for us across the whole back line and midfield and was capped for Scotland in various positions.

Jimmy Millar also played many positions for us across the forward line, midfield and at centre half on occasion.

Derek Johnstone for me primarily was a brilliant centre forward, and a very decent centre half later in his career.

Greig wins it for me.

DJ is the answer but I’m surprised no one has mentioned Ian Ferguson, midfielder, who played up front, behind the striker, holding mid, right back and goalie.

laudrup simple as that, and yes he didn't play defence but anywhere from midfield to wings and useful enough with his head too so maybe c/h would nt have been an issue for him either.when he was in full flight we did nt need defenders anyway :)) .i have a photo presenting him with a P O T Y trophy at Ibrox. i m 6' and he s taller than me .would nt think it looking at him on a pitch the way he glided around made him look so light .

In my time, Reyna deserves a shout.
Played as a more creative midfielder behind the strikers for the USA and in Germany prior to signing with us - but played right back, right midfield and as a box-to-box midfielder and was always excellent.

All round player doesn’t mean they played in several different positions! Someone who could read the game, score goals, pass, tackle etc.. for me its Barry Ferguson

So difficult to compare not only different positions but different eras. For me DJ is a contender as is Sandy Jardine, both could have been top class in many positions.

Yep and was pretty round as well.
Only when Jock Wallace left. John Greig indulged his demands. Wanted to play centre half and wanted to be captain. He would never have tried this on with Wallace. Greig becoming boss was the beginning of the end for DJ.

Sandy Jardine, right back, sweeper, midfield and centre forward. No one else comes even close. He was good in all positions.

If your going with can cover a lot of positions then your talking about the likes of Whittaker and McCulloch in recent memory. But for me all rounder is a player who can do the lot and for that man was Gio Van Bronkhorst, tackle, pass long and short shoot, defend. He had it all.

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst a world class defender who was majestic in midfield for us and knew where the net was.

If your going with can cover a lot of positions then your talking about the likes of Whittaker and McCulloch in recent memory. But for me all rounder is a player who can do the lot and for that man was Gio Van Bronkhorst, tackle, pass long and short shoot, defend. He had it all.
Not cover, be first pick in.
Johnstone, Jardine and Greig weren’t shoehorned into different positions depending on who was available.
Sure, Jardine was never a first pick striker, to my knowledge, but, when he became right back it was his.
Ditto later in his career when he became centre back at Hearts.
I’m not sure Greig was ever a first choice right back either.
He certainly wouldn’t have been ahead of Johansen or Jardine but I can’t think of who’d have bridged any gap between these two.
That’s what makes Johnstone the choice for me.
He was first pick in all three positions in his time.
Actually, it was probably that versatility that made it easy to play him somewhere else and he’d make that jersey his.
A wee thing about Greig.
I posted years ago, when discussing our greats, that we’ve had better right backs, better left backs, better centre backs and better midfielders in our history.
However, when it came to picking a greatest team, Greig was a first pick for somewhere.
He was more than the sum of his parts.

Not cover, be first pick in.
Johnstone, Jardine and Greig weren’t shoehorned into different positions depending on who was available.
Sure, Jardine was never a first pick striker, to my knowledge, but, when he became right back it was his.
Ditto later in his career when he became centre back at Hearts.
I’m not sure Greig was ever a first choice right back either.
He certainly wouldn’t have been ahead of Johansen or Jardine but I can’t think of who’d have bridged any gap between these two.
That’s what makes Johnstone the choice for me.
He was first pick in all three positions in his time.
Actually, it was probably that versatility that made it easy to play him somewhere else and he’d make that jersey his.
A wee thing about Greig.
I posted years ago, when discussing our greats, that we’ve had better right backs, better left backs, better centre backs and better midfielders in our history.
However, when it came to picking a greatest team, Greig was a first pick for somewhere.
He was more than the sum of his parts.

My old man still raves about Johansen as a full back.

As for John Greig? He still insists he is the greatest Ranger he saw on the park.

Barry for me. May have been better all rounders before him but from my years growing up I can't think of any better. Had everything.

DJ for total football contribution, crucial positions and goals from them.

Ian Ferguson was also a player who was expected to be stand in keeper and played a few positions too.

All round player means a well rounded player not a utility player who can play several positions there’s a difference

I thought I did
But after reading this thread - it's now obvious I haven't got a scoobie

what I’ve gathered from this post is that an ‘all round player’ is open to your own interpretation.

some, like me, think this is the term for a player who performs all aspects of the game competently. Some, it seems, believe it’s a player who can perform numerous positions.

Back