• Bougherra

Votes: 41 4.4%
  • Goldson

Votes: 56 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 0.4%

• Total voters
I think it was Weir.

Amoruso far too reckless a decision maker at times. Made a lot of unnecessary errors.

Weir was dependable, could read a game brilliantly and made very little mistakes.

Cuellar was sensational, we played so many games that season it feels like he was here longer than a season.

Longevity may swing the way of Amoruso or Weir (other issues may cloud the judgement of some) but the best defender at Rangers since Gough left is Cuellar. By a street.

His short time with us may hinder him in this vote, which is fair enough.

Bugger. Meant to vote for Cuellar and my fat thumbs voted for Bougherra. If we’d had him in his prime it would have been Davie Weir all day long.

Cuellar’s one season for us was probably the consistently highest level I’ve ever seen a Rangers centre half play. I voted for him for that reason.

I think overall, on pure ability, Amoruso is probably the right answer.

Some big ones too.

Definitely cost us the SC Final against Hearts at the piggery, but overall, he was a great central defender.

Torn between Amo, Moore, Cuellar and Goldson.

Couldn't agree more re. Amo. Surprised he has had so many shouts.

Weir is the correct answer, even though he's nowhere near as talented as the likes of Bougherra, Boumsong, Goldson etc.

The club had become a soft touch, but then Walter came back and changed the complexion entirely. Weir's style is symbolic of that era: unglamorous, low-key, but gets results and, ultimately, wins things. He was a proper leader.

Three SPL title wins, three League Cups and two Scottish Cups. Then a UEFA Cup final and two Champions League campaigns. That's an unbelievable achievement in such a short time.

Being honest, you could probably argue he's on a par with Gough.

Weir is the correct answer, even though he's nowhere near as talented as the likes of Bougherra, Boumsong, Goldson etc.

The club had become a soft touch, but then Walter came back and changed the complexion entirely. Weir's style is symbolic of that era: unglamorous, low-key, but gets results and, ultimately, wins things. He was a proper leader.

Three SPL title wins, three League Cups and two Scottish Cups. Then a UEFA Cup final and two Champions League campaigns. That's an unbelievable achievement in such a short time.

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said and I do think there is an argument to be made that Weir was the best since Gough.

The only reason I’d say no is because I think the team were set up to ensure his lack of pace wasn’t as issue. He always had a very good defender in Papac to his left side and more often than not had two solid defensive midfields in front of him (I appreciate Mendes and Ferguson were more than just defensive players but they were more deep lying playmakers at that stage of their career).

Cuellar for me , was genuinely gutted when he left... as someone said earlier, you always felt he could give more if needed..

Carlos by a country mile. He almost single handedly got us to Manchester. His display in Florence is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said and I do think there is an argument to be made that Weir was the best since Gough.

The only reason I’d say no is because I think the team were set up to ensure his lack of pace wasn’t as issue. He always had a very good defender in Papac to his left side and more often than not had two solid defensive midfields in front of him (I appreciate Mendes and Ferguson were more than just defensive players but they were more deep lying playmakers at that stage of their career).

Wouldn't disagree with that. Especially in Europe, players with pace (Fabiano, Cacau) showed him up.

But at the same time, he exemplified the sheer winning spirit of that side. Over 50 appearances in season 2009/2010, and had to put up with some really average CB partners (McCulloch, for example, and he covered Danny Wilson a lot).

That team was built to mask his deficiencies, but he was worth it - at least domestically.

Sir Davie for me.

We were solid for four and a half years with Ehiogu, Cuellar, Bougherra, Dailly, Wilson and McCulloch filling in.

Weir was the constant though.

Voted for goldson even though I know am wrong

Just watched that battle fever video though - judgement seriously clouded

Wouldn't disagree with that. Especially in Europe, players with pace (Fabiano, Cacau) showed him up.

But at the same time, he exemplified the sheer winning spirit of that side. Over 50 appearances in season 2009/2010, and had to put up with some really average CB partners (McCulloch, for example, and he covered Danny Wilson a lot).

That team was built to mask his deficiencies, but he was worth it - at least domestically.

I'd argue he held us back in Europe apart from the Uefa cup final season.

I loved Weir but I also think his inclusion in the team affected other parts of the team because we had to try and protect him.

I think our performances in Europe over the past three seasons have shown us what we can do. The current team is the best I've Rangers team I've ever seen in Europe.

I loved Weir and I loved that Walter Smith team. Although it sounds like criticism it's not meant that way. That team gave me some of the best years of my Rangers supporting life. Weir was crucial to that.

I'd argue he held us back in Europe apart from the Uefa cup final season.

I loved Weir but I also think his inclusion in the team affected other parts of the team because we had to try and protect him.

I think our performances in Europe over the past three seasons have shown us what we can do. The current team is the best I've Rangers team I've ever seen in Europe.

I loved Weir and I loved that Walter Smith team. Although it sounds like criticism it's not meant that way. That team gave me some of the best years of my Rangers supporting life. Weir was crucial to that.

Nah, I know exactly what you mean.

It's a hard one to articulate, but with no signings in that final season, I just think he had a spirit that was priceless. The bollocking to Lafferty at halftime springs to mind. He just "got it" and knew how to get us over the line that year. Pure grit ratherr than ability.

I thiink a lot of people remember him less fondly because of what has transpired with Warbs as well.

Looking back though, it was absolutely ridiculous we were going into games with Davie Weir up against a peak Luis Fabiano. No wonder we got pumped lol.

Nah, I know exactly what you mean.

It's a hard one to articulate, but with no signings in that final season, I just think he had a spirit that was priceless. The bollocking to Lafferty at halftime springs to mind. He just "got it" and knew how to get us over the line that year. Pure grit ratherr than ability.

I thiink a lot of people remember him less fondly because of what has transpired with Warbs as well.

Looking back though, it was absolutely ridiculous we were going into games with Davie Weir up against a peak Luis Fabiano. No wonder we got pumped lol.

There is no doubt he was a great captain. We're talking about subtleties in his performances and how if affected our team at the time but his leadership and captaincy can never be called into question. A modern great in that respect.

Yeah it's crazy when you think back on it. 5-4-1 in the champions league with guys like Foster and Broadfoot at wing back and guys like Whittaker playing wide midfield. At the time we thought that was the only way we could get results in Europe but thankfully this current team under Gerrard have shown us a different way.

Think Goldson's getting a bit hard done by here. Maybe he'll be remembered more fondly after he's left.

Goldson hasn't won anything with us (yet).

When winning things is what we consider our purpose, it's no surprise that Goldson has so few votes (comparatively).

We value average players who win a lot of trophies higher than good players who don't.

This isn't supposed to be a dig at Goldson either btw, just a general view.

There is no doubt he was a great captain. We're talking about subtleties in his performances and how if affected our team at the time but his leadership and captaincy can never be called into question. A modern great in that respect.

Yeah it's crazy when you think back on it. 5-4-1 in the champions league with guys like Foster and Broadfoot at wing back and guys like Whittaker playing wide midfield. At the time we thought that was the only way we could get results in Europe but thankfully this current team under Gerrard have shown us a different way.

Guys like Foster and Broadfoot would be nowhere near a Gerrard team imo. The former just isnt good enough, the latter too much of a bellend (even when he was at his "peak".)

I always thought the Walter way was how we could win in Europe, but as you say, its crazy to see us holding our own while playing good, progressive football.

Not sure its the best squad, but its definitely the most athletic. Players like Kamarra, Jack, Kent; even Davis and Morelos to an extent are absolute animals in terms of fitness. That's before you get to our defenders...

Guys like Foster and Broadfoot would be nowhere near a Gerrard team imo. The former just isnt good enough, the latter too much of a bellend (even when he was at his "peak".)

I always thought the Walter way was how we could win in Europe, but as you say, its crazy to see us holding our own while playing good, progressive football.

Not sure its the best squad, but its definitely the most athletic. Players like Kamarra, Jack, Kent; even Davis and Morelos to an extent are absolute animals in terms of fitness. That's before you get to our defenders...

Foster is the only player who I "hated" when he played for us.

Gerrard has turned us into the modern football club that we've all wanted for years, both on and off the pitch. Walters style was very successful (especially domestically) but I think we'd all admit the way we play now is much more exciting.

Tavernier is the absolute epitome of what you're talking about. I know he's injured now but since he signed he's missed less then 20 games. The squad we have right now isn't the most talented we've had but I'd certainly make an argument that it's the most balanced we've ever had.

This is a good question.

I don’t think it’s fair to include Goldson purely because he’s still playing and folk will vote for the players the resonate with.

This is very, very hard.

I voted Amo, but he could make blunders, as could the other defenders on this list to be fair.
A great player and character but how many times did The Martian turn him....I voted Goodson based on a flawless season. He has grown into the role in what is a high pressure season. Had a soft spot for Carlos and Weir was immense.

Amoruso has so many votes because he was fucking magnificent. That's why.

No matter how people feel about him Terry Butcher is our finest central defender in the last 40 years, Gough was great but Butcher was better
Watching both play together Gough for me. In the 1987 2-2 draw when Gough scored in last minute Butcher was sent off and Roberts in goal - no way were we bringing that back without Gough playing centre back and in up in attack

For that one season, I’d go Cuellar. Amo probably for longevity though he did have the odd brain fart.

Weir was outstandingly solid for 4 seasons though his lack of pace was exposed in Europe at times.

Back