• Bates

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Hill

Votes: 30 3.9%
  • A.N Other D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are two Goldsons. The one who played really well for us up to the winter break of season 18/19 ; and the one who played after that break and who played only a handful of good games but for the most part is morphing into Danny Wilson.

Go and watch the win at Celtic Park, the home game v Feyenoord. Braga away. Porto. The whole 90 mins.

Kind of makes a mockery of your Danny Wilson claim.

The continued placing of faith in Tavernier and Goldson as team leaders is the sole reason Gerrard will not be successful at Rangers.

He's backed the wrong horses.

I also firmly believe he'll learn from that mistake and be a better manager in the future.

I probably didnt answer the question correctly but i voted Bates for potential. I really thought he could have been great for us but i cant argue with the poll results

Goldson by a distance for me. Gets a lot of undeserved stick imo
He’s statistically the best defender we have and statistically the best passer we have from defence also. Few poor passes aside his distribution is generally unrivalled hence opposition marking him and letting Katic have the ball. The stick is hugely unwarranted, that’s without factoring in we only conceded 19 goals in 29 league games.

At his Peak Alves , but he was finished by the time Pedro signed him. Also liked big bocanegra. But had to vote for CG.
I'd agree Alves, but I don't think he was finished as such, I think it was more a combination of a strange style of football compared to what he was used to, and more importantly I think he was genuinely half arsing it. Not going down the shitebag route that others did but I think there was a sense that he was going through the motions just to keep himself in the fold for the Portugal squad.

Voted Bocanegra.
Although I can't remember him in the lower divisions.
Thought him and Goian went off on loan, never to be seen again.
Darren McGregor also did us a good turn during his time.

Inspired by my own opinion on Goldson, who I believe is the best CB we've had since that fateful day at Peterhead when we battled to a creditable (in the then manager's eyes) draw with Peterheid, state your case for your choice.

I think Goldson's been huge value for what we paid, and he'll be sold for significant profit.

This is not about future potential, it's about what has been achieved up to this point in royal blue.

He's the marshal of a defence that has contributed immensely to some huge nights for us. He talks the others through a game, and is, for me, the glue that binds the back 5 together.

Until such time as we can afford an upgrade (pacier, nastier) - he's my pick.
I wanted to vote for Russell Martin, but wasn’t given the choice

I'd agree Alves, but I don't think he was finished as such, I think it was more a combination of a strange style of football compared to what he was used to, and more importantly I think he was genuinely half arsing it. Not going down the shitebag route that others did but I think there was a sense that he was going through the motions just to keep himself in the fold for the Portugal squad.
Agreed , maybe finished was the wrong word , his best days were definitely behind him though.

The continued placing of faith in Tavernier and Goldson as team leaders is the sole reason Gerrard will not be successful at Rangers.

He's backed the wrong horses.

I also firmly believe he'll learn from that mistake and be a better manager in the future.
Spot on .... We are crying out for Leadership and neither have that in their make up i'm afraid

Katic.
Helander could be if he gets fit.
Overall we’ve been really poor in this position since Weir and Bougherra left the club.

It was traditionally the mark of a real Rangers side in the past as well with good commanding cbs.
He‘d probably have the best “pedigree” but he hasn’t proven to be better than Goldson.

Goldson but imo its an area we need to improve in, Katic occasionally is a threat from set pieces, Goldson is a man short when we take a set piece. Defending is first and foremost but we need a threat from attacking point of view

Oh and Helander is getting better and better the longer hes out

Goldson but imo its an area we need to improve in, Katic occasionally is a threat from set pieces, Goldson is a man short when we take a set piece. Defending is first and foremost but we need a threat from attacking point of view

Oh and Helander is getting better and better the longer hes out
This can’t be a top priority for selecting a centre back.
I‘d accept it for the full back positions but, not centre back.

I don't think you can include the likes of Bocanegra when he only played 6/7 games in the Third Division.

The best has been Goldson. If Helander had played more games last season, it might have been him.
Bocanegra had a season in the top flight under McCoist.

Edit: I see where you’re coming from now, apologies.

Last edited:
Go and watch the win at Celtic Park, the home game v Feyenoord. Braga away. Porto. The whole 90 mins.

Kind of makes a mockery of your Danny Wilson claim.
Forgot about that home game versus Feyenoord, Goldson was a monster that night. They whipped about 20 crosses in the last 20 minutes and he batted every one of them away to %^*&.

This can’t be a top priority for selecting a centre back.
I‘d accept it for the full back positions but, not centre back.

Didn't say its a top priority, said its something we need improvement in, its fair to say the amount of efforts that fly off Goldsons head in opposition box is appalling. We dont have loads of height from middle to front so rely on Centre Halves at set pieces, we should score far more than we do from them

Goldson is best of what we have from a Centre half perspective however is liable to switch off defensively at times, suppose im used to successful Rangers teams having dominating Centre halves, we dont have that right now imo

Probably Goldson, the guy gets an unreal amount of unjustified critisism on here. Would love to have seen Bocanegra in the SPL, he just seemed to have something about him

So get a midfielder or a left back to do it.
Does it really have to be one of these two, and that’s even considering you being correct.
No, not at all, however the point i was replying to mentioned that our Captain and Defensive 'Organiser' were being relied on by Gerrard to provide that leadership. We certainly need someone to grab the team by the scruff of the neck when the going gets tough ... the current crop have shown no evidence that they can do it unfortunately

We really have struggled in that department, and still are struggling. Hopefully Edmundson continues to develop and Helander comes back fit and ready. Maybe a position that Ross Wilson will look to improve in the window.
I’d be quite happy to go into next season with the four we have just now.
If we can improve on it, all the better, but it wouldn’t be a priority for me.

Are people forgetting how good a player Bocanegra was?

He played 7 games in 2012/13 (just 7 more than John Greig in the same period and I’m not including him) in the period outlined in the OP as ‘since the journey began’

That list is the stuff of nightmares.

Bocanegra would get my vote despite the stiff competition.

Says everything about how far Danny Wilson fell from grace that he has no votes in this when you consider how highly regarded he was before be left for Liverpool.

Bocanegra is probably the best player, but didn't contribute much in the lower echelons where the journey began. For me it has to be Goldson as he has been pretty much ever present and been pivotal in our Europa League successes. Sure he's made a few mistakes, but he's been more than steady IMO.

Back