• Bates

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Hill

Votes: 30 3.9%
  • A.N Other D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bocanegra was a class act his full season with us but after we got demoted him and Goian gave the impression they would rather have been anywhere than the 3rd division and the performances the handful of games for us showed that. That’s why he did not get my vote. I would have loved to have seen them both stay for a while (I HATE the reference to the journey) - would have been quite the upgrade on Perry and Cribari!

Bocanegra for me. A no nonsense defender who just kept things simple and was excellent at reading the game. Very rarely made any mistakes, certainly not many if any spring to mind. Extremely professional and I wish not had we got him in earlier but for longer. Ideal as a captain as well.

For me the only reason someone like Goldson would be considered better is that he has had longer in the team

He played 7 games in 2012/13 (just 7 more than John Greig in the same period and I’m not including him) in the period outlined in the OP as ‘since the journey began’

Better than that Goian has a vote for every game he played 3

Mental

Truth be told it's a sorry list when compared to our CHs of the past:confused:

With the exception of Colin Jackson, our early to mid 1980s central defenders don't have a great pedigree.

Stevens, Paterson and McLelland weren't exactly trophy laden in their Ibrox careers.

Goldson, Helander, Katic and Edmondson give us the best quality and depth of central defenders in Scotland and they have all performed brilliantly for us against top European opposition.

They're obviously not in the Butcher, Gough, Graham Roberts or Ronnie McKinnon class, but they're far better than some on here are making out.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the exception of Colin Jackson, our early to mid 1980s central defenders don't have a great pedigree.

Stevens, Paterson and McLelland weren't exactly trophy laden in their Ibrox careers.

Goldson, Helander, Katic and Edmondson give us the best quality and depth of central defenders in Scotland and they have all performed brilliantly for us against top European competition.

They're obviously not in the Butcher, Gough, Graham Roberts or Ronnie McKinnon class, but they're far better than some on here are making out.

Agree.

The central defence also carry the can for mistakes made elsewhere, often putting them in ‘nae chance’ situations.

Those mistakes are made up top and wide but more critically in central midfield and full back

I’d love a pacy, cultured rock, but those cost astronomical money.

The poll really makes of mockery of the fairy pish about Katic being the big fans favourite that can do no wrong doesn’t it? Quite a few who love to peddle that bollocks.

Go and watch the win at Celtic Park, the home game v Feyenoord. Braga away. Porto. The whole 90 mins.

Kind of makes a mockery of your Danny Wilson claim.
Like me you’re entitled to your opinion. But I’ll give my reasons for my view. I did say since that winter break Season 18/19 he has played a handful of good games and you have probably identified them. The are worthy of remark due to their being exceptions. There may have been a few more too but it’s not enough. Maybe the Wilson comparison was too harsh in making a point but the fact is, these handful of games are in stark contrast to his level of performance since that 18/19 break. He takes too long to release it, and is too keen on erratic long passes or short balls played back and forth among the back line. He rarely plays it quickly through the middle and passes up many opportunities to drive into space through the lines. He can be shrugged off the ball too easily and is prone to the lapses in concentration. He is not the only culprit but whatever happened in that winter break, he became a different player. Get the player we had back before then and you have a different player, but it seems he’s undroppable. Probably because the other centre backs were not god enough to make his position their own.

Bocanegra!

But what a bang average group to pick from!

Shows how far we are from what we once were sadly and how much further we still have to go!

Goldson, no debate. Doesn't mean he is amazing lol, but he's of a Rangers standard at least. Bocanegra a close second.

I suspect technically, big IKEA will be the best of the lot by next year.

Truth be told it's a sorry list when compared to our CHs of the past:confused:
This with knobs on - but then I cut my Ibrox teeth in the salad days of Ron McKinnon. You'd have a packed Ibrox (or Hampden) plus 21 players looking at how Rangers were attacking but the canny Ron was setting himself up for the counter attack and had the pace and guile to snuff it out.

This is why Big Baw Face chose him for Scotland over McBungle.

As for the question? Clearly Goldson but we have signed some utter dross.

Probably Helander with Edmundson might work. Edmundson’s pace may compensate for Helander’s lack of pace and vice versa with positional sense. Would like to give that a try. I would like Ross McCrorie to be loaned out for another year but as a centre half - always thought he had the potential for that role ( with a bit of experience alongside)

Seems a bit unfair that Worrall and Kieran don’t even get on the poll when you consider some of the names included.

im not suggesting they’d even get a vote but surely they contributed more than Senderos

I know Helander didn't play too much but he looked a class player maybe not pacy but his positioning and how assured he looked was levels above Goldson, who is 2nd.

Helanders positional awareness with Goldsons long passing and Alves ability in the air, would be some frankensteins Monster of a defender.

Torn between Goldson and Katic. Gave it to Katic as I feel he has the potential to be a top top player.

Goldson by a distance. He’s gifted a few trying to overplay but that’s the style we’re told to follow.

Our defence gets a lot of stick but has actually been very good and he’s our main man. Our issues for me are a) that Alfredo a great player but refuses to score for weeks at a time and b) the spread of goals in the team just isn’t good enough when Alfredo plays.

Goldson but Alves was the best player just a pity he wasn't interested

Really difficult, there is not a single player there that has performed consistently well for us although there have been exceptional individual performances.

I still think we need to find the dominant centre back that will take us to the next level

Slim pickings here - would have to go with Bocanegra though Goldson (as much as a bombscare he can be) closely behind.

Went for Captain America. For me, head and shoulders the best CH and footballer on that list. He’s walk into our team just now imo and his leadership qualities would be highly beneficial.

I think Alves Was excellent but due to injuries he wasn’t really given a chance
Hill was also Excellent

Has to be Goldson. Boca left at the start and Helander hasn’t played enough. The rest are nowhere near Goldson.

Special mention to big Clint. What a guy.

An
I know Helander didn't play too much but he looked a class player maybe not pacy but his positioning and how assured he looked was levels above Goldson, who is 2nd.

Helanders positional awareness with Goldsons long passing and Alves ability in the air, would be some frankensteins Monster of a defender.
Add in Katic goal threat to that!

Back