best defender at club ?

John A

had this debate with bro in law he says goldson heralded are best option defo dislikes Katic ,
I reckon Katie is our most promising defender in first team squad at gutted he is out , what thoughts bears ?

Katic
had this debate with bro in law he says goldson heralded are best option defo dislikes Katic ,
I reckon Katie is our most promising defender in first team squad at gutted he is out , what thoughts bears ?
Katic not katie damn autocorrect

Don’t think we’ve seen enough of Helander yet to judge him properly so Goldson probably is our best defender, but he is prone to the odd laps in concentration.

Think that we can’t pick out who the standout defender is, is a bit of worry.

Helander and then Edmundson.
Goldson & Katic on their day are superb, but there’s far too much inconsistency.
I’m hoping Lewis Mayo has an opportunity to step up to the plate to the first team squad as back up with Katic out ufn. Even better would be Aidan Wilson being re-signed. Showed great promise.

It's a hard one. Goldson, Helander, Katic and Edmundson have all stood out in some games but they've all had howlers too. Katic certanly seems to be treated more harshly than the rest for mistakes for some reason and finds himself unfairly benched for long spells, whereas any errors from the other 3 especially Goldson seem to be overlooked. So Katic for me really hasn't had a fair crack at times which has stunted him.

Helander and Edmundson have probably been more consistent than the other 2 in the short times they've been in the side and made fewer mistakes. H was just probably getting into his stride when he was unfortunately injured so we may not have seen the best of him yet, and Ed's all round game is impressive, probably the best passer of the 4 amongst many other qualities.

Goldson's decent, but I think we've seen the best of him, and the others are already there or there abouts but they have other levels to find imo which puts his shirt on a shaky peg for me. He seems to be the coaching staffs first pick but theres no way he is head and shoulders above the others despite having the most chances and longest run in the team, which is a worry.

So if pressed, I'm going to have to say Helander is just out in front of Goldson at the minute and thats the 2 I would start the season with. But my honest belief is that Edmundson is potentially the best footballer of them all. Sadly Katic s now out of the mix for a time which doesn't help him iron out the kinks in his game, which will stunt him further. Shame as I think we all have a soft spot for him.

Don't think we've ever seen Helander and Edmundson together yet, but could they ultimately be our strongest pairing? It wouldn't surprise me.

I like helander but he has 0 pace so katic

Did you see Dykes running away from Niko while he was carrying the ball at Ibrox?

He made Niko look like he was running in quicksand.

He's not much quicker than Helander.

Order of pace amongst our central defenders.....
1)Edmundson 2) Mayo 3) Goldson 4) Katic 5) Helander.

Haven't seen Bassey and he is more of a full back, but he's meant to be rapid.

GOLDSON for me only just our 2 wing backs are superb going forward but flawed defensively. I do think however edmunson with a chance to play regular will become club capt there is a player in there who could go all the way distribution is good scores goals and hard as nails ticks all the boxes maybe this year he will make his big break through

Was Davie Weir a bad defender cos he was slow?

No but when at us he had a careers worth of experience to cover his lack of pace. I know he was never the quickest at any point in his career, but prob still faster than Helander.

Not a dig at Helander, think he looks solid and a great reader of the game as well tbh, but his lack of pace could leave us exposed.

That's two different points. Best defender in title and most promising in the post.

Katic is the most promising and I really like him, he gives us options when we have a corner as well.

Goldson is the best defender backed up by the stats.

Don’t think we’ve seen enough of Helander yet to judge him properly so Goldson probably is our best defender, but he is prone to the odd laps in concentration.

Think that we can’t pick out who the standout defender is, is a bit of worry.

Manager watching squad play, and unable to decide who is the standout between Neymar, Mbappe, Messi and Ronaldo... Bit of a worry.

No but when at us he had a careers worth of experience to cover his lack of pace. I know he was never the quickest at any point in his career, but prob still faster than Helander.

Not a dig at Helander, think he looks solid and a great reader of the game as well tbh, but his lack of pace could leave us exposed.

We used to say the same of Davie Weir (which was almost a caracature of a player lacking pace) but we know if your ability to read is good enough and your centre back partner isnt dragging an anchor round the pitch too it need not be a hindrance.

The fact that there is such a varied opinion tells me that we need another defender. Great Rangers teams of the past always had a stand out central defender that 99% would agree was the main man in defence. Too much chopping and changing last season for me.

To be honest all four of them are not up to scratch. We need two reliable CB’s, and a team built round them. How can we have a settled team when changes in defence are made almost weekly. Oh for a Butcher, a Gough, Amo.

Reactions: dmg
Goldson and Helander are our best pairing and best defenders Katic on form is very good but unfortunately he has a confidence issue and his form isn’t consistent but he will improve as he matures Edmundson if he lives to be 100 will never be good enough sadly Mayo is promising albeit I hove only seen him a couple of times probably need to see more of him before deciding. Our full backs get stick for their defending but because of the system we play they spend most of the time attacking and imo are criticised unfairly the should be getting more support from Defensive midfield and Centre backs. I actually think both Tav and Borna are the best full backs in league by a mile !

To be honest all four of them are not up to scratch. We need two reliable CB’s, and a team built round them. How can we have a settled team when changes in defence are made almost weekly. Oh for a Butcher, a Gough, Amo.
Our problems don’t lie in defence we had the same goals against as the other lot ! It’s the fact we don’t score goals that is costing us !

Helander. But Goldson and Katic are very good too. Still gutted for big Niko. Edmundson and Mayo are for the future.

I feel big goldson gets a lot of stick in general.... The guy has literally played in a pairing with every other centre half we have on the books. He makes mistakes (like all of them do) but I think he's our best defender. Katic is a beast in Ariel duels, but sometimes is too eager to get in about it and finds himself out of position...goldson covers there and when he doesn't cover gets blamed.
Genuinely think the best partnership we had was goldson and helander last season. When helander was in the team we conceded 4 league goals. After he got injured we conceded more than double that. Big Edmondson looks solid too, but definitely still learning

Helander is the best for me just now but I actually think Edmundson is the most promising. Him and Katic are both good on the ball, strong, quick and good in the air but Edmundson is a bit less erratic

I get that football is a game of opinions but "Katic is the best defender at the club" is pretty much objectively wrong

Apart from a couple of wobbles katic for me is the best, just because gerrard doesn't think so doesn't necessarily make it so, goldson gets a free pass a hell of a lot more than katic, and lets be clear here gerrard like most managers have their favs, katic has caps for his country.

Tough call between Goldson and Helander.

The 2 of them are the best partnership without a doubt. I think a fully fit Helander will prove to be our best defender.

Goldson was easily the most consistent over last season. Helander play well when he was in the team . Katic and Edmundson were a bit erratic in games.

Each individual has shown decent form
& regrettably they're all capable of mistakes
What worries me - is not the mistakes so much - but how they play as a unit

There were times during last season even when we were getting good results - our back four looked as if they'd never met each other - let alone played together

They hardly ever cover for each other properly imo -
Many mistakes that were made were avoidable - but if they'd been playing solidly as a unit - most of them wouldn't have been a problem

Goldson may have made fewer mistakes than others- & that's all the more admirable considering the number of games he played - but there were times when he dropped his teammates in it & I don't believe he was a good influence on Katic - or at least he didn't exactly get his back or encourage him when he was on the ball & cover the areas where he might be leaving a gap

In my opinion we need a better understanding amongst our back four - with better teamwork betwen them -
I don't know what's causing this - but I'd like to see it improved- before we start to replace anyone

Helander looked good but did not have enough time to be judged properly so I will go with Goldson.

Barring the game against livi where we were fortunate to win and keep a clean sheet, Helander and Goldson were an absolute rock at the back the first half of the season, but with Katic, Goldson slightly declined in form.

Katic seems to do better in European games and games against Celtic though.

So in my opinion it’s Helander, but we have different types of centre backs to utilise in different games

Back