Best euro atmosphere

Was just about to write the same thing, Leipzig is coming to the grave with me!

People around me where on top of seats, hugging people around them even hugging people that where rows in front of them, people ending up seats away from where they sit and when the final whistle went it was sensational, I’ll remember that forever and really hope we all experience it again soon.

Leipzig defo,
i thought the Dortmund game was up there aswell was bouncing had 2 of my sons next to me which added to the night.

When the magnificent barsteward says Kiev was the best atmosphere he played in, it must be special.
He did play I a lot of big games
Both Koev and later Parma were unbelievable.
But probably the feeling of getting to a major final just tops the other 2.

In my lifetime its definitely Leipzig, an unbelievable night, thought Braga and Dortmund were pretty good aswell but probably nowhere near how good Leipzig was.

As a younger bear, can i ask what was it that made that game so special, was there any background to the game for example
Re the Kiev game, it’s as much the context around it.

From the period 1979-86 Rangers were shit. In 7 seasons we managed not one proper title challenge and invariably our league season was over by Xmas. The league season would peter out and rearranged fixtures would be held in midweek to a backdrop of sub 10k crowds at Ibrox.

In April 1986 Souness was appointed player-manager. That summer we signed the England centre half and no 2 goalkeeper.

We were never off the back pages and were seriously linked with buying any of the top players plying their trade in England.

We won the league in 1987 and attention turned to the European Cup. Like our league record in 1979/86 our European form was similarly dire never once progressing past the first 2 proper rounds. There was one electric night against Inter when we beat them 3-1 but already trailed 3-0 from the first leg.

Kiev were effectively the Russian national team and one of the favs to win the European Cup.

I recall after the game travelling back to Partick and hearing on the radio that we were expecting to complete the purchase of Richard Gough within the next couple of days for £1.5m. Gough was the Spurs captain and had only been down south for 12 months. No-one considered the deal to be a flight of fancy - a top player was moving and Rangers were the buyers. Before the year was out Ray Wilkins would leave PSG to join us as well.

As we left the Enclosure after the Kiev game, a chant of “We’re going to win the Cup” broke out, I’d wager anyone singing it thought annexing the European Cup was a question of when not if.

Been at every game always quoted with exception of Bayern 72 (to youn
For years I thought that game against Parma couldn’t be topped.

But the Leipzig game Eclipes it.

To experience that with my dad, uncle, father in law and a few close friends Who sit together was something else.

Just watched the video again with mixed emotions.

Despite the outcome of the final the game against Leipzig will live with us forever.

The noise
The passion
The sheer emotion
Memories for a lifetime

Obviously it's an age thing also

Leipzig was sensational as well as historic
But I still put Kiev in 87 as the most intense and noisest atmosphere I've been in at Ibrox.
Was at Kiev, Leeds,Parma and every other game mentioned as been fantastic for atmosphere with exception of Bayern 1972 ( too young).
For me Leipzig the best.

Leipzig and braga this season for me… Parma was the benchmark up to then.

With braga and the SC semi I lost my voice then it happened again with Leipzig!

It's Leipzig for me, but I can only go back as far as Palma.

However, my old dad can go as far back as Leeds and Newcastle in the late 1960s, right through Bayern, Juventus, Kiev and Leeds etc.

He was at them all.

He still thinks Leipzig beats any of them.

Yes, it’s undoubtedly the greatest for me.

Kiev was my high, but on the night I got over early with my brother & son, went to see Gough & Saint Phnx in the fanzone, in the stadium just after 7.30 and within ten minutes the volume of the singing was just special. I just sensed then that this was a special night in my life.

Throw in the early goal & then Lundstram’s late winner, then the singing after the match for 20-30 minutes ?

The greatest, bar none.

Was at the parma game unbelievable, braga game had everything, sat at home watching this & crying my eyes out when it finished. Football fucking hell.

Yes, it’s undoubtedly the greatest for me.

Kiev was my high, but on the night I got over early with my brother & son, went to see Gough & Saint Phnx in the fanzone, in the stadium just after 7.30 and within ten minutes the volume of the singing was just special. I just sensed then that this was a special night in my life.

Throw in the early goal & then Lundstram’s late winner, then the singing after the match for 20-30 minutes ?

The greatest, bar none.
I still love this video

I’ve been fortunate enough to be present at many of the great days and nights at Ibrox since the late 80s, Kiev, Marseilles, Leeds, (missed Parma as was on holiday), the Braga game was sensational, when Roofes 5th minute disallowed goal went in, the place was rocking but RBL was the best ever, hands down.

Genuinely think the atmosphere has gotten better since the UBs became less anti-BHEAST and it’s rubbed off on the fans.

The carnival atmosphere they’ve created with the new songs lauding our players has been brilliant and created an atmosphere that is famous all over Europe.

Hope we get to see CL this season.

Last edited:
Imagine Ibrox with 85,000 bears in it, and 75,000 of them standing.

That was the scene v Bayern in 1972, and it was fantastic.

In saying that, for me Leipzig was better. The reason is that a Euro semi final was more or less expected back in those days. There was always next year and you generally had a good chance depending on the draw.

Euro semi finals getting settled at home are pretty rare, and the fans have to savour every moment. We did.

For years I thought that game against Parma couldn’t be topped.

But the Leipzig game Eclipes it.

To experience that with my dad, uncle, father in law and a few close friends Who sit together was something else.

Just watched the video again with mixed emotions.

Despite the outcome of the final the game against Leipzig will live with us forever.

The noise
The passion
The sheer emotion
Memories for a lifetime

Wouldn’t trade that night for any domestic honour and that’s before taking into account the other games on the run up to the final. I don’t think I’ll ever get over losing the final but those Ibrox nights during that run will stay with me forever. Still proud of the team and hope they all stay to have another go.

I missed the leipzeg game... but the Braga game then right onto beating them at hampden was the best couple of days of football/atmosphere i can remember. I remember half time at braga people were singing when queuing up for pies etc it was bouncing
Yeah, The pulp fiction song went on for ages into half time vs braga, was very unusual

Until Leipzig, I always thought the loudest I had heard Ibrox was when Wallace equalised the first year v. Parma. The rendition of the Billy Boys was through the roof.

I also remember the hagi v braga, when he scored that free kick the atmosphere and celebrations around me was something I will always remember.

Leipzig and braga this season for me… Parma was the benchmark up to then.

With braga and the SC semi I lost my voice then it happened again with Leipzig!
So did i mate exact same infact after the sc semi i didnt know it, as was wrecked after game woke up next morning had an important phone call.to take. Knew my throat was sore but went to answer phone, but i couldnt speak had to get my son on call to tell them ill call back another day ive lost my voice ,was 3 days but was worth it.:D

Last edited:
i've always thought Leeds was a bit overrated. I would agree that it at the start of the match, the noise was defeaning, and at that point might've been the loudest I have heard. But Mcallisters goal flattened it, and (imho) it never really recovered. 2-1 on the night felt like we'd struggle away from home.

Even in that season, I thought the marseilles game was better, as a mirror image. Dead as we got a going over, but once we got back in it, the atmosphere was superb.

Watched the Leipzig game in the house.
The atmosphere looked unreal but there is one thing that'll live with me for years.
Such a simple thing, and just before this footage, but Alex Rae shouting "yeesss" at full time sent shivers down my spine. And set me off to which the Mrs told me to wise the fck up - they don't understand!
Wish I'd have taken more games in this European run....

i've always thought Leeds was a bit overrated. I would agree that it at the start of the match, the noise was defeaning, and at that point might've been the loudest I have heard. But Mcallisters goal flattened it, and (imho) it never really recovered. 2-1 on the night felt like we'd struggle away from home.

Even in that season, I thought the marseilles game was better, as a mirror image. Dead as we got a going over, but once we got back in it, the atmosphere was superb.
The very same happened against Man Utd in the Champions League in 2003. The noise pre match was absolutely frightening. Blue sea of Ibrox on the back of the blue cards to hold up. TBB during the Champions League anthem was deafening. Ruined by Phil Neville of all people.

Still watch the highlights of Leipzig and all the crowd videos etc on the regular, feel so privileged to have been there. A special, special night not just in terms of being Rangers related but life in general, euphoria off the charts.

A game that's overlooked in terms of noise and atmosphere is Sturm Graz in 2000,makes my top ten Euro nights

Place was bouncing ,one of those nights everything came off for us and we skelped them 5-0
I'm sure Ronald De Boer made his debut that night
I remember this one clearly. We were coming into this off the back of that 6-2 defeat by Celtic. Confidence was not high. There was also the petrol crisis to contend with and it was a nightmare getting to the game on public transport. I had to pull my mate out of the subway at Cessnock as he was starting to take a panic attack as it was so overcrowded.

The build up to kick off was quiet until the teams came out and then all hell broke loose!

I had never seen a team shit themselves like that before at Ibrox.

we missed a penalty and hit the bar that night too

If I walked into my bedroom to find J Lo and Rihanna in a clinch naked waiting on me and a genie pops out and says "Right you can have this or be transported back to Ibrox for the Leipzig game again",it would be "Sorry ladies,where's my scarf".
It was that good.

Was Parma for me, until Leipzig

Surrounded by my mates at the game, limbs unlike any others I’ve been part of.

Celebrations for every goal followed by FT in disbelief along with my mates.

Genuinely just surreal and I think about that Leipzig game at least once a day, it was that good.

Even when I got home I lay in bed awake until about 3am just buzzing with all my mates on WhatsApp even though I’d been at the game with them. Watching video after video.

Probably at least once a day search for some Twitter videos of the FT scenes and the goals. Especially the Lundstram goal which was utter bedlam and fair play to the DJ for the song as that notched it up even more

Chances are slim but I’d give my right baw to get another semi final game like that.

Reactions: CF4
I don't really buy in to the best ever atmosphere thing . Juventus in 1978 was good but I would think Bayern in 1972 would have been better. Kiev was good and Parma. Leeds was brilliant and Man Utd. How can anybody say one was better than the other,

I don’t get those saying Leeds. Great build up and teams coming out but they scored in 30 odd seconds and killed it stone dead. We came back into it and won but I remember everybody around me in West Enclosure and back on the bus believing 2-1 was not enough. Leeds were undefeated in 18 months at Elland Road

Parma was some night but Leipzig was on another level

Agreed. Gary Mac goal killed the atmosphere against Leeds.

In no particular order, Bayern Munich 72, Dynamo Kiev and Leeds, havent been at any of the recent European games so i cant compare them

There's been a load of amazing matches, most are forgotten about because ultimately we didn't win the tournament generally. We beat Stuttgart 2-1 where I think Lovenkrands scored in 2003? Porto 3-2 under Eck as well. 2-0 Juventus 1978. I would have to go for something that was a special occasion so I go for the Battle of Britain against Leeds, the 1st half was perhaps the most exciting football I've seen, end to end and we got our noses in front and eventually went through. The noise when the teams walked out was amazing.

Brugge 1993 is another one that is forgotten. Down to 10 men and we battled for a 2-1 win, a phenomenal evening that helped us to within a victory of being European champions. Scott Nisbett's winner took the roof off.

Without a doubt, Leipzig at home has been the best atmosphere ever experienced at Ibrox for me. Went to the Dundee Utd game a few days later and honestly couldn't believe what had happened on Thursday night even then. Was majestical!

Back