Best footballer from a terrible footballing Country

Thread title isn't clear. Are we trying to name the best player from all the shit countries combined or just the best for their own country?

Ruel Fox for Montserrat would count for the latter of the two. Great player in the early days of the Premier league. Doesn't get near the best player in all of them, mind.

What we are not trying to do and what we have ended up doing is naming multiple players from countries who have produced multiple world class players.

FF is amazing.

Giggs, Wales
Barry Ferguson, Scotland

Far too good for the dross they had to perform alongside for their countries

Oops

Thought my thread title was pretty clear..bad footballing countries wouldn't fall under Scotland, Mexico, Romania?

It was very clear, however this is FF, FF has a lot of people on it who quite frankly are not very bright,

You can try to make things idiot proof like thread titles and meanings but it seems like there is someone out there creating better idiots each time you do.

I’ll nominate Emanuel Adebayor for Togo.

Played with top English teams as well as Real Madrid.

Scored over 30 goals for a nation who have qualified only once for a WC and only made it as far as the QF in the African Cup of Nations.

Jon Daly from the micks :)

Can’t think of too many Malians to rival Freddy Kanoute?
Peter Ndlovu from Zimbabwe?

Hate to say it, but has any Kenyan played at EPL level or equivalent like Wanyama?

Edmond Tabsoba at Leverkusen for Burkina Faso. Could make a case for Bertrand Traore as well but pretty sure those two would be the highest ranked for that glorious footballing nation. Probably some mad player from 40 years ago that I don’t know about though :D

Geoff Hurst. Scored two goals (!) in a WC final which England have only won once and never won the Euros! That makes them close to a terrible international football team with that record. I can't remember the year they won that World Cup though because they never mention it!

Last edited:
Jon Daly from the micks :)

Can’t think of too many Malians to rival Freddy Kanoute?
Peter Ndlovu from Zimbabwe?

Hate to say it, but has any Kenyan played at EPL level or equivalent like Wanyama?
Seydou Keita. His medal haul could probably be melted down to pay off Mali's deficit.

McDonald Maringa won a CL medal with Inter. Wanyama was probably a better player though.

Geoff Hurst. Scored two goals (!) in a WC final which England have only won once and never won the Euros! That makes them close to a terrible international football team with that record. I can't remember the year they won that World Cup though because they never mention it!
You've been at the overlook hotel bar for far too long tonight.

You've been at the overlook hotel bar for far too long tonight.
Yes, Jack Torrance loyal here with a wee ironic comment as a few posters were naming George Best from Northern Ireland (as a terrible team). At least NI know their place in international football and yet we have qualified for 3 World Cups and a Euro. England never let anyone forget about 1966!

Last edited:
If Guernsey counts as a footballing 'country', Matt Le Tissier.

Think Graeme Le Saux was from Jersey as well.

Marian Pahars - Latvia
Mehdi Mahdavikia - Iran
Arnold Peralta, Emilio Izaguirre - Honduras
Keylor Navas, Paolo Wanchope - Costa Rica
Antonio Valencia - Ecuador

And his brother and the other multiple world class players they have produced you mean? the schmeichels, Morten Olsen, Christian Eriksen, Poul Nielsen, Dennis Rommedahl and Paulie Jørgensen, Thomasson, Preben Elkjaer, Lars Elstrup.

Dear god almighty.
I would argue he is the best player born in Austria

Back