Best footballer from a terrible footballing Country

Nearly forgot about Massimo Bonini!

Won 3 Serie A titles, 1 Italian Cup, 1 European Cup, 1 Cup Winners' Cup, 1 European Super Cup and 1 Intercontinental Cup and he came from San Marino :D

In terms of personal achievements and utter, utter pishness of the country :) , this has to be the thread winner.

Great shout.

Reactions: FSM
would be hard to beat weah, bonini and eusebio

this thread has now gone down the route of naming average players from terrible footballing countries

Are you just naming players you’ve heard of from smaller nations?
What, because I mentioned Izaguirre? Can you name a better Latvian than Pahars? Or a better Costa Rican than Wanchope?

At least I’ve got the calibre of national team along the right lines unlike 75% of others on the thread.

What, because I mentioned Izaguirre? Can you name a better Latvian than Pahars? Or a better Costa Rican than Wanchope?

At least I’ve got the calibre of national team along the right lines unlike 75% of others on the thread.

They had Navas that played for Real Madrid and PSG and won the league with both, and also won the CL multiple times.

I'd say that's a much higher standard than Wanchope ever played, whose biggest success in football is winning the English Championship.

They had Navas that played for Real Madrid and PSG and won the league with both, and also won the CL multiple times.

I'd say that's a much higher standard than Wanchope ever played, whose biggest success in football is winning the English Championship.
Agreed mate but I also mentioned Navas in my original post. Wanchope’s scoring record for Costa Rica was exceptional, regardless that most of those goals were against the lesser nations of the Americas.

Half the countries people are mentioning routinely qualify for tournaments so can't exactly call them terrible.

Massimo Bonini is probably the best example, guy who played at the very top but represented one of the very worst nations. During his peak years he had the chance to play for Italy as San Marino didn't have a team but he declined and eventually made his debut when San Marino formed in the early 90s

Faiq Jefri Bolkiah. Only Bruneian footballer to sign for a European club (Chelsea).

Also the world's richest professional footballer. A little bit of trivia for you all. :)

OK some really questionable suggestions on this thread so in that spirit I give you the one and only Matt Le Tissier.

At the risk of falling foul of @Fbearblue, Ferenc Puskas?

Not saying Hungary were not once a top team, but in modern times haven’t qualified for the World Cup in 34 years. Puskas must easily be their most recognisable player.

In terms of personal achievements and utter, utter pishness of the country :) , this has to be the thread winner.

Great shout.
Even more impressive is that he turned down the chance to play for Italy!

“Even though he was capped nine times by the Italian Under-21s and was entitled to play for the Italian national side, in order to do so he would have had to give up his San Marino citizenship. Bonini had no intention of making this sacrifice, and even though Enzo Bearzot and Azeglio Vicini, the national team managers during his pomp, asked him to play for Italy on several occasions, he repeatedly declined.”

Georgia have never been known for producing world beaters but Giorge Kinkladze was a special player and now they have what is going to be soon one of the best footballers in the world, Kvicha Kvaratskhelia.

Back