Best foreigner to play in Scotland but never played with either Old Firm

Dundee had a few very good players in the late 90s/early 00s - Nemsadze, Speroni and Caballero all come to mind.

More recently both Skacel and Eremenko.

The 'Tayzzuri' side of assorted Argentinians, Italians, Spaniards and (randomly) Georgians were quite entertaining but were horrifically inconsistent. Think they only scraped into the top 6 of the split a couple of times.

Schmeichel, Krul, Kozma, Ravanelli, Baltacha, Sauzee all fantastic players either before they came to Scotland or after they left.

Gilhaus was a very good player for the sheep in the 90s. Victor for St. Mirren also comes to mind.

Who was the Spanish international Livingston had when they first got promoted?

Guillermo Amor.

Was at the very end of his career.

Patrick Kisnorbo was a solid defender, made a career in England after leaving Hearts.
Alexei Eremenko was a stick out at Killie.
Rudi Skacel for Hearts and latterly Raith Rovers too.
Mixu Paatalainen was a hard big striker to deal with as well.

Hans Gilhaus (sp) in my lifetime.

Remember when Golac at Dundee Utd put a £15m price tag on the head of Jeremy Nixon? Mega!

I can’t actually remember if he was actually that good but I remember he could play a few positions but...

Thomas Flogel for Hearts

So many people simply ignoring or misunderstanding the entire point of the thread!

The Dundee goalie who went to Crystal Palace and became a legend for them was good. Julian Speroni.

And purely for the underserved hype, I remember Morton fans creaming themselves over Marko Rajamaki in the 90s.

Skacel in recent times has to be the shout, Jambo’s love him, had a sweet left peg and scored great and important goals. A lot of names from late 80’s early 90’s at Aberdeen and Dundee Utd already been said. Motherwell has a couple of good ones as well, Luc Nijholt was a classy defender, and Mitchel Van Der Gaag.

When hearts had their lithuanian contingent there was a big striker who had won a european cup winners medal with porto a couple of seasons earlier, im not going to attempt to spell his name

Julian Speroni in terms of foreign players who made a lot of appearances in Scotland has got to be up there - over 100 appearances for Dundee according to his wiki and then went on to have a career with Cystal Palace in the EPL. Can't be many in that boat.

Although Schmeichel was obviously the better goalkeeper he was only in Scotland briefly.

So many people simply ignoring or misunderstanding the entire point of the thread!

The Dundee goalie who went to Crystal Palace and became a legend for them was good. Julian Speroni.

And purely for the underserved hype, I remember Morton fans creaming themselves over Marko Rajamaki in the 90s.
I remember hibs were the same with de la Cruz assume hype record signing , tbf he did turn out pretty decent

Zoltan Varga, Aberdeen.
Hungarian international who played for Ferencvaros, Standard Liege, Hertha Berlin, Aberdeen, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Augsburg and Gent. Won the UEFA Cup (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup as it was known then) when Ferencvaros beat Juventus 1-0 in the 1965 Final.

Saw him play a couple of times and in truth he was far too classy to be playing with Aberdeen but it was an escape from his bribery scandal whilst with Hertha. No surprise when he left for a club the quality of Ajax although it was a short-lived spell before moving to Dortmund (he performed so well with Aberdeen he was seen as plugging a gaping hole left by the departing Johan Cruyff).

Sadly died on the football pitch whilst playing in a veterans match at the age of 65.

Varga was the first name that came to my mind on reading the OP. Top, top quality!

Caballero immediately sprang to mind.

What a weird time in the history of Dundee that was.

Another one who went on to carve a decent career was Ricardo Vaz Te.

Not in the class of player being mentioned here, but those two Moroccans the Hivs had when Joan Collins was their manager stood out at that level.

One of them had a very good game against us when McLeish or PLG was manager.

Not in the class of player being mentioned here, but those two Moroccans the Hivs had when Joan Collins was their manager stood out at that level.

One of them had a very good game against us when McLeish or PLG was manager.
Zeroualia was decent Aswell keeping on the Moroccans

Julian Speroni in terms of foreign players who made a lot of appearances in Scotland has got to be up there - over 100 appearances for Dundee according to his wiki and then went on to have a career with Cystal Palace in the EPL. Can't be many in that boat.

Although Schmeichel was obviously the better goalkeeper he was only in Scotland briefly.

That's a great shout. He was a top quality goalkeeper.

Back